Main Menu

How is it going Carlton?

Started by AFEV, April 21, 2012, 05:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bomberboy0618

Quote from: Sid on April 22, 2012, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: roo boys! on April 22, 2012, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: Jukes on April 22, 2012, 01:30:06 AM
I reckon Bombers-Blues is a quite likely chance of a preliminary of even grand final for this year.
Prelim is unlikely, let alone granny! Bombers (and the Blues I suppose) still have to make the 8! Nothing is certain....Blues should finish top 4 still and probably make a granny or at least a prelim, but I can't see the Bombers making it to the prelim or granny. If they play like they did yesterday though they will!
I must agree we would have to overachieve majorly to make a prelim. I'd be stoked with a home final and a win in the finals :)
Still hard to pick the top 8 although from the starts you'd expect Sydney, NM and Essendon to take 3 of the spots between 5-8. 19 weeks left though, and they say a week is a long time in footy ;)
Im just hoping for a finals win.
Next year is the year that everything will happen. Be patient.
However if we win next year the lid may come flying off.

Spuds11

Bet when the put this on here they didn't plan on losing to. Melbourne

Cruiseon

Still they haven't lost 4 of their last 5.

ossie85

Quote from: Cruiseon on June 14, 2012, 12:58:54 PM

Still they haven't lost 4 of their last 5.

We couldn't be that lucky to have Carlton lose there next 3 against West Coast, Hawthorn and Collingwood? 7 losses from 8 does not a contender make. Getting ahead of myself though, I think they'll win tonight unfortunately.

Bluesman

...you've got to be kidding right??? Carlton to win tonight - what a joke! We will lose by 6+ goals for a myriad of reasons - 3 x 6 day breaks will catch up with them, think they may be rushing Scotland in particular back a bit early, Carrazzo also???, but mainly INTENSITY for the hard ball. Yes it was better last week..but of course it was going to be with all the scrutiny through the week! Suddenly we are happy with the effort we put in- an absolute disgrace!! A simple (correction) plan/instruction/philosophy to be harder at the ball DOES NOT FIX OUR MAIN PROBLEM OF NOT HAVING A PLAN B AND C!!!! All the talk of injuries etc... (while valid to a point) disguises Carlton's deeper issues that have been present the past 2-3 years. Remember the 'rot' set in when we played Essendon - when we didn't have the host of injuries - and we haven't played well since. I'll say it again - Carlton's younger players have simply NOT COME ON as would've hoped for over the past year or two - which is an indictment on the Blues hierarchy and the state of affairs as it stands. WE RELY ON TALENTED PLAYERS RATHER THAN STRUCTURES AND GAME PLANS THAT WILL STAND UP IN GAMES (ie. finals) WHEN IT MATTERS MOST!! They should take a leaf out of Collingwood's book and ensure players are ready to play a role when called upon. Have only picked Carlton's fortunes incorrectly once this year and don't suspect this will change tonight sadly... 

Cruiseon

Quote from: Bluesman on June 14, 2012, 06:35:12 PM
...you've got to be kidding right??? Carlton to win tonight - what a joke! We will lose by 6+ goals for a myriad of reasons - 3 x 6 day breaks will catch up with them, think they may be rushing Scotland in particular back a bit early, Carrazzo also???, but mainly INTENSITY for the hard ball. Yes it was better last week..but of course it was going to be with all the scrutiny through the week! Suddenly we are happy with the effort we put in- an absolute disgrace!! A simple (correction) plan/instruction/philosophy to be harder at the ball DOES NOT FIX OUR MAIN PROBLEM OF NOT HAVING A PLAN B AND C!!!! All the talk of injuries etc... (while valid to a point) disguises Carlton's deeper issues that have been present the past 2-3 years. Remember the 'rot' set in when we played Essendon - when we didn't have the host of injuries - and we haven't played well since. I'll say it again - Carlton's younger players have simply NOT COME ON as would've hoped for over the past year or two - which is an indictment on the Blues hierarchy and the state of affairs as it stands. WE RELY ON TALENTED PLAYERS RATHER THAN STRUCTURES AND GAME PLANS THAT WILL STAND UP IN GAMES (ie. finals) WHEN IT MATTERS MOST!! They should take a leaf out of Collingwood's book and ensure players are ready to play a role when called upon. Have only picked Carlton's fortunes incorrectly once this year and don't suspect this will change tonight sadly...

So its all going to plan down at Princess Park by the sounds of it, jolly good show.

For no practical reason I agree with Os about Carlton tonight however its a win/win for the Pies regardless of who gets the points.

Ziplock

sorry, I just watched a couple of the replays on afl.com.au
firstly- nic nat is a flowering freak. Just... a freak. Like... jesus.
secondly- man those were two crucial umpiring screw up against carlton. A 50 against judd for a bump, was really really harsh, but, you can kind of see where it came from (if the umpires were consistent all game). That holding the ball on joseph was just bs though, he got the ball, tried to release it, and had it knocked back by a wce player, then tried to dispose of it against, but had three guys on top of him... jeez, I would be livid.

RiOtChEsS

The Umpiring was Horse Shower...

Shaggy

They pick out 2 out of an entire games worth of umpiring calls.

Stop sooking and run lads. Looked great when your lads ran and kept the small forwards back, threatening constantly. But you kept slowing down and letting the Weagles back into it.

ossie85

10 points were flattering, late 2 goals at the end helped, and the Eagles probably should have been 5 goals up at half-time.

2 umpiring decisions? In the end, Carlton played 1 good quarter. Good effort overall probably... but nothing more.

I rated Carlton this year, and was bracing myself for a possible Carlton flag. 6-6 they could need to win ALL there remaining matches to make the top 4.

Cruiseon

Quote from: ossie85 on June 15, 2012, 09:12:47 AM

10 points were flattering, late 2 goals at the end helped, and the Eagles probably should have been 5 goals up at half-time.

2 umpiring decisions? In the end, Carlton played 1 good quarter. Good effort overall probably... but nothing more.

I rated Carlton this year, and was bracing myself for a possible Carlton flag. 6-6 they could need to win ALL there remaining matches to make the top 4.

I think everyone can forget top 4.

The discussion on radio this morning was whether they can make the top 8. Assuming teams need 13 wins to get in and Carlton could lose their next 2, it would leave the task of winning 7 of its last 8 just to make the finals. A big ask.

That said I think Carlton will get at least one win out of their next two, hopefuly not against the Pies.

RiOtChEsS

Mat0369

Quote from: Marcz on June 15, 2012, 03:33:05 AM
The Umpiring was Horse Shower...

Agreed. What a BS game. Do they not pay dropping the ball anymore? I lost count how many times a West Coast player was tackled inside Carltons forward 50 with prior, did not dispose of the ball correctly and there was no call. Add in those two BS calls and it cost Carlton the game.

Quote from: ossie85 on June 15, 2012, 09:12:47 AM

They won't make top 4 but I don't think top 4 means as much this year. A team could win the flag from 8th. You just need to have a good run come finals time to take it all out.

Quote from: Cruiseon on June 15, 2012, 10:11:01 AM

I think everyone can forget top 4.

The discussion on radio this morning was whether they can make the top 8. Assuming teams need 13 wins to get in and Carlton could lose their next 2, it would leave the task of winning 7 of its last 8 just to make the finals. A big ask.

That said I think Carlton will get at least one win out of their next two, hopefuly not against the Pies.

They are in the danger zone of missing the 8. Top 4 is gone. They have to just focus on making finals. I think that was the worst game I have ever seen Chris Judd play last night

TheMailman

In the end as Os said Carlton were a 1 quarter team regardless how you look at it. Similar to Essendon last week.

Not looking good for the Blues.....

remon tea

1. Aaron Joseph is a deplorable user of the ball
2. Garlett hasn't offered anything in our forward line for a good 2 months
3. Still not sure why we used our number one pick on a tagger? Play Gibbs how Collingwood use Sidebottom
4. Ratts should try to loosen the tag on Judd by getting Robbo/Ellard/Carrazzo to manhandle the tagger

Just a few things I learnt from the game :)