2014 World Cup Boss Resigns

Started by Cicjose, March 13, 2012, 09:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

Ricardo Teixeira has quit his post as head of the 2014 World Cup organising committee.

The announcement ends an era that mixed success on and off the field for Brazil with allegations of irregularities and corruption involving Teixeira, including that he took kickbacks from former FIFA marketing partner ISL in the 1990s.

The 64-year-old Teixeira, a member of FIFA's executive committee, took a leave of absence for medical reasons last week. But he said in a letter of resignation released on Monday that he was leaving permanently to look after his health and be close to his family.

The letter was read by new federation and organising committee president, former Sao Paulo governor Jose Maria Marin, who earlier this year was caught by television cameras putting a winner's medal in his pocket while presenting them to players in an under-18 tournament.

'I leave the presidency of the CBF (national federation) permanently with the sense of mission accomplished,' Teixeira wrote in the letter.

'It's not easy to preside passion. Football in our country is associated with two things: talent and disorganisation.

'When we win, talent is praised. When we lose, it's about disorganisation.

'I did what was within my reach, sacrificing my health. I was criticised in the losses and undervalued in the victories.'

The medical reasons were not officially disclosed, but last year he took leave after being hospitalised because of diverticulitis, an inflammation of the inner lining of the intestine.

Former Brazil star Romario, now a congressman, had some harsh words for Teixeira after his resignation.

'Today we can celebrate,' Romario posted on his Twitter and Facebook pages. 'We exterminated a cancer from Brazilian football. Finally, Ricardo Teixeira resigned.'

The 79-year-old Marin made headlines when he was filmed pocketing a winner's medal at the Copa Sao Paulo under-18 tournament won by Corinthians. He later said the medal was given to him, and wasn't accused of any wrongdoing by organisers.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/2014-world-cup-boss-resigns/tabid/91/newsid/85358/default.aspx

'I hope the new president, the one who stole the medal from the Corinthians player, won't repeat this act while in the federation,' Romario said.

Marin said nothing would immediately change at the federation or the World Cup organising committee with him in command.