Australian Sporting Record

Started by Cicjose, November 23, 2011, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

http://www.sportal.com.au/football-news-display/perth-party-poopers-148944

Perth defender Bas van den Brink says there's no way the Glory want to go down in history as the team that helped Brisbane set a new Australian record for unbeaten matches in professional sport.

Having equalled the previous record of 35 unbeaten games - one set by NSW Rugby Football League team Eastern Suburbs in 1937 - through last Saturday's 2-1 victory over Newcastle, the Roar will be looking to set a new benchmark when they host Perth Glory this Saturday night.

Cicjose

Luigi197

PowerBug

And then the record was halted the next week. Sydney beating Brisbane 2-0

Cicjose

BlueStorm

It was a fantastic effort to set the record!
It was fantastic to see them lose last week  ;)

I fear it will come at pain for all other teams. Ange can now remind them how crap that feels, and once Broich is back running the show, I expect them to start another streak. CCM are the only other team showing any consistency, the next macth between those two will be very interesting...

Cicjose

Brisbane are the best team in the A League by a mile so i dont know why you wanted them to lose

A League clubs should be following Ange Postecoglou's lead in recruitment, game plan and style of play

BlueStorm

Yeah Cicjose, and I have no problem with that argument. Of course all other A League clubs should be striving to emulate the Roar. I acknowledge they are ther best team by a clear margin (followed by Marriners, then another clear margin before the inconsistent rabble).

I wanted them to lose for a few reasons;

It gives the rest of the league hope. Hope in they now know that Roar can be beaten, and hope that everyone is not necessarily playing for 2nd place. Yes, the publicity the run has generated has been gold, nothing FFA could manufacture, but I didn't want to really read 3 stories a week for the rest of the season as they extended the run. Kudos, but you ARE mortal.

As a gambling man, suddenly the odds for Roar will not be so prohibitive. Hard to find value in 1.20 favourite, still only paying 1.45 for HT-FT double.

As a Victory fan, very happy to see them lose. I don't for a second imagine we shall catch them on the ladder this season, but finals are a different game. I don't want the lads facing a team on a (guessing) 52 game unbeaten run come finals in March.

I can see you may not agree with any of these reasons, and to be honest, I don't care. This is why I am glad they lost...

Cicjose

all very good valid points that i agree with but now their problem is how well they come back from this and

how they will approach playing in the Asian Football Confederation Champions League

BlueStorm

And here you have me - I am a closet Roar fan  :-[

Victory have sucked in every ACL campaign, but I have actively barracked against any progression from Sydney & Adelaide (no point in dissing the Marriners, they are hopeless in Asia). I harboured hopes that perhaps we could be the 1st Aust team to win it.

Now, screw that! I want the Champions of Australia (+ Well) to show the rest of Asia what they have shown us. A ruthless team, capable of pressuring on all lines, and passing with better efficiency than most in Asia can muster.

I have no doubt they will rebound tonight, and suspect they will still walk away with the double this season. Love to beat them though