World Darts Championship 2018

Started by Grazz, January 02, 2018, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazz

So much to say about this years Championship. It has thrown up some amazing moments throughout.
How Rob Cross escaped MVG in the semi when MVG had 6 darts to put him out and couldn't do it, Cross makes the final
against the legend that is Phil Taylor.

The final is a fairy tale in two ways, Phil retiring after this tournament going for his 17th world championship and Rob Cross playing in his first after only qualifying for the tour around this time last year. Only one was going to get the fairy tale ending though.

I was hoping Phil Taylor could take it out and win his 17th and retire, felt he deserved to go out this way. The chances of someone coming through and doing what Phil has done over 30 years in the sport are very slim indeed. After watching both semi's I came away thinking Cross was the one to beat, he was or appeared to be the more inform player but hey he's playing Phil Taylor for the world championship in his 1st attempt Phils been there like 20 times. Can Cross hold his nerve against the greatest player to ever pick up a dart in a world championship final.

Well Cross certainly did hold his nerve, he was relentless and hardly gave Phil an opportunity to take the final out winning 7 - 2.
The fairy tale ending to the 2018 Championship was his and his alone and he did it in style.

Where does Rob Cross go from here, who knows but one thing is for sure Michael Van Gerwen has some real competition now and that's great for the sport of darts as MVG has been winning everything. The 2018 Premier League just got a whole lot more interesting.

Congratulations Rob Cross, an amazing story an amazing year. Fairy tales can and do come true sometimes.

Football Factory

Spewin Power lost .. Cross looks the goods, see what happens down the track. I see they go to the same barber Cross and MVG.

Grazz

Quote from: Football Factory on January 02, 2018, 04:06:53 PM
Spewin Power lost .. Cross looks the goods, see what happens down the track. I see they go to the same barber Cross and MVG.

Cross seems hungry for more titles, hoping he kicks on and builds a decent rivalry with MVG mate.
Would of liked to of seen Phil get his 17th world title also but it wasn't to be and he himself felt he was
fortunate to get a crack at it with alot of the top players dropping out through the rounds giving
him an easier run through the qtr's and semi's. He actually picked Cross early as the one to beat
and he was right. MVG would be filthy, he had Cross on toast and should of won that semi tbh
but luck was with Cross and he grabbed his chance when MVG flowered up trying to close it out.

R.Griffen

Absolutely brilliant the entire time

Couldn’t have said it any better myself about MVG, first time I’ve seen him crack that badly and fail to finish a game. Not that he really cracked but missing that many match darts was amazing. Probably the best game of darts I’ve seen in some time and maybe ever. Cross turned it on in the final you simpaly can’t lose playing like that. Really wish the nine darter at the start of the 5th set went though

Other than the obvious being Lewis, another one I was disappointed in was Klaasen but I think an excuse can be made he obviously 100% in some way

Premier League gonna be very interesting. Wade, Lewis. Klaasen, Chisnall and Kimmy Huybrechts all left out along with Taylor obviously retiring

Those that had to make it
MVG
Wright
Cross
Anderson (if fit)

Suljovic
Gurney
They were the next best

Whitlock and Smith have found some form after a down couple of years

Price as one of the other young guns coming up

Then Barney being a draw card aswell as still being up there overall

Grazz

Yeh it's a shame he couldn't of nailed the double 12 to of got the nine dart finish. Who knows what affect it may of had on the match.
Would of been great to see in his last game and the crowd would of gone nuts.

Some big names dropping out of the Premier League for this year hey.
Agree good to see Whitlock finding some form again and i'm hoping Anderson can get his back sorted.
He's ok if the matches don't go to long but if they do he's battling to get through them he was saying
which is a shame so yeh hope he gets it sorted without having to have any surgery and be missing for awhile.

Jamie Lewis goes ok also and had many a chance to take Phil out in their semi but just couldn't find the darts to close the sets.
I think the occasion got to him a bit but he'll be better and tougher for the experience.

R.Griffen

Price, Gurney, Cross, MVG, Smith (Cadby, Hopp) the young talent that are gonna have some epics if all goes to plan in the next 20 years