Main Menu

2009 Draft Review

Started by 2Fat2Old, December 03, 2009, 03:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Fat2Old

12 Kane Lucas
Midfielder. 188cm, 79kg

Why they made this pick:
They didn't need a midfielder, but Lucas was too good to not draft. Out of all the prospects in the draft, Lucas is probably the one who may be called "The next Judd". It will be interesting to see how they fit Lucas into the side, not only do they have the current Judd there but a lot of other midfielders.

Other options the club had at this selection:
Talia, Carlisle, Black and Astbury were some of the key position players to think about taking.

Players picked in this spot in previous drafts:
Lewis Johnston, Cyril Rioli, James Frawley

43 Marcus Davies
Midfielder. 188cm, 84kg

Why they made this pick:
A midfielder, but probably goes to the back line here. They must think they need someone to take over from Scotland in the back line, although they did get Johnson a year ago to play in that way. Complicating this a bit more, last year’s pick Rhys O'Keeffe is another player for a midfield and running defender role.

Sam Shaw would have been help for the back line. Dennis-Lane could have added some immediate goals up forward.

Liam Anthony, Easton Wood, Tim Houlihan

59 Rohan Kerr
Midfielder. 184cm, 80kg

Why they made this pick:
A midfielder, but may be used as a forward. An odd pick, as they have plenty of smaller players and another key position prospect would have been better for the list. Mitch Robinson, who they picked last year, can do similar things so maybe this wasn’t a great pick.

J W Smith and James Craig went with the following picks. Smith could be a star if healthy, while Craig may have been someone to try at centre half forward.

Nathan O'Keefe, Craig Bird, Jarryd Allen

How it works with recent drafts by the club:
It was a bit strange last time, getting Yarran very high in the draft and not picking a key position player. This draft was also unexpected as the general consensus was that they needed to find some height. They could have added two key position players even after taking Lucas in the first round, that they didn't could be a problem.

Hawks_1976

Here is my opinion on Carlton's draft strategy.

I think clubs look at the draft picks in two ways.

1. Pick the best available player.
2. Pick the best available player to fill a deficiency.

With Kane Lucas, Carlton took the best player available to them. If they were looking to fill a deficiency, they would have taken Daniel Talia.
But I believe they thought they were going to get Maguire in the preseason draft. Only to be taken by the Lions. No one can say for certain how this plays out, at this stage as a Carlton supporter I'd be upset at the club for not picking Talia but Lucas could end up being anything.

Off subject but I was secretly hoiping that the Hawks were going to take Maguire as insurance at pick 69 but it didn't happen.  :P