AXVs: Official Discussion Thread

Started by Colliwobblers, August 23, 2012, 01:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawka

upthemaidens

Hopefully we can knock this draft over fairly quickly.
   Even with a shorter trade period, the Nat draft probably won't happen until at least January.  Is that a fair assumption?

Edit: Forget that I thought it was November :)  Never mind nothing to see here..  We should get the Nat Draft done in early December.

nas

Quote from: upthemaidens on October 07, 2018, 07:34:21 PM
   Even with a shorter trade period, the Nat draft probably won't happen until at least January.  Is that a fair assumption?

Edit: Forget that I thought it was November :)  Never mind nothing to see here..  We should get the Nat Draft done in early December.

I'll get a thread up whilst the Re Draft is on for the Nd & RD so that we are ready in case of pick exchanges over trade period.

upthemaidens

Quote from: nas on October 07, 2018, 07:42:21 PM
Quote from: upthemaidens on October 07, 2018, 07:34:21 PM

I'll get a thread up whilst the Re Draft is on for the Nd & RD so that we are ready in case of pick exchanges over trade period.
Yeah nice one nas.   27 degrees, daylight savings starting today and no footy on.  I thought it was November..  Oh dear  haha

BB67th

Also, we are welcoming back Koop, who is remaining as coach of the Taiwan Dolphins! Thanks to Koop for putting his hand up to keep the comp moving along by allowing us to find a 12th coach.

Rusty00

Is everyone aware the re-draft has started? Do we need a PM out to the coaches?

nas

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 07, 2018, 11:24:47 PM
Is everyone aware the re-draft has started? Do we need a PM out to the coaches?

BB sent a message to all, but just looked at it & yourself missing. Will rectify that now

Nige

Can we get a delistings/retirements thread please?

Rusty00

Just a quick one, isn't the draft order normally based on positions after finals, the same as the AFL?

upthemaidens

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 14, 2018, 05:15:52 PM
Just a quick one, isn't the draft order normally based on positions after finals, the same as the AFL?
It should be.  We have lost a few clubs, so that may have changed your spot.

Rusty00

Quote from: upthemaidens on October 14, 2018, 05:44:43 PM
We were bundled out of the finals in the first week so should be a couple spots earlier.

upthemaidens

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 14, 2018, 05:50:40 PM
Quote from: upthemaidens on October 14, 2018, 05:44:43 PM
We were bundled out of the finals in the first week so should be a couple spots earlier.
If you are not in the correct spot, maybe mentioning that before the re-draft started :)

Edit: Quick look, yep you should of been higher up.  In front of the Folders and the Bears by the looks of it.
   Originally the Strikers were 12th, since the order hadn't included finals.  I mentioned it to nas and he changed it, but I didn't check the other spots.

BB67th

So it looks as though for the re-draft we did use a draft order based primarily more on ladder position than finals position for our top 8 teams. Sorry to all that we did not pick up on this oversight previously.

Hopefully this has not impacted coaches' drafting in the redraft too much. One way to look at it is that the draft order ended up more reflecting points scored (as ladder positions and points scored lined up more than finals positions).

In this case I think the best way forward is to have the redraft stand as it is, to avoid redoing most of that draft, and moving forward we will alter the National Draft and Rookie Draft picks to reflect finals positions, as they have done each season so far.

In looking at how the draft order changed, I realise that my own team was benefited in moving up a couple of spots. Again, I hope it didn't make too much of a change for coaches, with only a couple of draft order placings being impacted.

upthemaidens

This may be somewhere, but I couldn't find it.   Now that we are a 12 club comp, what will be the Finals set up?

BB67th

Quote from: upthemaidens on November 05, 2018, 07:52:17 PM
This may be somewhere, but I couldn't find it.   Now that we are a 12 club comp, what will be the Finals set up?

This is a good point to raise, we haven't actually set anything out yet for how the finals system would work.

Personally I'd probably be in favour of a 6 team finals series. That would probably look something like a 3 week finals series.
- Week 1 = 3v6, 4v5
- Week 2 = 1v4/5, 2v3/6
- Week 3 = Grand Final

It would definitely be good to hear other suggestions though.

The other thing to consider is if we want to play through the bye rounds. It has been a staple of AXVs over the years, but I know there are coaches who would rather have the weeks off, or maybe look at doing something like the WXV with the representative games.
It's also worth considering that our squads have considerably more depth now, and it might be easier to field a competitive team in the bye weeks.