Any love for Andre Greipel?

Started by tbagrocks, January 22, 2013, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

We all know the human missile Mark Cavendish is the fastest and greatest spriner in cycling

but withought the super star Greipel would be among the greats, just saw him bold and easily win day one in SA TDU and now has 12 wins here

Surely one of the great sprinters out shadowed by Mark? How often does Andre go second to Mark at the TDF?

Sapientia

Honestly, he's not that good relative to other sprinters. Take out Cavendish and a whole new sprint dynamic emerges. I genuinely reckon I can name 5-6 better sprinters than him. Not all of them come to the TDU though.

He's entertaining, and has good support. In terms of raw sprinting ability - there are better. His lead out train is immense, for one.

BratPack

Personally to me he's like every other cyclist. A drug cheat that hasn't been caught yet

tbagrocks

Where were the better sprinters today  ???

100 wins for the Gorilla

JBs-Hawks

Probably in Argentina with the other big names  ::)

tbagrocks

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on January 27, 2013, 06:03:15 PM
I guess the next four riders were just crap then ::)

Sapientia

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 27, 2013, 06:07:29 PM

Renshaw isn't an elite sprinter and Boassen Hagen while having awesome sprinted for a 'non sprinter' - isn't near the level.

Throw in a fit Cav, Kittel et al and Greipel's stuffed.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Sapientia on January 28, 2013, 12:31:50 AM

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 27, 2013, 06:07:29 PM

Renshaw isn't an elite sprinter and Boassen Hagen while having awesome sprinted for a 'non sprinter' - isn't near the level.

Throw in a fit Cav, Kittel et al and Greipel's stuffed.
Who the frog is Kittel? (sure I know of him) Yeah no you're right he has a better record than Greipel he is clearly a better sprinter ::)

Anyone who doesn't rank Greipel as the second best in the world is a chump, simple as that, record says it all ;D

Oh and btw mr know it all, the sbs commentaitors said he was the second best so make of that what you will ::)

Sapientia

I believe a lot of Griepel's success is built around his lead out. It's seriously something else. Give him the lead out that Cav has and he'd be well back in the pack.

Others are entitled to their opinion, I'm entitled to disagree. Passing off your opinion as fact and demeaning those who disagree is a really fantastic way to prove your point.

Yet again, in saying Kittel there's probably a genuine argument that Degenklob should be the #1 at AS after his Vuelta. Still think Kittel's got the best sprinting ability and raw pace though, better than Greipel and the rest bar Cav. Also the criticism I did aim at Greipel applies to Kittel too, a leadout of Veelers and Degenklob is pretty awesome.

tbagrocks

Being the best does not mean being the fastest, you need ability, ability to be in the right position when it counts, if Greipel was good enough to have the best team helping him to be in the best position then that's a tribute to his ability

It takes skill to be in a winning position, Greipel has that skill as does Cav, the others are left wanting

That's it man, you need the ability an courage to get into the winning position, can't argue against results, the Gorilla simply blitzed his rivals this week

Sapientia

I'm sorry, but his team's staff who assembled the train deserve credit for that.

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 28, 2013, 02:30:59 AMif Greipel was good enough to have the best team helping him to be in the best position then that's a tribute to his ability

This actually makes no sense. How is having a good team a tribute to his ability? He didn't assemble them, he didn't recruit them, he didn't train them. That's down to the team's staff.