Main Menu

Tear my team apart

Started by Ziplock, September 19, 2012, 03:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

So, after an analysis of Pickers team, and of mine, with holz's suggestion I might as well start this thread- Basically if you want your team to get analysed by someone put it here :P

Waiting list:
Elephants
HP
Torps
LH 
Scrads

I'll post the ones that have already been done :P

Ziplock

Ziplock on Pickers
mate, you're not a top 4 side. Top 8 if you're lucky this year, but after that your team is flowered... you have 3 good mids, and a passable ruckline, and that's it

Backs:  Dempster (29), Bock (30), Newman (31), Cornes (34), Johncck(30), Gibson (28), (Talia, Clarke, minimal JS, KPD, Ugle- can't break into giants side). You're going to cop at least 3, probably 4, could theoretically have all 6 of your first backs retire next year.
Mids: Great first 3, Stanton is a hack, but is reasonable as 4th.... then almost no cover, Foley, Wells, Moloney all over 28 next year, wells and foley with injury issues.
Rucks: Giles is good, but probs won't ever be a true premium, Jamar is average but ok cover, Hille wil lretire soon, Bailey can barely string 2 games together (literally), in one of the weakest ruck lines in the comp.
Forwards- Harvey (35), Brown (32), Ballantyne(isnt the type of player who'll go premium, but would be solid 4th/ 5th), Whitecross (Good).  Westhoff (PA keyforward- never going to go well), Petrie (31), Pfeiffer (can't even get a consistent spot at PA),  Mcgrath (30), Koschitzke(31), Mcqualter (delisted).

Basically, your team *might* make the 8 in 2013, but after that it's going to be rough- you're looking at about half your team pushing 30 and getting ready to retire, and really no room for improvement. Cotchin, Selwood, Redden are great, Stanton is solid, apart from that in your starting 15, the only guys who I'd really want long term in my team is Giles and Whitecross.

I would like to make list changes, and I'm relatively close to a couple of deals, but honestly I'm pretty happy with where it is atm- I would have been pushing for the 8 last season if I hadn't lost my top 3 picks to half a season of injury, and that was with the yougest side in the competition.

Ziplock

Pickers on Ziplock
plz correct me if im wrong, cause might no be best at this but gave it a crack

Grimes - had a great yr, but injuries will always be a concern as your 1st back
Hanley - Neds to find consistancy and if so well be a solid defender
Trengrove - KPP back in a shower team, yet to get over 62ave in 3 seasons
Armstrong - Has never put in consistant games with any club
Backup defenders - Jacobs is the only quarter decent one - Frost, Toy, Bews, Laird lol

Murphy - Gun
Ziebell - Will breakout one yr....
Trengrove - dropped 13 in ave this yr, will loose way to many points him 3rd mid
Gaff - Gun just needs 2yrs or so to be consistant
Ward - Gun but has Knee issues at a young age isnt a good sign
Bastinac - North have alot of young promising players not all will become elite
Bckup mids - Hayes, Bewick, Stevens, Butcher would hardly call that backup worst in the comp.

Mcevoy - Solid Ruck
Backup Rucks - wouldnt want mcevoy to go down again and have stephensen and dowdell as backups to roughhead

Goodes - Old
J.Riewoldt - unless he kicks a bag not the best at DT
Christensen - Good luck if he stays a fwd
Hawkins - Same as Rielwoldt
Backup Fwds - vespremi, grant, gumbletin, delliolli, falou lol if you have to play one of them

So yeah dont see much potential there except a few good young mids, cause the rest are still young you have hope a few will become premium but the names and signs they've shown in DT scoring isnt good for you, half the backup players in def wasnt even sure who they were haha but good luck with that mate

Ziplock on Ziplock
Grimes- He's 23, in most cases I don't subscribe to the 'injury prone' saying, especially for players that young... drummond/ sylvia, where it's been proven over like a decade+ sure, but he's had 4 seasons, including his debut, and last year was  a freak leg break.
Hanley- he'll find consistency- is still really young, but most importantly was recruited from ireland and didn't grow up playing AFL, this year is his year, and he'll be a machine
Trengrove- yeah, 60 odd average for a 21 year old kpd is actually pretty solid- believe it or not I've had some reasonable trade offers from him. I got him mainly for his JS
Armstrong- Fair enough, I thought he was worth the punt though, and sydney do have a couple of aging HB waiting to retire.
Backs ups: Jacobs is decent, Frost is good for cover- keep in mind everyone was really surprised when he was overlooked for the nat, Toy was a machine as a junior and will be at afl- he just needs to put on a bit of weight, keep in mind he's really young (only made the cut off for last years draft by a couple of days). Bews and Laird suck
Mids: Murph,  Ziebell, Ward, Gaff are/ will soon, be DT premiums. I still rate trengove highly- often players have a down year after a break out (look at rocky, fyfe, redden, dusty). As for basti and norths promising players that wont all become elite... someone probs would have said that once upon a time looking at collingwood with Beams, Sidey, Swan, Pendles, Wellingham, Thomas.
Rucks: Roughy is pretty young and is a solid ruck as cover.
Fwds: Goodes is old, but he's a beast who'll be pumping out the tons until he's 38. Riewoldt- 23 and 2x coleman medalist already... he can pump out the bags. Hawkins is also a machine. Both averaged over 80, which is damn good for 2nd and 3rd forwards under the age of 25. Veszpremi and Grant were taken based on potential, they could still lift, same with gumby, folau taken for JS and he'll be 60+ soon. Dell'olio isn't terrible as like a 10th back lol.

that's the difference between you and me- 'half the players in def wasnt even sure who they were'- I know pretty much every player in the comp, even the ones not DT relevant, and can assess all of them- that's why I picked the players  I did.

Ziplock

Ziplock on Holz

Backs: Well, Gibbs is great if he can stay back (and lids if he ever gets relegated :P ), Adcock is solid if he can stay on the park, Malceski really doesn't have that much left in him, certainly not as a premium, thompsons not exactly a spring chicken and is a KPD. Cover is pretty shocking though. Mohr the only one with reasonable JS in the lot. 
Mids: Pendles, Deledio are both machines, same with Boyd (although he wont have much left as a premium in him), and Barlow. Pretty young, pretty gun- could have a 4 midfield of 110+ mids next year... Your young back ups in Swallow, O'meara show a lot of promise, Cornes will be ok for a couple of years, and I suppose Polec and Morton could be ok.
Rucks: Mumford and Goldstein- pretty gun, Clarke and seaby are soli dcover.
Forwards: all depends on form :P Cloke if he can recapture it, Walker if he can retain it, Knights if he can break into a team. All that happens and Lecras comes good as new and you should be fine. Any of them go down though, and your cover is pretty thin for various reasons (JS, Age, Scoring potential etc.)

Honestly though- Picker, take note, this is what a top 4 contending team looks like- Keeping in mind holz gets mclean at rookie pick no.1, unless he cops injuries I'd rate him for the flag. If he  gets injuries though, his cover is extremely shallow in the f/b and really needs to be addressed in the draft.

Ziplock

I'm going to reserve enough posts so I can copy + paste everyones assesments :P

Ziplock

meow meow on meow meow

Mate, your team is old as flower. In a couple of years you will need to rebuild because your team is ancient. Having a team that is a contender to win the flag, while having some good young players is stupid. Youth is the only thing that matters.

Backs - Enright, Murphy and Lake only have 1-2 years left in them. Drummond is always injured and he's getting old too. Pedo can't get a game. Tambling is awesome but he's the only good backman you'll have in a couple of years. It's not like you have players who will get a run through the middle like Myers, or young, attacking half backs who can take a mark and who kick the ball twice as much as they handball like Hombsch and Batchelor. Jordan Lockyer didn't play in his first year so he's obviously shower.

Mids - Wow, talk about a retirement villiage. Hayes, Cross, Tuck will all retire at the end of next season. Thommo will be 30, and once you reach 30 you are useless. Jobe Watson is 27 so he's almost finished. I don't care if his father played until he was 36, 27 is OLD. Dal Santo is 28 and has never had a major injury, but he'll want to quit soon too. 26 year old Ryan Griffen is an over rated hack and will never reach true premium status. In 2 years when Tuck, Hayes, Thompson, Cross retire you will have to play a midfield of Watson, Dal Santo, Griffen, Mitch Wallis, Adam Treloar, and maybe Dustin Martin. So yeah, you're flowered when the old guys retire. You won't pick up anyone good in the next 3 drafts to replace them.

Rucks - Cox is old like the rest of your team. Minson will be old when Cox retires, and Stefan Martin is always injured.

Forwards - NRoo and Stevie J are just more of your old guys who will ruin your team when they retire. Don't worry about trying to win a flag now, it's all about the future. Your forward line has no future. Higgins is 25 and has played more games than Franklin in the past 3 years, but he is soft and injury prone. Speaking of injury prone, Maccaffer fits that and will never recover. Jeremey Cameron is a key forward in they score either good, or terribly. He's not even good enough to get in your team at the moment so what makes you think he'll get better when he has to take Riewoldts spot when Nick retires? Hack. Dustin Martin wasn't the best scoring forward in his 3rd season so he is over rated. Breust averaged 75 and that's not very good for a reserve forward/depth.

Ziplock

Ziplock on Whatlez In response to his D4 comment

Quote from: whatlez on October 05, 2012, 05:20:09 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on October 05, 2012, 05:03:55 PM
Scotland is now called 'we don't have a defensive line'
Coming from 'Tony Armstrong D4'

lol, at least I have a D4...

seriously, your D4 atm is silvagni- a 50 avging key defence who played 3 games this year.

armstrong only averaged 48, but he played 8 games (even if 4 was subbed), he averaged 74 from his other games, considering how close players like malceski, mattner, shaw are to retiring with their respective injury concerns and age, his JS is only going to increase- to quote sydney 'he was recruited to fit specific needs'

that being said, I have a rookie pick before you and intend to take the best defender available :P

even so, I also have ben jacobs, pittard (who uninjured and without pearce should chop up) and suban to cover... along with developing and skilful young half backs in toy and laird, and frost who can play back and forward as a kpp.

and then your forward line is shocccccking- rioli is good, the other 3 are 70 average players, who honestly with the exception of maybe fasolo, won't become premium. Then your cover.... only puopolo gets consistent games, and he's been playing defensive roles all season as a forward (and keep in mind, he averaged around 50 and is 26 next year, so not much room for improvement), then pettErd (not pettard), who only played 4 games for melbourne... hall is the only one who showed vague scoring potential, but he only managed 8 games for 17th placed GC.

your rucks are good, and your mids, but those two lines... the backs can be kind of addressed in the rookie draft, I have no idea what you're going to do about for F line though.

Ziplock

Ziplock

Ziplock

Ziplock

Ziplock

Ziplock

Ziplock

Ziplock