Main Menu

The Tiger Six-Pack!

Started by Toga, March 10, 2013, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Was sent an interesting article the other day outlining the classification of players by Champion Data... While I know it's not the most comprehensive analysis of a team's list possible, and it has some flaws, it lists the Tigers as having six players ranked as 'elite' (in the top 10% of their position in the league).

Those six players were: Deledio, Cotchin, Tuck, Maric, Riewoldt and Houli!

To add to this, only one team ranks above us in terms of having more players ranked as 'elite' - West Coast, while we have the same number as Collingwood and Hawthorn...

Just thought this article was interesting, and shows the depth and quality of the list we have built over the past five years or so, and thought I'd share it with you guys!

ARTICLE: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-sixpack-rates-a-mention-20130306-2flk2.html

Chelskiman

Houli is obviously the interesting one here.  He's such an underrated player for us off the half back line.  His development since coming over to us has been amazing.  He's gone from barely getting a game at the Dons to become an elite player within two seasons.  Brilliant stuff.

Toga

Yeah agreed Chelski..

I'd say a lot of people (maybe not Tigers supporters ;)) would be surprised with Houli and maybe even Tucky... Very underrated players imo, get the job done week in week out no complaints but don't really get recognised for the good jobs they do!

TheAnt

I thought Houli played a bit better in his first season then last season. I think when he's on he can cut through any teams with his ball use but his defensive work needs improving for mine, aswell as decision making under pressure.

Chelskiman

Quote from: TheAnt on March 10, 2013, 07:06:52 PM\his defensive work needs improving for mine, aswell as decision making under pressure.

And that's something he wants to improve on this year, which is pleasing to hear.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-03-11/houli-sets-the-bar-higher

Kellogscrunchynut

Good to see Tuck getting a mention well deserved as good as Boyd in my eyes.

Noz

CrowsFan

Quote from: Toga on March 10, 2013, 01:51:17 PM
Just thought this article was interesting, and shows the depth and quality of the list we have built over the past five years or so, and thought I'd share it with you guys!
Interesting article indeed, but don't know how it shows the depth you have at the club?

Compare Tigers to the other clubs in the top 5 for elite players, West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Sydney. Yes they have the same number of elite players as those clubs (more than Sydney), but that shows quality not depth. To compare depth you need to look at the below average and poor players in the squad. The Tigers have 9 players (6 BA, 3 poor) fitting in to those 2 groups, the Pies and Hawks only have 6, whilst Sydney has 7 (but no poor players), and Eagles 7 (only 1 poor). This shows that the depth at the Tigers isn't as strong as the top clubs. Adelaide only has 5 players who fit in to those final 2 categories.

Once you develop those players then you can say you have strong depth. :)

Chelskiman

We do have more depth in our squad than in previous years.  Yes, the depth now is recycled players, but we can now call upon those players rather than dipping into the poor player pool which we have.  In a couple of years players like Chaplin and Knights have the ability to thrust themselves into the elite section.  Well, maybe not elite, but a level or two under, which is still decent. 

We're still a very long way off making top four, but we have a brilliant base to work with now.  This is the strongest squad we have had in about 15 years.  I rate it better than the 2001 squad where we last made the top four (and finals all together :().  The only team that comes close to this squad since I've been born (1986) is the 1995 squad, in which we finished 3rd and made it to the prelims.