The Champions League

Started by ossie85, September 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: Noz on September 07, 2012, 11:05:47 PM
Plus i mate also add with the seeding i think it would only be fair to seed 8 teams. The top 4 finalists in the Euro's and Worlds as the Asians and British seasons haven't started yet.

Group 1                                         Group 2
World Team 1                                 Euro Team 1
Euro Team 2                                  World Team 2
World Team 3                                 Euro Team 3
Euro Team 4                                  World Team 4

Then the remaining 56 teams will be put in a random engine done by a outside party not involved in any of the World competitions, Not that i do not trust you Ozzie, Holz, MTTY or CW i just believe involving a third party would be fair in all sorts.

Im fine with someone else doing the draw. The problem with your idea for seeding is that with trading teams have changed alot and some have got much stronger and weaker. Because the comp will be held in the second half of the season we can just use the averages of the teams in the first half so we get the strongest teams with the seeding.

Noz

Quote from: Holzman on September 07, 2012, 11:16:58 PM
Quote from: Noz on September 07, 2012, 11:05:47 PM
Plus i mate also add with the seeding i think it would only be fair to seed 8 teams. The top 4 finalists in the Euro's and Worlds as the Asians and British seasons haven't started yet.

Group 1                                         Group 2
World Team 1                                 Euro Team 1
Euro Team 2                                  World Team 2
World Team 3                                 Euro Team 3
Euro Team 4                                  World Team 4

Then the remaining 56 teams will be put in a random engine done by a outside party not involved in any of the World competitions, Not that i do not trust you Ozzie, Holz, MTTY or CW i just believe involving a third party would be fair in all sorts.

Im fine with someone else doing the draw. The problem with your idea for seeding is that with trading teams have changed alot and some have got much stronger and weaker. Because the comp will be held in the second half of the season we can just use the averages of the teams in the first half so we get the strongest teams with the seeding.

Yeah that seems like a fair idea, Didn't take trading into account. Seeding top 16 teams based on the first half of the season seems a fair plan to all teams.

Colliwobblers

I agree if the comp is to take place in the second half of the season then it should be seeded and the draw setup the week before it starts off the current team rankings.

If it is to be based on the previous seasons rankings then it should take place in the first part of the following season.

Ringo

Agree with Colli. As we will be playing in later half of the year then use the rankings at a specified cut off point.  If specified at the start of the year then we all know where we need to b at Round x to make the champions league.

ossie85

Quote from: Colliwobblers on September 07, 2012, 11:19:14 PM
I agree if the comp is to take place in the second half of the season then it should be seeded and the draw setup the week before it starts off the current team rankings.

If it is to be based on the previous seasons rankings then it should take place in the first part of the following season.

Not sure how it can be done at the start sorry, think making weightings for Brits and Asia would be too difficult...

Jay

Quote from: ossie85 on September 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM

So... how are we going to do it?
Quote from: BB67th on September 07, 2012, 11:03:41 PM
Quote from: Noz on September 07, 2012, 11:00:44 PM
Quote from: Nails on September 07, 2012, 10:58:53 PM
Quote from: Holzman on September 07, 2012, 07:11:36 PM
Quote from: picker_man on September 07, 2012, 07:03:51 PM
thats a great idea on how to do it Holz :)

So i will probably be playing myself with my asian's and euro's teams in the grand final hahah :P

I think Maca (Worlds), Meow (Euro), Bombers (British) would be the early favourites

And Jayman - Asians ;)

I agree mate  :)
Good to see that we all share similar opinions on this topic :)
as am I!

Maca24

All you Asians guys are so annoying  ::)  :P
Always talking up your half completed teams.

c4v3m4n

So i will probably be playing myself with my asian's and euro's teams in the grand final hahah :P

I think Maca (Worlds), Meow (Euro), Bombers (British) would be the early favourites

World's and Euro teams would be short priced favourites as they have had more time to construct lists, form strategies and to trade a lot of players in.

Plus honestly, I think we should wait until 2014 before running this. As then we'll have a proper Champions league.

Plus IMO, this is how I believe it should run. Happy to organise it also and it's probably easier on Holz as he is running the Euro comp.

The 2014 Champions League

The top 4 from each XVs competition from the 2013 season, will take part in the 2014 Champions League.

In order to establish a true winner, there will be several rounds. A round robin group stage, then a knock-out phase.

Round Robin Stage

The 16 teams, would be split into four pots, decided by end of season rankings. Then would then be randomly assigned to four groups.

The four groups would then play each other twice, for a total of 6 games. In each of these games, home advantage rule would apply.

These game would take place between AFL Round 3 - 9.

Knock-out Stage

Two wins from each group would then enter a knock-out stage.

A1 v C2, B1 vs D2, etc. etc.

The quarter finals and semi finals would have home and away legs with home advantage rules.

These games take place between round 14 - 17.

The grand final would be a once off match played in Round 20.

Thoughts?

CrowsFan

So exactly the same as the UEFA champions league, just with less teams?

Colliwobblers

Quote from: c4v3m4n on September 09, 2012, 01:27:22 PM

World's and Euro teams would be short priced favourites as they have had more time to construct lists, form strategies and to trade a lot of players in.

Plus honestly, I think we should wait until 2014 before running this. As then we'll have a proper Champions league.

Plus IMO, this is how I believe it should run. Happy to organise it also and it's probably easier on Holz as he is running the Euro comp.

The 2014 Champions League

The top 4 from each XVs competition from the 2013 season, will take part in the 2014 Champions League.

In order to establish a true winner, there will be several rounds. A round robin group stage, then a knock-out phase.

Round Robin Stage

The 16 teams, would be split into four pots, decided by end of season rankings. Then would then be randomly assigned to four groups.

The four groups would then play each other twice, for a total of 6 games. In each of these games, home advantage rule would apply.

These game would take place between AFL Round 3 - 9.

Knock-out Stage

Two wins from each group would then enter a knock-out stage.

A1 v C2, B1 vs D2, etc. etc.

The quarter finals and semi finals would have home and away legs with home advantage rules.

These games take place between round 14 - 17.

The grand final would be a once off match played in Round 20.

Thoughts?

Yeah I like that, think given we don't need every round the bye rounds should be avoided as they seem to have been in your layout.

Have to work out scoring systems to be used and home ground advantage.

I like the idea of the top 4 of each league going in, more interesting to have 4 teams from each 15's go through to Champions League.

As far as the seeding and rosters and groups ect. ect. i don't mind that all sounds good, think Holz has some idea too, has been working on setup for it i think.

but yeah most of that i like!

meow meow

Every team from every competition should be involved (if possible). It will create more interest if everyone is involved, and give teams who haven't started the year well a chance to win something. Top 4 from each group to be seeded. No home ground advantage.

Or play a group stage with everyone involved, and then the top 2 from each group proceed to the knock-out stage.

Holz

Im thinking I run a knock-out cup each year so every team can be involved so that's kind of like a club world cup. Than C4 runs the champions league where only the top teams qualify for it.

So much like the soccer there are 3 trophy's your team can win each year.

Justin Bieber

Colliwobblers

Quote from: whatlez on September 12, 2012, 07:57:58 PM
^ I like that idea.

+1 the knockout cup and the champions league. Sounds good if your both willing to run a comp.

Lots of work for those coaches who own multiple teams.

;D

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Colliwobblers on September 15, 2012, 12:49:46 PM
Quote from: whatlez on September 12, 2012, 07:57:58 PM
^ I like that idea.

+1 the knockout cup and the champions league. Sounds good if your both willing to run a comp.

Lots of work for those coaches who own multiple teams.

;D

Lots of work regardless.

Though I don't think my players could handle 3 international games per week. Don't think any sportsman could. :P