AXVs: Official Discussion Thread

Started by Colliwobblers, August 23, 2012, 01:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthemaidens

That means no double chance for finishing higher on the ladder.  How about a top 5 over 4 weeks like they do in the SANFL?   

Assuming the highest ranked teams win their matches for this example
Week 1 = 2 v 3 in double chance , 4 v 5 in knock out
Week 2 = 1 v 2 in double chance, 3 v 4 in Knock out
Week 3 = 2 v 3 in knock out
Week 4 = 1 v 2 in Grand final

Nige

This is slightly more fixture-related, but given there are now 12 teams and we have 23 rounds to work with, here's what could happen.

Assuming we have a 4-week finals system, that's down to 19 rounds left to use.

There are 3 weeks of AFL byes so we then have 16 weeks if we don't play through.

So playing everyone once in the first 11 weeks and then we'd have 5 left. In those 5 weeks, we'd play the other 5 teams in our half of Asia (whether we divide it by north/south or east/west can be voted on or whatever.

Personally I rather a 4 week finals system, so I'd be happy with what UTM proposed in the post above.

nostradamus

Will the draft be starting tonight?

......if so the pick list might need updating first to save confusion.

nas

Quote from: nostradamus on November 23, 2018, 09:32:29 PM
Will the draft be starting tonight?

......if so the pick list might need updating first to save confusion.

Been indisposed all day I am trying atm to get lists up to date.

nostradamus

Football Factory

JBs-Hawks

Rusty00

Just in case admin aren’t aware, there are a bunch of players leftover from the 2017 drafts who haven’t been included as yet in the list of players available for this year’s rookie draft

nas

Re above, current status:

Have transferred left over ND players to the RD page.
Added the players to team lists in Brown & in the Mids position for ease of checking. Will rearrange once positions are known.

Awaiting a date for cut of re Retirements / Delistings as to remove from above.
Need to go through 2017 left over players & add to the RD. **Added**
Remove the non contracted / retired players from RD.
Discuss the following: PreSeason draft pool & Pre Season Supplemental Selection players.
Then think (unless missed anything) commence the RD.

nas

Well with BB being absent since 2/12/18 being a good 6 weeks, looking very grim re his status as Moderator as well as coach?

This morning I received a notification from FootballFactory officially resigning."Quote> Hey nas, i'm done with AXV mate, sorry but i just don't like these comps anymore. Won't be joining any in the future. <Quote"

So now we are down 2 coaches by the looks of those above.

Understand we had a week of no FF forum due to server problems which also has meant that the RD didn't start on the due date as well.

Nige

So that's not exactly ideal considering the state of things. I think there needs to be another honest discussion about this comp's future, and all current coaches need to give some form of two cents so we know how everybody feels.

Here's some of the points worth discussing imo:

- As nas has mentioned, BB has been AWOL for 6 weeks. That's pretty concerning. It's part of the reason the RD got delayed. It happened without warning or anything and we have no alternative method of contacting him to find out what's going on. At this point, we're basically not only probably looking for a replacement coach but a replacement admin. nas and I are purely just trying to get things running along in case BB actually does back, but neither of really signed up to admin a comp and run things officially.

- FF has just resigned. This isn't ideal, but I think we can all understand it. In my honest opinion, if your heart isn't truly in it, you shouldn't be involved. FF has clearly decided that's the case here and we should respect that. This also means we have now two coaching vacancies, assuming worst case re: BB as well.

- This means we're down to 10 coaches for 12 teams. We just dissolved 4 teams and re-drafted a bulk of their players. I don't think cutting down further is a good idea and going through another re-draft is also not a good idea.

- Obviously this means we need replacements. General forum activity and desire to join these comps has pretty much been on a pretty big downward trend for a while, that's pretty clear to see. Given the state of this comp, quite frankly I can't see a lot of appeal in anyone wanting to join it. Yes, going out and recruiting two people is a potential solution, but with where the comp is at, I think we genuinely need coaches who not only want to be involved, but are active. That's a pretty unlikely combination.

- Forum was obviously down for a while so the rookie draft just got pushed back even further. The intention was to start tomorrow, but with BB still absent and FF now having resigned, I think we need to seriously sort out what's happening with this competition.

Personally, and I'm usually rather optimistic, I'm not entirely sure if it's worth trying to keep this comp running of what would feel like support since it does seem like we'd be prolonging the inevitable. However, if the majority wants to keep it going then I guess that's what we have to do, and I'm still happy to stay on board.

With that said, I think people need to considering all the points above and make an informed decision and state how they feel because I know both nas and I have similar thoughts on the issues at hand, and if that's more widespread than just us, a serious decision will have to be made.

Rusty00

I enjoy the Comp but it feels like it’s going to be hard to keep going. IMO the biggest aspect of these comps running successfully is having Admin who have the dedication and more importantly the time to put into to running it. Everyone who has helped in running the Comp the last 2-3 years (and there’s been a few) has done an admiral job but no-one has enough time to fully commit to it.

Perhaps we could find a couple of new coaches and get the rookie draft completed, and if the Comp found a lifeline I’d be happy to stick around with the Head Hunters. However unless we find someone who has the time to fully commit to running the Comp, I just can’t see how it can keep going :(

SydneyRox

I am back from holidays next week, so happy for the draft to start as soon as we find new coaches.

I am committed to this comp, just dont have the time to do the admin duties.

Having said that, if we made it a little easier on everyone by running via Ultimate footy then it wouldnt take up as much time as it could?

Rids

In all seriousness, comps cannot continue with multiple weeks of inactivity. I think the time has come for AXV to fold unfortunately.

Nige

So in the 11 days since my post, we've had 3 responses in this thread.

Rusty and Rids seem to share a similar opinion to nas and myself, so that's 4 of us in favour of calling for this comp to sadly die.

With BB and FF out the equation, that's 12 down to 10.

That leaves the followning coaches yet to weigh in in this thread.
UTM/Jay
JB
Coop
Ryno
Toff

If at least two of them agree that this sadly appears to be the end, I think we have to officially put it to bed.