WXV Coaching Position - Pacific Islanders

Started by ossie85, February 21, 2013, 07:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Hello all,

A position has opened up for the coach of the Pacific Islanders in the World XVs (SuperCoach)

Last year this team finished with 7 wins and 10 losses, but during the trade period basically changed its entire team.

The team has a whole bunch of talent, but I won't lie, will likely struggle this coming year. The challenge for the new coach of this team is to make it competitive in the short term, while building to a succesful team in years to come.

Please apply below with your best XV, personal and team strenths and weaknesses, and and the future!

Will Put this to a vote Sunday night, with the coach announced in time to participate in the preseason competition starting in the 2nd round of the NAB cup.

Pacific Island thread:
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44821.0.html

1   Tom Rockliff (FM)
2   Matthew Leuenberger (R)
3   Chris Dawes (F)
4   Sam B Reid (F)
5   Shane Savage (M)
6   Ahmed Saad (F)
7   Jeremy Howe (F)
8   Ben Howlett (M)
9   David Ellard (M)
10   Todd Banfield (F)
11   Sam Blease (FM)
12   Matthew Jaensch (D)
13   Rhys Stanley (F)
14   Daniel Talia (D)
15   Tim Mohr (D)
16   Curtly Hampton (DF)
17   Thomas Bugg (D)
18   Matthew de Boer (FM)
19   Jason Tutt (M)
20   Jordan Lisle (F)
21   Jarrod Witts (R)
22   Matthew Watson (D)
23   Anthony Miles (M)
24   Jamie Elliott (F)
25   Tom Simpkin (D)
26   Claye Beams (M)
27   Luke Delaney (D)
28   Jonathan Simpkin (M)
29   Billy Longer (R)
30   Adam Tomlinson (F)
31   Tom Mitchell (M)
32   Mitchell Grigg (M)
33   Jackson Paine (F)
34   Nathan Blee (D)
35   Sam Gibson (M)
36   Harry Cunningham (M)
37   Luke Brown (D)
N05.38   Jack Viney (M)
N06.39   Jack Martin (M)
N38.40   Dean Terlich (D)
P07.41   Nathan Stark (M)
R00.42   Tom Nicholls (R)
R07.43   Adam Oxley (DF)
R25.44   Jack Frost (D)
R43.45   Zachary Williams (M)

kilbluff1985

Good morning all, i would like to apply for the coaching position

A bit about me - This will be my 3rd year playing fantasy football not sure why i didn't start earlier maybe because i was driving cabs working 60-70 hours a week and just didn't have time but since i discovered it i have been somewhat addicted to it i guess we all are to be involved in the XV Comps. I live with my sister and my 4 year old nephew my nephew means the world to me treat him like he was my own kid i babysit him 3 nights a week while my sister goes to work

I must admit it took me a while to stumble across the XV Comps after joining FF not sure why but as soon as i learned what it was i wanted to be involved i made a thread asking how to join and Holz offered to hand me over his team n BXV the Birmingham Bombers i am also an assistant to HP in WXV and EXV and i think i am an assistant to JBs in AXV but not heard from him since the draft lol. Since joining the BXV i have been very active have contributed to the Forum and helped out Ringo whenever i could i don't think anyone would say i'm not enthusiastic i head hunted some assistants in upthemaidens, nostradamous, stew42, T Dog and FOOTBALLFACTORY some of them were also not aware of the XV Comps so i explained it to them and afterwards they were more then happy to join and now they help me out with trade advise

The Team - Ok i actually love this team as it's being groomed for the future and i don't mind waiting 2-3 years for success Miles i really rate had super impressive stats as a junior i think if he can play 15 games+ this season he will really improve, could list heaps of guys i highly rate like Savage, Howe, Rockliff, Howlett, Hampton, De Boar, Miles and more this team has huge potential imo

it's biggest issue is probably defense i would try to offer some youth to try and get a good young premium defender

best 15 i think would be

Def - Hampton, Mohr, Talia, Bugg

Mids, Howlett, Gibson, Rockliff, Savage?

Utilities, Miles/Blease, Longer?

Rucks, Luenberger

Forwards, Dawes, De Boar, Reid, Howe

geez that was really tough lol btw Ossie Hampton is B/F not B/M would really want to hope couple of the young blokes like Viney, Terlich, Elliot, Mitchell, show something this season to help out or the team will be in struggle town but atleast will get good draft picks which because we have enough youth i'd put them on the trade table

i always spend a lot of time reading up on rookies each year so i feel like drafting is a strong suit of mine HP sought after my advise and JBs pretty much let me pick whoever i wanted for him

um not really sure what else to say this has taken me an hour lol

oh yeah i get email notifications on my phone so unless i'm sleeping i am very easily contacted via PM and respond promptly

i might post a couple of references soon also but have not asked them if i can yet

Reference 1 - Ringo

Reference 2 - Hellopplz

ossie85

cheers KB, will fix that up.

That's a great application!

Jay

Unfortunate I am applying under these circumstances as c4 was a great coach and person to have around the WXV boards. If I get the job I will definitely ask c4 to be a part of it when he regains the time.

I am the head coach of an AXV team so if you pick someone else that does not have a team, that's fine.

This is my 4th year of SC so I know a fair bit about the scoring system and how much value players have. I am very prompt in replying to PMs and wont have any major chunk of time away from FF. I am an active trader and always look to improve my team's list. I value the advice I get from my assistants and look to take it on board but, I make my own decisions at the same time. I have done some work for Ringo in the BXV, so would be more than happy to help out wherever possible in the WXV board.

I like the look of the Islanders list and feel we can challenge for a flag in the future. We have a quality young list even if you look past the stars like Tom Rockliff, there is plenty of great young talent there.

Backs: Jaencsh, Bugg, Watson, Brown/Terlich

Mids: Rockliff, Gibson, Savage, Howlett

Ruck: Leuenberger

Fwds: De Boar, Dawes, Reid, Howe

Int: Ellard, Viney

It's a pity that the trading period is over as there are a few little things I would like to fix up such giving up some mid depth for a reliable high-scoring back. But overall it is a great young list which I think can be competitive this season and start working our way up the ladder if guys like Blease and Claye Beams breakout.

I have a connection to the Islanders as they are a brother club to my AXV team, so I would really like this job and want to continue the good work of c4, although it would be hard to live up to, I like a challenge :)

Justin Bieber

Hould so apply. Join the ranks of JB-Hawks and Nails with teams 4.

But I'll sit this one out :)

Good luck all fellow applicants.

Jukes

I'd like to apply for this job. Being good mates with c4, he's told me a lot about his team and I'd like to have him back with me if and when he can.

For those who don't know, I'm a year 12 student (looking at a 90 atar if that helps) from Perth with 2 years of fantasy experience under my belt. My world-famous dream team Goodfellas has finished 7,000 and 2,677 in my first two seasons, and am looking at top 500 after doing a lot of work around the RMDT and P&T boards this pre-season. I've followed footy my whole life after going to my first Claremont Tigers (WAFL) match at only a few weeks old and seeing them win the flag that year at only 2 months old...and we sat behind Graham Moss (Essendon and Claremont legend) at that grand final. Have been a major bombers supporter since 2004 and have been following them since around 2002. In terms of SC I've only started this season but have put together a great side (due to DT being very similar to SC) which I reckon should go at a top 2000 ranking. I've been an assistant coach at four XVs teams for varying lengths of time- with Boomz at WXV and Torp at EXV for a while, and Hawka in BXV and Koopa at AXV for short periods of time, before taking on the role of co-head coach of the Swindon Swaggers with ossie last week in the British XVs, and you can note that I have a 100% outstanding effort for Swindon in the two things I've done so far. I've been on FF over 2 years and am extremely active in all the DT boards, Front Bar, Coaches Board, Soccer board and, as of recently, the XVs boards.

The reason I've chosen to apply for World XVs and not Asia XVs even though Colli offered me the gig is that I know a lot of coaches- besides c4, I've been mates with TORP, Nails, ML, Chumps, Holz, Ringo, Fisher, Afev, Pyro, HP, CF, Boomzie and ossie for a while, due to mostly the chat, plus other fantasy comps such as the APL and other boards such as the FB, coaches, DT boards, etc. You can use all of these people for references if you need any, in addition to many people I've aided in the RMDT and P&T boards.

My plan for the team is simple- win and develop. We will be aiming at winning as many games as possible on a short-term basis, i.e. in 2013, and go for as high a win/loss ratio as we can, due to our highly talented young side, which still has plenty of room to develop, with the goal of having a couple of serious premiership tilts in the next few seasons and hopefully take home a premiership to the Pacific Islands. To quote c4, we will have an iron-like vision to survive and eventually succeed, despite the odds.

My best XV at this stage;
Backs: Jaencsh, Talia, Bugg, Mohr
Mids: Rockliff (c), Gibson, Howlett, Savage
Ruck: Leuenberger (vc)
Forwards: de Boer, Dawes, Howe, Reid
Utilities: Blease, Beams
Knocking on the door: Viney, Terlich, Watson, Ellard, Banfield, Saad, Tutt, Miles, Longer, Brown, Stanley.

As you can see by the amount of midfielders knocking on the door, we have outstanding midfield depth, especially with very young talent such as Viney and Miles and soon to break-out Blease and Beams, who will look to lead their side to success in the future. In the next trade period we will be willing to offer up a couple of these young midfielders for a backman due to our lack of backmen in both depth and premium-status. I like our backline, I just feel we need one more gun to accompany it.

My favourite position of ours is the midfield. As explained earlier, we have supreme midfield depth to fill our four spots (plus two utilities), in addition to our guns such as Brisbane superstar and Pacific Islanders captain Tom Rockliff, NM young gun Sam Gibson, and bombers and hawks undervalued guns in Ben Howlett and Shane Savage, then, as aforementioned, soon to break out Blease and Beams and young superstars Viney and Miles, among others.

The forward and ruck lines are adequate at this stage. Our forward line is very decent, assuming Dawes finds form at his new club, and Leuey is a very good young ruck man, followed by new up-and-comers Longer and Witts, who should both aim to be in the top 2 rucks at their club in the near future.

If successful I'll be appointing Jayman and tabs as my senior assistant coaches.
Both have confirmed this via pms.

XVs References

Torpedo10
Spanish Stallions
Assistant Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5993

Hawka
Swindon Swaggers
Assistant Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2449

Boomz
Assistant Coach
Tokyo Samurais
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2971

KoopKicka
Kathmandu Eskimos
Assistant Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=7640

ossie85
Swindon Swaggers
co-Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=8054

Justin Bieber

The best application yet. And probably picked the strongest possible side that the team can field.

Im not part of Worlds much, but great work Jukes :)

SydneyRox

Hello All,

I would also like to apply as head coach of the WXV's Pacific Islanders.

A fan and member since Nov 2012, the Islanders have been the WXV team I have grown up supporting and to have a chance to take the reins and add my own slice of history to this proud club would be a dream for me.
Previous coaches have set the bar high in regards to how they dealt with the other coaches, players and members and I would endeavor to take that role on with gusto.

Here is how I see the starting line up.

Defense              Jaensch Watson  Mohr Bugg
Mids                    Rocky (C) Howlett Ellard Gibson
Ruck                   Leuenberger
Fwd                    De Boer (VC) Dawes Howe Lisle
Utility                  Miles Beams   

We have some very strong young kids to develop over the next few years. But in the short term some trades would be used to strengthen the defensive line and get some top line midfield help for Rockliff.

I have relevant history currently an assistant coach with the Mongolian Lambs in the AXV's league, but I am looking to try and get my own team. A member of FF for 3 years and confessed SC nut, which means WXV's is the game they play in my heaven!
I am ready to take over this team today, currently spend plenty of time online to make sure the Islanders dont fall behind again and to get the Islanders brand out there across the world. We are a force to be reckoned with and I commit to a premiership within 3 years!

Thanks

SR

Toga

I would also like to apply for the role of Head Coach of The Pacific Islanders in the WXV competition.

Having finished school last year, I have decided to take a gap year in 2013, meaning that I will have plenty of time to dedicate towards organising this team, and contributing to the forum and the wider XVs community. Having started fantasy football in 2010, I have now had two solid seasons of experience, culminating in me becoming the co-coach of a team in the AXV competition, the Mongolian Lambs. I have loved the opportunity I have been given in the XVs competition, and have worked hard on making our team thread look neat and impressive, along with a couple of trades that have put us in position to be a legitimate premiership threat this year, as I'm sure picker_man will be able to tell you! Ive also become involved in the WXV comp through Nigey at the Cairo Sands, which has been a good opportunity to show my worth in the trades department, despite the limited time i had at the Sands. Along with working hard on my team in the AXV comp, I have also offered to design guernseys for some of the teams (see my work here, here, here, here and here!) - I think this demonstrates the time and effort I am willing to put into the competition, let alone my own team. I have also done plenty of research around the forums which I have shared with other coaches, including plenty of player profiles, a phantom draft with my fantasy predictions, and lots of work in the Richmond Player Profiles, and I think this would come in handy when drafting and trading over the off-season when weighing up choices.

I would love to get the nod for this job because I have loved my time being involved in the AXV comp and would like another team to get me involved in another comp, as I love the responsibility that comes with the teams, and think these competitions are a great way to not only get more involved in fantasy competitions, but also to meet new people on the forums. Being the original XVs concept, I am super interested in getting the gig here, and I have been a massive fan of the Islanders since the membership drive of 2012!

If I were to be elected coach of the Islanders, I would look to pull off some trades that would improve this already young and improving team, particularly the midfield and defence. In 2013, I would look to put our best team forward and bring home as many wins as possible for the Islanders faithful, and think that with a list including young guns Bugg, Rockliff, Gibson, Howlett, Leuenberger, Dawes, Howe, Blease and a few talented draftees, a premiership stint could well take place in the not-too-distant future.

At the moment, my best XV would be:
D: Bugg, Brown, Jaensch, Talia
M: Rockliff (C), Gibson, Howlett, Ellard
R: Leuenberger (Longer)
F: de Boer, Dawes, Howe, Reid
U: Blease, Savage

Upside: A very young team, but one that will surely improve in the coming years. Brown, Jaensch, Blease and Savage are, at the moment, a bit inconsistent in nature, and are still trying to cement themselves in their respective best 22's, but I think if not this year, then next year, most of them will be firmly set in their best 22 and getting regular games. Kids like Viney, Jack Martin and Dean Terlich will all also push for selection.

Downside: The downside to this team is its short-term prospects. I am confident that I will be able to field 15 players a week, but at stages, this might have to include playing a rookie in the field. So this year, we might come up short a few times if we are unlucky with injuries etc, but I will work hard to make sure this isn't the case in 2014 by trading and drafting to suit this team's needs and long-term prospects.

All the best to other applicants, I hope whoever gets it takes this team to success in the coming years!

References:
picker_man
NigeyS

kilbluff1985

going to be a bit of a popularity contest i think

#hasnochance

Ricochet

Might as well re-submit my resume  :P

I would like to formally apply for the available position of Head Coach for the Pacific Islanders. Getting involved in the Worlds Comp was a goal of mine as it was the original comp and most prestigious.

Curriculum Vitae
Name: Ricochet
Twitter Account: @Ricochetthis
Address: Western Australia

Personal Attributes
- Extremely active Fan Footy member.
- Highly motivated to succeed.
- Ability to prioritise, organise and complete work within set time periods (... on FF, meaning no real life work gets done :P )
- Committed to professional ethics and standards

Education
- 2007 to 2011: WAFFC (Western Australia Fantasy Football College)
Graduated with an average score of 114ppg... do know how to find the footy

Employment History
At the beginning on the 2012 season I joined the Belgium Bashers as an Assistant to Elephants and FARK. The team had an average year spending most of 2012 near the bottom of the ladder, but somehow scraped into the finals only to be knocked out. We identified our weaknesses and traded very aggressively. Turning an average side into one of the Premiership favourites.

When the British League was created, I was recruited by Spite and Elephants as an Assistant at the Hebden Bridge Hedgehogs. We believe we have successfully drafted a very young top 4 side, that has a lot of promise for the future. We have also traded well and secured a number of quality players without losing too much quality.

Recently I have joined Nigey and Major Lazer at the Cairo Sands in the Worlds XVs. Being involved in the Worlds Competition was a goal of mine, being the original XV comp. I have only been at the Sands for a short period, but in this time I have brought in one trade which significantly boosted our midfield with only losing backline and fwd depth.

References
Elephants
Belgium Bashers
Head Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1575

Spite
Hebden Hedgehogs
Co-Head Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2885

Major Lazer
Cairo Sands
Co-Head Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3388

Nigey
Cairo Sands
Co-Head Coach
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=7935

Team Assessment
As this team is a 2-3 years off being a serious contender I will look at the list if it was 2015ish.
We would assume that Rocky would lose dpp status. De Boer is another who is likely to lose dpp by then but he isn't as obvious as what Rocky is.

DEF Bugg, Jaensch, T.Simpkin,, D.Talia
MID Rockliff, Gibson, Savage, Howlett, Ellard, Beams
RUC Leuy
FWD De Boer, Dawes, S.B.Reid, Howe

DEF Mohr, Hampton,, Watson, L.Delaney, Blee, L.Brown, Terlich, Oxley, Frost
MID Cunningham, Tutt, Miles,, J.Simpkin, Viney, J.Martin, Stark, Mitchell, Grigg, Z.Williams
RUC Witts, Longer, Nicholls
FWD Saad, Banfield, Blease, Stanley, Lisle, Elliot,  Tomlinson, Paine

Such a young team with the oldest players being Mohr, Howlett Leuenberger, Dawes. All are only 25 so in two years time the starting team will range from 21-27. With so many young guns we will look to develop internally and rebuild. Obviously trading will still be required to strengthen this team.

Balance:
To be honest, it isn't that bad. The ruck line is strong with plenty of talent backing up Leuey. The starting 4 forwards have so much potential. As does the bench, with Elliot and Stanley being two of my favourites. The midfield is young and has plenty of talent coming through. The backline is probably the weakest line of the team but tbh it isn't that bad. Bugg, Jaensch, Hampton, Simpkin and Talia all have so much potential.

Scoring:
Rocky is the standout here. While likely to lose dpp in the near future he has the scoring capabilities of a premium midfielder. By averaging mid 80s (unsubbed) so early in their careers Gibson, Savage, Howlett and Ellard have shown enough to suggest they will be dependable scorers in the future.

Future Trading:
I will try to develop internally but obviously some trading is required to rebuild. The backline will be targeted in future trading and future drafts. Although I do think there is enough talent there to build on.

Ringo

Some very quality applications here and well done to all applicants. Going to be a difficult task for we coaches to choose, from them.

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on February 21, 2013, 04:04:12 PM

I would like to formally apply for the available position of Head Coach for the Pacific Islanders. Getting involved in the Worlds Comp was a goal of mine as it was the original comp and most prestigious.

cant speak highly enough of Ric, has become a big part of the euro league and is very active with the bashers. As an assistant along with FARK they both put in more effort than some of the coaches. The quality of the coaching staff at the bashers will be evident this year when they are right up the top of the ladder. While they might not have the quality coaching staff of the eagles ;) they come close.

Ricochet

Quote from: Holzman on February 21, 2013, 04:33:45 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on February 21, 2013, 04:04:12 PM

cant speak highly enough of Ric, has become a big part of the euro league and is very active with the bashers. As an assistant along with FARK they both put in more effort than some of the coaches. The quality of the coaching staff at the bashers will be evident this year when they are right up the top of the ladder. While they might not have the quality coaching staff of the eagles ;) they come close.
Haha thanks mate

Justin Bieber

The contendars are getting better! Was going to say give Toga the pen, but Ric might of taken the honours :o

Going to be a tough vote