Main Menu

DEF structure

Started by Andrew, January 06, 2013, 06:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

I'm really torn this year with my backline structure. I like a lot of the premium picks, but it does seem that there will be good job security in the rookies. At the moment I've got 4 premos with 4 rookies, but taking a punt on someone like Danny Stanley is really tempting. I could spend the extra money on the forward line (Travis Cloke maybe), but the DEF premium picks look juicy this year... Your thoughts?

kilbluff1985

i'm probably going 3 premos i just really like the look of my team when i do it this way

Andrew

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 06, 2013, 07:02:11 PM
i'm probably going 3 premos i just really like the look of my team when i do it this way

At the moment, my backline is:

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Dyson Heppell, Jared Brennan, Jasper Pittard, Brent Staker
Sam Docherty, Dean Terlich

But I'm considering picking Staker as a forward line rookie and picking Stevenson if he's named round 1. That guy is a good thing to average at least 60 if he gets games.

JBs-Hawks

Scrads

Quote from: Andrew on January 06, 2013, 07:56:04 PM

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Dyson Heppell, Jared Brennan, Jasper Pittard, Brent Staker

But I'm considering picking Staker as a forward line rookie and picking Stevenson if he's named round 1. That guy is a good thing to average at least 60 if he gets games.

I know this isn't the RMDT board but what is your interest in Jared Brennan mate ? Reckon there may be better options available for that spot in your backline...

owenbond007

Quote from: Scrads on January 07, 2013, 12:37:07 AM
Quote from: Andrew on January 06, 2013, 07:56:04 PM

I know this isn't the RMDT board but what is your interest in Jared Brennan mate ? Reckon there may be better options available for that spot in your backline...

Agree with scrads here. plus locking 4 round 13 bye players cant be wise when the best mids are 13s also.

Andrew

Points taken. Check out Gold Coast's draw early and Brennan's pre-season training form. But for me, he's replaced by Stanley anyway, if I go with 4 premo defenders.

stew42

People seem to think that there is an abundance of def rookies this year. I don't think that is the case. Most of them are from PA, so you wouldn't expect them to play all at once. I personally have three rookies in my defence, and that includes Pittard, who is in the best 22.

Andrew

Quote from: stew42 on January 07, 2013, 02:23:26 PM
People seem to think that there is an abundance of def rookies this year. I don't think that is the case. Most of them are from PA, so you wouldn't expect them to play all at once. I personally have three rookies in my defence, and that includes Pittard, who is in the best 22.

They were a false dawn last season. Remember the horror of Morris & Ellis round 1 performances? But then again DEF premos usually take a while to fire and can be picked up at tasty discounts. I wish there were more mid-priced DEF options floating around.