Main Menu

Ziebell, again....

Started by roo boys!, May 27, 2013, 05:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roo boys!

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-05-27/ziebell-cops-four-weeks

Cops 3 weeks for trying to smother the ball...yep seems fair to me.

Initially a 2 match ban which is ridiculous anyway IMO as he had no other alternative than to brace for the impact, but then this is the bit that really gets me, his previous bans and carry over points drag it up to a 4 match sanction.

Early plea gets it back down to 3 but still, I am of the belief that every incident should be treated on an individual basis, whether someone copped a few weeks a year ago shouldn't be relevant what so ever as to whether they should be punished for their misdemeanour this week.

QuoteThe Match Review Panel's findings were as follows:
Jack Ziebell, North Melbourne, has been charged with a Level Two engaging in rough conduct offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Jarryd Lyons, Adelaide Crows, during the second quarter of the Round Nine match between North Melbourne and the Adelaide Crows, played at Etihad Stadium on Sunday May 26, 2013.

In summary, due to his previous poor record, his two-match sanction is increased to a three-match penalty, even with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Adelaide Crows Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct What do you suggest he does? Get cleaned up himself rather than brace for the oncoming impact? (two points), low impact (one point) and high contact (one point). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of seven matches suspended within the last two years, Which he doesn't deserve in the first case...increasing the penalty by 50 per cent to 337.50 points and a three-match sanction. He also has 67.50 points carried over Don't see how this is relevant to his hit on Lyons?from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 405 points and a four-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 303.75 points and a three-match sanction.

Also Brown copping a week for the Lions I'm not too impressed with either.

TeeJay

Take your North Melbourne hat off. He chose to leave the ground and lay a bump and hit the head. We all know that anyone that chooses to bump and hits someone in the head is going to get weeks.

Jroo

The MRP don't like Ziebell  :'(
Not good to see him miss, he was starting to play some great footy.

Ziplock

when I first read your post rb I thought that like he'd gone to smother a handball or something, and slipped, hitting lyons.

like, I like JZ, I have him in euros and dont want to see him miss, but as teejay said, he really flowered up, intentional late him, high, hard enough to knock a bloke over, the original 2 weeks was if anything generous.

he wasnt bracing for impact... bracing for impact would have been stopping, or  trying to, not jumping.

CrowsFan

RB honestly don't see how you can have any complaints. He attempts a "smother" nowhere near the ball, then leaves the ground and twists his body so that he connects with Lyon who was in the most vulnerable position since he had just kicked the ball so had his body open and loose. JZ is just lucky that there wasn't a concussion or he would be out for longer.

Holz

His 4 week suspension last year was a joke, however I agree that bump deserves weeks. I agree with RB though I don't like it went from2 to 4 he was robbed last year with that 4 week suspension and really he got 6 weeks fir that bump as it caused him to get another 2 now.

He should be gettiing 2 weeks and that's it. No carry on points and no bad record

Ziplock

yeah,  you can make an argument for last year- that was a joke.

this one, the initial 2 weeks was fair enough.

roo boys!

Alright I can see what you mean CF/Zip he did leave the ground as seems to be his playing style - I love it but has landed him in a lot of trouble lately. DON'T CHANGE THE WAY YOU PLAY ZIEBS

In fact would have been down to 1 game with early plea for this offence but the carryover points/bad record take it to 4 down to 3. This is the part that really irks me.

As CF said too, Lyons bounced straight back up and got on with it, if he was concussed who knows, the MRP would probably have Ziebell sit out the rest of the year.

Ziplock

If he was concussed, JZ would have gotten 4, which would have been fair, 6 with the record.

Nige

While the bump did deserve weeks, the MRP don't like him like JROO said.

I thought he'd been playing some good footy recently too. Hope he comes back and immediately picks up where he left off.