EPL Official Fantasy 2013/14

Started by elephants, July 17, 2013, 02:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Post questions, teams, any news related to fpl here :)

I'll kick us off.

Bale worth 12 mill?

Quote from: Vicious Sandwhich Attack on July 24, 2013, 10:40:53 PM
Official FPL FF Leagues

Okay Guys and Gals,

Two Leaues created and the League codes. I have limited the Head to Head League to 38 at this point. If we get those numbers then everyone plays each other once. If more show up to join we can make a call to either increase the size of this League to unlimited in which case not everyone will play each other, or create a Second Division; maybe with a view to some promotion/relegation next year?

FanFooty El CLassico (CLassic League) - League Code: 61032-114725

FFH2H (Head to Head League) - League Code: 61032-114769

Spread the word!

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

Quote from: elephants on July 17, 2013, 02:32:26 PM

I'll kick us off.

Bale worth 12 mill?

Cheers LE,

Just came in to set up a new 'official' thread.

My thoughts on Bale after one nights thinking about it. I won't give a conclusive answer, because much will change between now and the beginning of the season. I'm also going to include RVP in my thoughts, because one of the big questions is going to be, do you start one, or both..

When I first looked and saw RVP at 14.0 I was a little shocked, but not surprised. When I later saw 12.0 on Bale I was stunned! I didn't expect that price at all; it is very high!

That said,  we have seen in the past the absolute midfield guns start at this price... Gerrard, Ronaldo, and Lampard have all started the season at similair prices as midfielders. Some years they were worth it at that price, some years they were worth waiting for. In one case, (from memory), Ronaldo started at 15.0 - He still ended up worth the price tag from the beginning!  :o

Bale is an exceptional talent no doubt about it, and will be easily the best midfielder come seasons end.

Having both in your team is going to draw 26.0 from your 100.0 budget immediately. That is a lot of $$ for less than 20% of your team. To be assured value for money, you will want to be scoring at least 30 between them from the get-go, including the assumption you have one of them captain. Unfortunately both of them are on the same side of the draw (By this I mean they both play at home, and both play away the same weeks) until Gameweek 7, and then they are only on opposite sides of the draw for a couple of weeks. So there is no advantage in having both and putting the 'C' the one that has the home game.

The Draw:

RVP Fixtures until Gameweek 7 - Swansea (A), Chelsea, Liverpool (A), C Palace, Man City (A) West Brom.
Bale Fixtures until Gameweek 7 - C Palace (A) Swansea, Arsenal (A), Norwich, Cardiff (A), Chelsea.

For me the points go to Bale for a slightly softer draw to start.

I am yet to check the past history, but if my memory is correct Bale has taken a month or so to get going each season. Of course he was younger then and still becoming an 'elite' fantasy player, last year finally making it but it is worth mentioning. (I will let lou know later if the stats call me a liar!  ;D ) This is not a concern with RVP.

Do you need to start BOTH of RVP and Bale?.... probably not, because both provide you with a perma-captain of quality which is what you are really looking for from these two players, IMO, RVP is the better option as shown last year with only four games where he did not provide an assist or goal. Effectively he scored 6 points every week as a minimum which leaves you being able to focus on other things in your team rather than worrying about who should be captain each week. He has history on his side.

Ownership:

Early days as teams are only just beginning to be built (Although it is probably more the pros that have begun selecting teams, so will be a good guide IMO), but Bale is in 50% of teams, and RVP is in 33.6%. How does this help? If Bale starts with a higher ownership %, there is only one way he can go.... down in price!(I'm looking at the Swansea and Arsenal games) Bear in mind that FPL is based on net transfers, if Bale has a couple of bad games a lot of people will jump quickly, especially if RVP scores well those weeks. Anyone that started Bale over RVP will look to correct their selection quickly. The most he can drop in any one gameweek is 0.3, but with such a solid ownership base early on there is every chance this can happen. Two bad weeks, and thats a .6 drop to 11.4, which is much more attractive.

To answer the question directly, Bale WILL be worth 12.0.

Does he present better value than RVP at 14.0?.... I think that is a 50/50 proposition.

Start both??..... Do everything you can to start both, but be wary of comprimising the balance of your team.

Nige

Would an early team analysis be an acceptable request?

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

And heres the price calculator as promised, which was 'refreshed' today with this years data... on the front page for everyone. It's a slightly different format from last year, but should give you the same information, and help with trade timing.

If anyone has questions about how to use it feel free to ask away....

Obviously, it is of no use until about 9PM Saturday 17th August.  ;)

http://www.fiso.co.uk/crackthecode.php

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

Quote from: NigeyS on July 17, 2013, 06:03:44 PM
Would an early team analysis be an acceptable request?

Go for it... It helps to see what everyone elses line of thought is. :)

Nige

Gone the ol' 4-4-2. Never (and by never I mean always...) fails me. ;)

GK: Cech (Tremmel)
D: Luiz, Garrido, Agger, Baines (Riether)
M: Mata, Michu, Sessegnon, Pilkington (Jarvis)
F: Van Wolfswinkel, Deulofeu (Anelka)

I'm happy with it tbh. Big fan of Wolf and Deu. My love for Luiz, The Juan and Michu is too high not to include them, and I've always been a fan of both Sessegnon and Pilkington. As for Agger and Baines, well, they're probably two of my favourite defenders in the EPL. Oh and... WHO BETTER THE PETR? ;)

Thoughts/Hate/Worship/Constructive Criticism?

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

Quote from: NigeyS on July 17, 2013, 06:36:18 PM

I'm happy with it tbh. Big fan of Wolf and Deu. My love for Luiz, The Juan and Michu is too high not to include them, and I've always been a fan of both Sessegnon and Pilkington. As for Agger and Baines, well, they're probably two of my favourite defenders in the EPL. Oh and... WHO BETTER THE PETR? ;)

Really strong first-up effort Nigey!

Your FWD line is the obvious weakness for mine. Have considered Van Wolfwinkel myself (coz i love the name! ) but really need to do some research there. Same goes for Deulofeu, but all reports I've heard are positive.

Anelka is wait and see for me. We occasionaly see older big name players return to struggling clubs, and rarely do they light the world on fire. Couple this with his with 3 goals from 22 apearences in the Chinese Super-League last year doesn't fill me with confidence. Especially with the step up in class that the PL will be.

Murray from C Palace could be a good option for that price. Third highest goal scorer in Europe last year taking into account top two divisions of the top five leagues... Only behind Messi and Ronaldo!!   8) I don't think he will have quite the impact Lambert did last year though.

You need at least one perma-captain (RVP or Bale). Mata is solid, but can have form losses for a few weeks at a time. He's just not quite in the same class as these two.

I'd be looking at these two things, which is obviously going to be a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario from your defesive players.

Nige

Cheers VSA (love your name by the way haha! 8))!

Totally forgot about Murray, solid back-up for the price. I use Deulofeu on FIFA and have seen him play, Everton will be nuts not to play him. Wolf is great and should score regularly enough for Norwich.

I'm happy to captain Mata, I have faith. I just don't know whether I'm willing to pay so much for RVP or Bale, even though they're great players.

elephants

Quote from: Vicious Sandwhich Attack on July 17, 2013, 05:59:03 PM
Quote from: elephants on July 17, 2013, 02:32:26 PM

I'll kick us off.

Bale worth 12 mill?

Cheers LE,

Just came in to set up a new 'official' thread.

My thoughts on Bale after one nights thinking about it. I won't give a conclusive answer, because much will change between now and the beginning of the season. I'm also going to include RVP in my thoughts, because one of the big questions is going to be, do you start one, or both..

When I first looked and saw RVP at 14.0 I was a little shocked, but not surprised. When I later saw 12.0 on Bale I was stunned! I didn't expect that price at all; it is very high!

That said,  we have seen in the past the absolute midfield guns start at this price... Gerrard, Ronaldo, and Lampard have all started the season at similair prices as midfielders. Some years they were worth it at that price, some years they were worth waiting for. In one case, (from memory), Ronaldo started at 15.0 - He still ended up worth the price tag from the beginning!  :o

Bale is an exceptional talent no doubt about it, and will be easily the best midfielder come seasons end.

Having both in your team is going to draw 26.0 from your 100.0 budget immediately. That is a lot of $$ for less than 20% of your team. To be assured value for money, you will want to be scoring at least 30 between them from the get-go, including the assumption you have one of them captain. Unfortunately both of them are on the same side of the draw (By this I mean they both play at home, and both play away the same weeks) until Gameweek 7, and then they are only on opposite sides of the draw for a couple of weeks. So there is no advantage in having both and putting the 'C' the one that has the home game.

The Draw:

RVP Fixtures until Gameweek 7 - Swansea (A), Chelsea, Liverpool (A), C Palace, Man City (A) West Brom.
Bale Fixtures until Gameweek 7 - C Palace (A) Swansea, Arsenal (A), Norwich, Cardiff (A), Chelsea.

For me the points go to Bale for a slightly softer draw to start.

I am yet to check the past history, but if my memory is correct Bale has taken a month or so to get going each season. Of course he was younger then and still becoming an 'elite' fantasy player, last year finally making it but it is worth mentioning. (I will let lou know later if the stats call me a liar!  ;D ) This is not a concern with RVP.

Do you need to start BOTH of RVP and Bale?.... probably not, because both provide you with a perma-captain of quality which is what you are really looking for from these two players, IMO, RVP is the better option as shown last year with only four games where he did not provide an assist or goal. Effectively he scored 6 points every week as a minimum which leaves you being able to focus on other things in your team rather than worrying about who should be captain each week. He has history on his side.

Ownership:

Early days as teams are only just beginning to be built (Although it is probably more the pros that have begun selecting teams, so will be a good guide IMO), but Bale is in 50% of teams, and RVP is in 33.6%. How does this help? If Bale starts with a higher ownership %, there is only one way he can go.... down in price!(I'm looking at the Swansea and Arsenal games) Bear in mind that FPL is based on net transfers, if Bale has a couple of bad games a lot of people will jump quickly, especially if RVP scores well those weeks. Anyone that started Bale over RVP will look to correct their selection quickly. The most he can drop in any one gameweek is 0.3, but with such a solid ownership base early on there is every chance this can happen. Two bad weeks, and thats a .6 drop to 11.4, which is much more attractive.

To answer the question directly, Bale WILL be worth 12.0.

Does he present better value than RVP at 14.0?.... I think that is a 50/50 proposition.

Start both??..... Do everything you can to start both, but be wary of comprimising the balance of your team.

Amazing reply! Thanks legend!

Currently will be starting Bale and leaving RvP but am very very wary of the ownership point you made that I bolded ^ :)

Quote from: Vicious Sandwhich Attack on July 17, 2013, 06:05:38 PM
And heres the price calculator as promised, which was 'refreshed' today with this years data... on the front page for everyone. It's a slightly different format from last year, but should give you the same information, and help with trade timing.

If anyone has questions about how to use it feel free to ask away....

Obviously, it is of no use until about 9PM Saturday 17th August.  ;)

http://www.fiso.co.uk/crackthecode.php

Wicked! Will need to have a play before August 17 8)

Quote from: NigeyS on July 17, 2013, 06:36:18 PM

I reckon you've gone a little strong in defence Nigey. Downgrade someone and inject money into the mids and fwds imo :)

More of a question for yourself here VSA.
Is Mingolet Liverpools new number 1? He looks pretty tasty @ 5.5 mill if he can beat out Reina, especially considering Pool's early fixture and their clean sheet likelihood.

Cheers champ!

Nige

A Liverpool keeper? I could never!  ;)

I probably will ditch someone from defense, probably Agger. Then I'll turn one of Sessegnon or Pilkington into a better mid, maybe a Man City lad?

Jukes

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

Well, now that it seems my supercoach team has been taken up the top paddock and put to sleep......  :'( It's EPL all the way! perfect timing really.  ;D

I am not really sure on the GKP situation at Pool LE.

You have to assume we got Mignolet in for a reason, but we're a sentimental bunch at Anfield; we wouldn't just chuck Pepe out with Tuesday nights rubbish.  ;)

I suspect Pepe will be given a chance first up, with Mignolet getting his chance here and there. If Pepe genuinely slips up though....He will be one testimonial from retiring to whatever sun drenched part of the world takes his fancy.  ;D

Don't forget Aussie Brad either, but he's obviously not really in the picture if they went and got a new keeper of Mignolet' quality.

I would be hesitant to select either until we know who the first choice keeper is. Keepers are something I try to put little work into during the year.

I'll be 'keeping'  8) tabs on the pre-season games though, and will let you know if any patterns point to a conclusive answer.

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

Quote from: NigeyS on July 17, 2013, 10:41:08 PM
Cheers VSA (love your name by the way haha! 8))!

Totally forgot about Murray, solid back-up for the price. I use Deulofeu on FIFA and have seen him play, Everton will be nuts not to play him. Wolf is great and should score regularly enough for Norwich.

I'm happy to captain Mata, I have faith. I just don't know whether I'm willing to pay so much for RVP or Bale, even though they're great players.

Scrap Murray Nigey!  :'(

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/06/23/crystal-palace-line-up-bid-for-norwich-city-striker-grant-holt-as-cover-for-glenn-murray/

Keep looking!

Jukes

Vicious Sandwhich Attack

Are there any Fulham fans around that may be able to shed light on Kacanaklic' chances of playing regular first team football?