Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 29, 2015, 06:05:29 PM
A stat I found interesting is that the Lions have only won a single quarter so far this year

Started very similarly last year iirc
Knew that one Big Mac but was not game to publish. We won a quarter against the Pies,

kilbluff1985

Aish is gone i'm calling it

outta here

Ringo

he is not playing well at all KB.  Whether his contract is having an effect on him do not know but it is a lot for a 19 year old to have on his mind as well.
Aish only had 6 possessions in 2 and half quarters on Sunday and if you were a coach would you accept that from a midfielder, Aish recorded no tackles as well something he was strong at last year. Maybe it is mental with him with contract as I say and if so really needs to clear his head.

GoLions

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 30, 2015, 06:54:35 PM

outta here
I think most people are "calling it" :P
Won't be letting him go cheaply though

EDIT: If he does stay however, that's great haha

Ringo

I may consider an Aish for Tom Lynch trade,

Ricochet

outta here
haha people have been calling it for a while now man, its almost expected now.

Nige

Quote from: Ricochet on May 01, 2015, 11:14:05 AM

outta here
haha people have been calling it for a while now man, its almost expected now.
At this point, it's a mere formality.

Capper

Quote from: GoLions on April 30, 2015, 10:27:38 PM

outta here

no way he stays. Just hope the Lions get something decent for him

Big Mac

Quote from: Capper on May 01, 2015, 03:10:59 PM
Quote from: GoLions on April 30, 2015, 10:27:38 PM

outta here

no way he stays. Just hope the Lions get something decent for him

Howe?

Just a thought

nas

Reckon home factor SA just which 1.

Ringo

As I said earlier Aish for Tom Lynch - Meets our need of a ready made forward whilst Close and Freeman continue to develop.

Mailman the 2nd

Lynch is progressing a lot better than Aish is at the moment. I suspect it wouldn't be an even swap by the end of the year

powersuperkents

I think Aish wants to return to Adelaide

Also, after watching that QClash, I don't think it's Aish who is the issue - it's hard to perform in a substandard team. I honestly, don't know what Leppitsch is doing when he drops players. The only time teams can do that is if they have depth. When the Lions do it, they drop a decent player for a rookie and end up losing by +50. I don't see any long-term prospects with the side either tbh. I know they always start slow but, excluding Beams, this is not AFL standard. Injuries can't be an excuse for that match either, Gold Coast where missing more players, who were of better quality than those Brisbane were missing..

They will really need to do a lot in the second half of the season and I feel that the club's hyping up of Pearce Hanley's return could just exacerbate their detriment. The Lions have a lot to focus on after that game  :-\ 

Ringo

lgree Power to some extent.  Our skills are shocking but like most club supporters will not desert the club.  The big issue is imo is players have lost confidence in one another and are afraid to take the game on like we were doing towards the end of last year. In saying that I am seeing some improvement in some areas Redden is starting to return to his best with 7 tackles today and Mitch Robinson has played his best game since joining the Lions.  Bear in mind Beams, Christensen and Robinson had to gel with the midfield. If you look at our injury list it is longer than the Suns so our depth is hurting. We lost a fair amount of depth with 5 go home cry babies and are only just starting to get that depth,
I am not decrying Hanley but imo the player we have missed is Merrett as we are forced to play Clarke on the best forward and at this stage of his career he is not strong enough as we seen again tonight with Dixon.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on May 02, 2015, 07:53:16 PM
lgree Power to some extent.  Our skills are shocking but like most club supporters will not desert the club.  The big issue is imo is players have lost confidence in one another and are afraid to take the game on like we were doing towards the end of last year. In saying that I am seeing some improvement in some areas Redden is starting to return to his best with 7 tackles today and Mitch Robinson has played his best game since joining the Lions.  Bear in mind Beams, Christensen and Robinson had to gel with the midfield. If you look at our injury list it is longer than the Suns so our depth is hurting. We lost a fair amount of depth with 5 go home cry babies and are only just starting to get that depth,
I am not decrying Hanley but imo the player we have missed is Merrett as we are forced to play Clarke on the best forward and at this stage of his career he is not strong enough as we seen again tonight with Dixon.
Yeah Redden did quite well this game, I acknowledge the loss of depth was a huge factor for the club and I see Leppa is drafting locally now to combat it (I'm just not sure the academy picks are at the same standard as the player in the 1st & 2nd rounds of the national draft). That's a very good point with Merrett, I forgot he was injured (more of a reason why Leppa shouldn't be dropping their higher tier players "to make a point").

However, I would never say Close, Freeman, Hanley, Mayes, & Merrett are comparable to Ablett, JoM, Swallow, Malceski, Thompson, & Day. The other players on the Lions injury list should not be starting even if they were fit. Personally, I think Dixon is overrated, but general consensus states otherwise and I would still agree that Justin Clarke is definitely not ready to play on him. If Merrett had been matching him, I would have Dixon at 1-2 goals maximum (and they would be when Merrett was occupied elsewhere). The problem is, when I compare the Lions to other young teams, I see them in a group with the Saints and Carlton. I just don't see what Leppa is trying to do this season, and it's obviously not working as of now - they were much better during the season half of last year. I also worry that the Lions overrate Christensen & Robinson.. Christensen is an auxiliary player at best and not a core player on any part of the ground and Robinson wasn't desired by any, literally any other club. They aren't players the Lions can rely on for consistency or involvement in the team's core group.