Main Menu

Night Test Cricket?

Started by PowerBug, February 17, 2013, 12:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

I'm listening to the ABC atm, and after the Qld vs Vic ODD match there were a bunch of people on the MCG testing out different coloured cricket balls. (Apparently it was just like the Howzat mini-series, with the ball colour being called out and people watching from everywhere) White, Orange, Pink, Yellow all out there, and the word is the Orange ball has won the night from those on the ground, but the commentators couldn't see it too well :-\ Also, the Duke and SG balls are being used, not just the Kook.

Would you guys like night test cricket or FC cricket? I've been a traditionalist for alot of things when it comes to cricket (most notably the Adelaide Oval re-development) but i am a fan of this. Another reason for this possibly being implemented is that those final sessions at the WACA get good ratings in the eastern states, which I enjoy watching aswell.

Thoughts? How would you implent it? How often?

BB67th

I don't like the idea of night test cricket. For me, the conditions from night to day are just too different and the nature of test cricket just doesn't suit the night time. I mean watching a few batsman score 10 runs from 8-9pm under lights just doesn't seem right.

Keep the limited overs to day-night matches, they work really well. But keep Test Cricket during the day, where it belongs.

Nige

Not too fussed really. Kinda indifferent towards it. I'd watch it, but don't know whether a majority would be for it.

PowerBug

A list of ways this can be introduced: (My list, so mention more combos)

a) Matches have afternoon session, evening session and night session. 90 overs per day for 5 days.

b) Matches have a morning, afternoon, evening, and night session. Running for 5 days, 90 overs required in the day. (Slower overs rates allowed)

c) Matches have a morning, afternoon, evening and night session. Running for 4 days, 120 overs per day, 30 per session. (This adds up to 480, so the 4th day finishes after the evening session perhaps, or 30 extra overs are added to the game)

KoopKicka

The adelaide oval redevelopment is the worst thing ever.

BB67th

Interesting options there SS. Realistically if it were introduced I think option A would be used as they wouldn't go changing the amount of overs in a game or over rates just for night tests while day tests are still available to be played.

tbagrocks

WTF >:(  Night tests >:( flower anyone who even thinks it might be a good idea >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Already bad enough the adbominal t20 is played at 7pm, should be more 4-5pm

upthemaidens

Well lets see if they can make a 'coloured ' ball last 80 overs first. 

Capper

This will be an interesting topic. I am a fan of the idea but not sure whether it will get up. The problems i see are if they start the game at night or twilight then it wont finished till after midnight. How many people will be still watching? Also if they start the game in the afternoon then players will be warm and ready to play but as it gets later on in the evening then players will cool done quickly and thats when more injuries will happen. I love cricket and watching it but i dont see the players agreeing to it

PowerBug

Quote from: tabs on February 17, 2013, 02:12:31 AM
This will be an interesting topic. I am a fan of the idea but not sure whether it will get up. The problems i see are if they start the game at night or twilight then it wont finished till after midnight. How many people will be still watching? Also if they start the game in the afternoon then players will be warm and ready to play but as it gets later on in the evening then players will cool done quickly and thats when more injuries will happen. I love cricket and watching it but i dont see the players agreeing to it
I think this'll be the biggest hurdle aswell, the players.

Hawka

I wouldnt mind a night test every season or two, providing its in Hobart, Adelaide or Brisbane (Perth would be to late), but they must keep Boxing day and new years how it is!

ossie85

If it keeps test cricket alive, why not. Let's face it, we live in a world that is dominated by TV ratings. Night is ratings time.

Nails

QuoteAnother reason for this possibly being implemented is that those final sessions at the WACA get good ratings in the eastern states, which I enjoy watching aswell.

Don't get how this applies...

Say the match is ending at 9pm WA time, then it's ending at midnight in Vic. Not too many people will be up at midnight to watch due to work commitments etc.

Quote from: ossie85 on February 20, 2013, 02:35:53 PM

If it keeps test cricket alive, why not. Let's face it, we live in a world that is dominated by TV ratings. Night is ratings time.

I don't think test cricket is really likely to die? If anything test cricket seems to be seeing a resurgence if you ask me. With the tight battles Australia had with South Africa and whatnot. Interest seems renewed.

ossie85

Quote from: Nails on February 20, 2013, 05:07:13 PM
QuoteAnother reason for this possibly being implemented is that those final sessions at the WACA get good ratings in the eastern states, which I enjoy watching aswell.

Don't get how this applies...

Say the match is ending at 9pm WA time, then it's ending at midnight in Vic. Not too many people will be up at midnight to watch due to work commitments etc.

He is saying that test matches in WA currently finish last (around 9pm) in Eastern states, and they get high ratings. Therefore night tests in eastern states will get high ratings.

PowerBug