Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Couple of interesting articles here concerning AFL treatment of NSW and Qld. Eddie Maguire now wants unrestricted access to our acadamies for crying out loud.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/leigh-matthews-says-afl-does-not-fathom-it-has-four-expansion-clubs-in-queensland-and-nsw-20140622-zshy8.html

http://thelionsroar.net/

have also made comments in this thread but expecting some backlash.,

http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,97082.0.html

Ricochet

Suggestions Brown will retire. Press conference is a bit later today

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-23/brown-to-quit

Ringo

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 16m
Brisbane Lions have placed Daniel Rich on the long-term injury list with Zac O'Brien now upgraded in his place from the rookie list.
Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 18m
Brisbane Lions have re-instated Patrick Wearden to the senior list from the long-term injury list.

Interesting decisions here Wearden was tearing it up in the reserves prior to injury and is another forward mid so could get a game before season end as rookies tire.
O'Brien as a mature aged rookie should be safe for rest of year and appears to have passed both Moloney and Raines.

Can still promote Michael or Archie Smith if required.

strikes91

Browny walking out to the boys after the win  ;D

Ringo

Great game last night but the win papered over some cracks as well. We only scored 2.8 in 3/4 of football. Whatever Leppa said to the boys at 1/4 time needs to be bottled because they were virtually unstoppable in the 2nd quarter after a pathetic 1st quarter,

The food and drink outlets must have been very quiet at half time because I do not think too many of the crowd left their seats for the Brownie retirement lap of honour and presentation.  Was great to see his 2 children join the lap of honour even youngest son tried to walk a fair bit of the way. Crowd of just under 16k was a little disappointing but weather may have effected this.

On the game itself think we did our best to lose the game in the final quarter kicking 5 behinds three of which should have been easily converted. (The usually reliable McGrath missed one). North were aided by some dubious umpiring in the second half.  Regardless of whether you are a Brisbane supporter or not think most would agree Zorko should have had at least 3 free kicks paid to him in the second half.

Close looked as though he belonged last night and may take that CHF role going forward. Took a few contested possessions and kicked a goal. Merret showed he will be a great stay at home forward but needs to work on kicking efficiency. The  mosquito squadron seem to be starting to click and are crumbing around Close and Merrett.

Bewick continues to impress and although was a loose run with role really curbed Boomer Harveys run.
Patful continues to be underestimated by teams.   He was left on a number of occasions as loos man in defence enabling to take marks and get us out of trouble.  Was surprised Clarke lined up on Petrie and this will be a nice learning curve for the youngster as he needs to be aware of following the ball when it goes over the back.

Beams finally showing some form and what a player he will be if he can stay healthy.  Aish came back from his "rest" and put together another strong game and he will be a star of the future.

Martin again showed he can cover the ground and some of his tap work was outstanding.  Looking forward to the Berger/Martin combination in a couple of weeks. Martin may have made it hard for West with his efforts over recent weeks.

The team were lead by the guiding hands of Reddan, Rocky, Adcock and Hanley undoubtedly having his best game of the season.

Need to keep building on this effort and success may be not be as far off as we think.

All in all great to be a part of the night and Brownies farewell and I just finally saw a replay of him joing in the final team song with gusto.

strikes91

Some rumors out rocky called harvey a fag.

sheesh. this world

elephants

A word that goes thrown around waaay too much.

Bloody lift Rocky if this allegation is true.

strikes91

I think I used it a few times last week.

North have brought this out because scott was in trouble for apporaching

GoLions

Obviously Rocky crossed a line, but I think this has been blown way out of proportion. In my experiences, I think society has changed the meaning of the word "faggot" so that in now no longer means "gay", but is just used as an insult like "asshole", "dickhead" etc. Kinda like how the word "gay" has basically been changed from "happy" to "homosexual"

Ziplock

Quote from: GoLions16 on July 01, 2014, 12:25:21 AM
Obviously Rocky crossed a line, but I think this has been blown way out of proportion. In my experiences, I think society has changed the meaning of the word "faggot" so that in now no longer means "gay", but is just used as an insult like "asshole", "dickhead" etc. Kinda like how the word "gay" has basically been changed from "happy" to "homosexual"

that's a poor argument. There's completely different implications for appropriating an adjective into a noun (therefore saying the noun is exemplified by the adjective) and appropriating a noun into an adjective (therefore saying the adjective is exemplified by the noun).

The use of fag or faggot derogratively to mean like 'asshole', 'dickhead' or also to mean like 'you suck' (as it's also commonly used to indicate someone is inferior) basically equates a person's sexual orientation to be the same thing as an 'asshole', 'dickhead' or being inferior. Homophobic language should really be cracked down on the same level as racist, and attitudes against a harder stance is probably a contributing factor as to why there are no openly gay past or present AFL players.

That being said, who flowering knows what rockliff said, it's all just conjecture unless rockliff or boomer come forward and say what it was... the fact that neither of them are though probably means it was something a bit more socially inappropriate than just calling boomer shower or something.

Grazz

Rocky screwed up lets face it, you just can't go there anymore regardless of intent. He knows it, he said sorry afterwards and then rang Boomer yesterday to make sure the apology had got to Boomer on the night which i think is good of him, far better to call Boomer and give it first hand than come from someone else. It doesn't make it any less wrong but the young blokes owning it
which is good to see.
I also don't think an apposing coach should ever approach an opposition player after a game if there has been a dispute/argument
or something unsavory happening before during or after a game there's way to much testosterone in the veins still and could very easily get ugly, Scott believes he has the right but he's clearly wrong it shouldn't happen and he should know better, fine to go up and congratulate a player on a milestone or retirement etc but not after a dispute of some kind. He can support his player by making a phone call or waiting till the heat has gone out of the situation but not straight after the event and to do it while his old team mate was giving a speech was poor form regardless of how he dresses it up or down.
Shame all this has taken a bit of gloss off a moment that should of been all about Browny.

Ringo

Just remember it is all hearsay at the moment because neither Boomer or Rocky have disclosed what was said. Obviously something that Rocky said got under Boomers skin.  They both shook hands at thge end of the much and that should have been the end of it as "what goes on on the field stays on the field." but Scott by his actions inflamed the situation.
We all know Boomer has a fair bit to say on the field and Saturday night was a continuation of something that went on between Boomer and Rocky when they last played so the history is there but in that case it stayed on the field.
Rocky is still only 23 and will learn from the experience in dealing with these vibes on field.
In no way condoning what Rockliff said if it was socially inappropriate then he should wear any fall out but only he and Boomer know what was said.

Ricochet

My god we are far too precious these days. Hope something as little as this doesn't blow up

Ringo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-30/rockliff-incident-not-closed

Looks like it is being blown up Rico as the AFL are to talk to Lions and Roos today.

elephants

Haha the AFL put up an entire article about Dustin Martin's speeding fine when he was going 105 in a 100 zone.

Anything can be made into a story these days ::)