Main Menu

2009 Draft Review

Started by 2Fat2Old, December 04, 2009, 06:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Fat2Old

30 Luke Ball
Midfielder. 183cm, 84kg

Why they made this pick:
They wanted Ball, and he wanted them, in trade week but Collingwood decided to send their first round pick to get Jolly from Sydney. Unable to find another trade that worked with St Kilda, and probably another team too, they decided a big price from Ball would get him through to pick 30. That did happen. Collingwood have said they wanted Ball in the middle so younger players Beams and Sidebottom wouldn't have to do a lot of the heavy lifting for that role.

Other options the club had at this selection:
As long as Ball was there he was going to be the pick. Maybe they would have been thinking of a midfielder like Jesse Crichton if Ball was gone.

Players picked in this spot in previous drafts:
Daniel Hannebery, Jarrhan Jacky, Ricky Petterd

62 Ben Sinclair
Midfielder. 181cm, 69kg

Why they made this pick:
Coach Malthouse doesn't have long to go, so a young midfielder picked in this draft should help him a lot more in the next year or two than a project tall would.

If they wanted a tall, then Jack Hannath, Tom Hill, Dylan Grimes and Tom MacKenzie could have been chosen here.

Alistair Smith, Josh Smith, Isacc Weetra

75 Josh Thomas
Midfielder. 176cm, 74kg

Why they made this pick:
It is good manners to promise something and then deliver, so if Collingwood told Thomas to stay away from the Gold Coast because he would be drafted in the 2009 draft it made sense to pick him up.

Players that weren't pick in the draft include Dylan McNeil and Mark Hutchings who could have also been help for the Collingwood midfield.

Shane Savage, Taylor Walker

85 Simon Buckley
Midfielder. 190cm, 90kg

Why they made this pick:
Collingwood are close, so getting another player that can perform in 2010 makes sense. But S Buckley isn't old, so he can still have a long career with the Magpies. While the worst team did think of Buckley as one of their worst players, he shouldn't be judged on his last year at Melbourne when he was injured and the club was in chaos.

Myles Sewell and Michael Barlow from the VFL could have been useful, Daniel Harris may have been a good pick here if they had not landed Ball earlier.

How it works with recent drafts by the club:
In 2006 they went tall with their draft picks, and have also traded for some ruckmen, so going smaller this time and in 2008 should mean they have been balanced with their player acquisitions.

reesbr

they could of had barlow instead of buckley!!!!!!

your joking!!

MissPiesFF

I do not mind that they picked Jolly, that is obvious and yes he will pick up. As for ball WHY? Our back line and mids are almost to perfection. Only time will tell I guess. The most annoyed people would most likely be the rookies waiting to step up in pies...we have such a huge selection to choose from, I pretty much feel sorry for some of the rookies. As much as I love presti and he does an awesome job week in and week out Reid coming in will give him to show what he is worth :)

ossie85

Ball is a great choice Miss Pies! He will be CRUCIAL to our engine room, especially with O'Bree getting on a bit.

Buckley I'm not sure why we got yet. Barlow would've been better lol

Justin Bieber

lucky barlow didn't go there. he would actually be fighting for games and might not be able to reach his full potential.

freo is the place for him ;)

ossie85

Was a that a compliment about Collingwood?! I'm shocked!

Justin Bieber

50/50. 1 for not overfilling their mids. finally a smart move by collingwood. the other because they chose buckley over barlow ::).

lets see how it plays out for them