EXV: 2013 Fixtures and Results

Started by Holz, April 12, 2013, 12:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

well, holz in that scenario actually finished last based on points, not on %, but the point is applicable to the final positions of norway and scotland (had holz gotten 4 wins instead of 3 he would have finished 13th, despite significantly outscoring england)

http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,55738.0.html

norway was the better team over the season and scored more points, tied with scotland on HA points, yet finished lower on the ladder and got a higher draft pick.

anyway, you get it.

also has an effect on finals draw which I dont think I highlighted in the pm.

JBs-Hawks

Why dont we just get rid of the home and away season, get rid of positions and just go on total points scored ::)

The draw is half the bloody fun of XVs, if your a lesser team you can hope to upset one of the better teams on the your day.

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on May 21, 2013, 10:25:41 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 21, 2013, 10:14:33 PM
Yes, that draft picks thing is a killer point.

Like its criminal that I got pick 3 last year when he was actually the best team in the comp!

Seriously though, I'm sold Zip.

Fixed.

Nup

Holz

Quote from: elephants on May 22, 2013, 12:43:53 AM

Like its criminal that I got pick 3 last year when he was actually the best team in the comp!

Fixed.

Nup

you might be wanting to improve your 2-4 record when you start throwing out those comments. The roulletes are looking super strong, I need a mid season trade period to trade some defenders for forwards to make me invincible.

Ziplock

well, I can't actually respond to any PM's atm because I've hit my cap.

But, ftr JB,

'You dont need to prevent there scoring just score more then them

Gws got destroyed by 100+ by the crows yet games against better sides such as hawks and bombers were closer, why? Because even in the afl its luck of the draw and dependant on which opposition team rocks up. It wasnt necessarily that crows played better then the hawks it was that gws played worse. '

you've just proved my point. In the AFL, if a team plays better, their opposition won't score as much against them (to simplify). In euros, even if your team plays great, it won't influence the scoring of your opposition at all.

And, as I said before

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on May 21, 2013, 11:07:25 PM
Why dont we just get rid of the home and away season, get rid of positions and just go on total points scored ::)

The draw is half the bloody fun of XVs, if your a lesser team you can hope to upset one of the better teams on the your day.

That system would actually more accurately show a teams strength and be fairer. It's not practical however, since the majority of the fun comes from the head to head competitions. The % change itself doesn't detract from that at all, but it does mean that come the end of the season, the top 8, final draws and draft picks will be more fairly allocated.

ossie85

(pokes head in)

Zip makes good points!

And not just because it would have meant in Worlds last year I would have made the finals instead of 9th :(

But it is luck of the draw, that's the point in my view. But either system is valid! But it is fantasy football, and to me that includes a percentage - like every other AFL fantasy comp.

Confused by Zip saying the AFL didn't have a system in place for the AFL 2010 drawn Grand Final? It was in the rules all along, happened twice before, and made the AFL bucket loads of money - I think it was a very deliberate system! But that's off topic :P

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Ziplock on May 22, 2013, 10:50:15 AM
well, I can't actually respond to any PM's atm because I've hit my cap.

But, ftr JB,

'You dont need to prevent there scoring just score more then them

Gws got destroyed by 100+ by the crows yet games against better sides such as hawks and bombers were closer, why? Because even in the afl its luck of the draw and dependant on which opposition team rocks up. It wasnt necessarily that crows played better then the hawks it was that gws played worse. '

you've just proved my point. In the AFL, if a team plays better, their opposition won't score as much against them (to simplify). In euros, even if your team plays great, it won't influence the scoring of your opposition at all.

And, as I said before

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on May 21, 2013, 11:07:25 PM

That system would actually more accurately show a teams strength and be fairer. It's not practical however, since the majority of the fun comes from the head to head competitions. The % change itself doesn't detract from that at all, but it does mean that come the end of the season, the top 8, final draws and draft picks will be more fairly allocated.

No my point was just like the afl in euros you can come up against a team that out performs its average so you just gotta cop it and deal with it.

Holz

just go undfeated throught the year and than dont need to worry about percentage of all, not sure why you guys just dont do that ;)

Ziplock

Quote from: ossie85 on May 22, 2013, 10:56:30 AM

(pokes head in)

Zip makes good points!

And not just because it would have meant in Worlds last year I would have made the finals instead of 9th :(

But it is luck of the draw, that's the point in my view. But either system is valid! But it is fantasy football, and to me that includes a percentage - like every other AFL fantasy comp.

Confused by Zip saying the AFL didn't have a system in place for the AFL 2010 drawn Grand Final? It was in the rules all along, happened twice before, and made the AFL bucket loads of money - I think it was a very deliberate system! But that's off topic :P

yeah, sorry os, I addressed this in the private messages, I got confused because at the time people were saying that the system in place was dodgy, and how they wanted extra time instead or w.e

Like, this system will still include percentage, it's just that it'll be based on an arbitary number (for instance, 1300 for the raw score), but it just eliminates a bit of luck. Like, the difference between getting pick 1 in the draft and getting pick 4 based on % rather than overall points can be a pretty huge difference to how a team goes.

Anyway, it's going to a vote, we'll see how it rolls :P

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on May 22, 2013, 09:53:17 AM

Fixed.

Nup

you might be wanting to improve your 2-4 record when you start throwing out those comments. The roulletes are looking super strong, I need a mid season trade period to trade some defenders for forwards to make me invincible.

I've said it before. Season isn't won in the first six weeks ::)

And I'll throw out whatever comments I want regardless of my ladder position.

Holz

Quote from: elephants on May 22, 2013, 04:10:04 PM

Fixed.

Nup

just make sure you make finals. After all the preseason talk anything short of a grand final postion will be an embarrasment.

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on May 22, 2013, 04:13:11 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 22, 2013, 04:10:04 PM

Fixed.

Nup

just make sure you make finals. After all the preseason talk anything short of a grand final postion will be an embarrasment.

Pfft, whatevs mate. We have been killed by injuries and shower form. We'll be fine.

JBs-Hawks

You almost lost to a Beamsless England :P

elephants

'almost' ;)

We are a team that cares about our fans. We want them to see some excitement ;)

JBs-Hawks

Almost beating the Bashers is one of Englands highlights of the season and we will live it up accordingly :P