WXV: The Pacific Islanders

Started by c4v3m4n, November 14, 2011, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Impromptu

c4v3m4n

Banfield and Witts splashdown in the Pacific
By Terry Richardson

The Pacific Islanders have finalised their playing list for the inaugural 2012 W15 season as the trade window came to a close early this morning.

Defenders Michael Jamison and James Frawley have left the club and have now found new homes with other clubs and the Islanders welcome to the playing group, Todd Banfield and Jarrod Witts.

Head coach, c4v3m4n, spoke to us today about the loss/gain of players during the trade window.

"Losing both Jamison and Frawley is a setback to our defence, however we've got wealth of young talent knocking at the door for selection. Players like Luke Brown, Matthew Jaensch, Nick Suban and even Tom Simpkin are making excellent progress so far and should make for excellent replacements."

"Todd Banfield is a fantastic addition to our forward line. He's got amazing skills, great set of hands and fantastic leadership traits too. Yes, he currently is struggling with a minor knee injury, but he'll be ready for the pre-season friendlies against the Beijing Bears and the Moscow Spetsnaz."

"Acquiring the services of Jarrod Witts solved the final ruck dilemma we had. With a young playing group, we needed to look at who was going to step up after Jolly retires down the track. While Tom Nicholls has shown excellent promise and dedication, we felt we just needed another ruckman and Witts ticked all of those boxes and more."

The Islanders will also be naming their leadership group and the players numbers for season 2012 as early as today. Chris Judd is heavily favourited for the captaincy position, with other senior players like Petrie, Gibson and Black in contention.

The players have been offered to keep their original playing numbers from their now disbanded AFL club, but many have chosen not to retain them. Nick Smith explained his reason for wanting a new guernsey number.

"Playing for the Sydney Swans in the AFL was well, simply amazing. But now that the AFL has been disbanded, I've put that part of my life behind me. I still keep in contact with the boys, but I've moved on and am now looking forward to starting a new career with the Islanders. This said, I made the decision to look for a new playing number that I can make my own here at the Islanders."

The Islanders first pre-season friendly match is against the Beijing Bears to be held on the weekend of the March 2 - 4 and will be held in Beijing.

c4v3m4n

Prestia number 1 at the Islanders
by Eliza Fisher

The Pacific Islanders held an elaborate function last night in which it has announced the players' inagural guernsey numbers for the Pacific Islanders first season in the World 15s.

Dion Prestia, the dashing young midfielder who played for the Gold Coast Suns before the disbandment of the AFL, was the first name to be announced, and was awarded with the No. 1 guernsey for the Islanders' inaugural season.

Prestia, who was suprised and shocked at the choice of being given the prestigious first guernsey, admitted that being handed with the No. 1 guernsey will drive him further to succeed in 2012.

"While everyone strives to be the best at their club, wearing the No. 1 guernsey is the strongest motivation to be the best. I'm stoked to have been chosen to wear this number, and will wear it with great pride."

Players were given the option to retain their same number they once wore in the AFL, or to start afresh. Senior Islander players Chris Judd, Simon Black, Quinten Lynch and Josh Gibson decided to take up that offer and retain their number they once wore for their respective clubs.

Speaking at the function last night, Simon Black couldn't wait to play for the Islanders and wear the number 20 again, the same number he once wore playing for the now defunct Brisbane Lions.

"It was an abolsute privlidge to play Aussie Rules football for the Brisbane Lions for an amazing 14 years, and it's a unique feeling we players have for our guernsey number. I was blessed with wearing the number 20 for all 14 years at the Lions, and I can't wait to wear this number again. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure most of my teammates know what I'm talking about or perhaps I've simply lost my mind after all these years."

There was also some heavy emotion at the dinner when Barry Mitchell, former Sydney, Carlton and Collingwood player made a surprise appearance and presented his son, Tom Mitchell with the number 10 guernsey, the same number he made famous when playing for Sydney.

Both were close to tears as Tom Mitchell commented on the honour of being able to wear his fathers number.

"My father had a such a great football career, playing over 200 games for Sydney, Collingwood and Carlton. If I can have half as great of a career as he had, I'll be more than happy with my efforts. But for me to be wearing a guernsey with the same number as my father once wore, is simply the biggest pat on the back, the biggest hug and the biggest inspiration for me to make my father and my family more prouder than they obviously already are of me. This is an honor that I simply will never forget and treasure forever."

Full details on all player numbers for season 2012, are available here:

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44821.msg590565.html#msg590565

The Pacific Islanders will be holding a press conference tomorrow night and it is rumoured that Chris Judd will formally be announced as the Islanders inaugural captain for the first season in the W15s along with the leadership group.

c4v3m4n

LIVE PRESS CONFERENCE

The Pacific Islanders CEO Mark O'Connor and head coach c4v3m4n have entered the room and have sat down.

It is rumored that today's press conference has been called to name the Pacific Islanders inagural captain for their first season in the W15s, along with vice-captains or a leadership group. Other suggestions have been made that new sponsors will announced or there will be updates on the new stadiums.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please be seated", CEO Mark O'Connor says.

The press conference is underway. CEO O'Connor - "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for coming again to yet another Pacific Islanders press conference. I can promise you that this one will be very brief, so let's get started".

"The press have been bang on the money with the reason why we have called this press conference, we are here today to announce the Pacific Islanders first captain and the leadership group that will lead the Islanders into our inagural World 15s season. But first, to we'd like to take a short minute to announce the progress of our stadia."

The press snicker and giggle with the deliberate shift before the captaincy announcement.

"We are pleased to announce that all of our stadia projects are either on-time or in front of schedule. This is fantastic news. Linkbelt Oval as of the 1st February, has now been fully completed and the Islanders will be able to use this stadium for their home pre-season challenge match in March. We hope that all of our supporters will come out to this game, not only to support the team, but to witness the birth of the stadium we have longed to give the people of Nauru and the South Pacific."

"Oakley Arena in Tonga, is ahead of schedule and will now be ready for use by Round 3 in 2012, Tuanaimato International Stadium in Samoa is on schedule and still on track for a Round 6 opening."

"Our flagship stadium, BSP Stadium in Fiji is also on time and on budget and will be fully ready by the middle of the World 15s season. We are extremely satisfied with the results so far and its a credit to the construction company, Grocon. Their work is second-to-none and we are proud to have them constructing these world-class venues."

"Now ladies and gentlemn, I would like to pass it to our esteemed head coach, c4v3m4n to discuss our pre-season briefly and then make the leadership group announcement. Thank you."

Mark O'Connor now passes the press conference onto the Pacific Islanders head coach, c4v3m4n. Just repeating, the Islanders have announced that their stadia are either on time or ahead of schedule, as is in the case of Linkbelt Oval which was completed on Wednesday and will be officially opened with the Islanders first pre-season challenge match against the Moscow Spetsnaz in March.

"Ladies and gentlemen, now the time you've been waiting for. The announcement of the Pacific Islanders leadership group for our inaugural season. Can you all please make welcome, the senior playing group." *applause*

The Pacific Islanders senior playing group have now entered the room and are standing to the side of the conference.

"Thank you for joining us today fellas."

"After long and careful consideration, we have decided to award the inagural captaincy for the Pacific Islanders to...

"Chris Judd." *applause*

Chris Judd comes forward, shakes c4v3m4n's hand along with the hand of CEO Mark O'Connor and takes a seat next to c4v3m4n.

"Chris Judd was chosen to lead the Pacific Islanders for various reasons. His captaincy with the now defunct Carlton Blues was a major reason, but the board and I felt that we need someone with his seniority, skills and mentoring ability."

"I'll pass it to Chris Judd to say a few words."

"Thanks c4v3m4n. It's truly an honor to have been chosen to be the Pacific Islanders inaugural captaincy in our first season in the World 15s. I learnt alot at my time at Carlton as captain and I hope to being a great deal of knowledge to the Islanders as I lead them this season. I'm looking forward to working with the other members of the yet-to-be announced leadership group as we strive for greatness in 2012. I think I speak on behalf of all of my team members when I say that we all have the drive, the determination to become a strong club here in the Pacific. Thanks once again." - Chris Judd.

"Thank you Chris."- c4v3m4n.

"Now, the CEO and I have had a long discussion about the vice-captaincy and we have decided to name not one but several vice captains in the form of a leadership group."

"Those members that will part of the Islanders inaugural leadership are as follows and please give them an applause as they are named".

"First cab of the rank, Simon Black. His wisdom after 14 years of football made him an amazing candidate to help lead this young team for 2012." *applause*

"Secondly, Drew Petrie. An amazing footballer with mentoring abilities that are second-to-none." *applause*

"Thirdly, Josh Gibson. His hard work and determination has been finally recognised and awarded with this leadership position." *applause*

"Finally and he's the youngest member of the leadership group, David Swallow. His tactical awareness, his repport with the staff and players, and his stellar debut year with the Gold Coast Suns last year in the AFL made him the perfect candidate. *applause*

All four members of the new leadership group come foward and shake hands with c4v3m4n, Mark O'Connor and Chris Judd.

"With a recommendation like that, next thing you know he (David Swallow) will be gunning for my job", laughed Chris Judd.

"Hey, c4v3m4n, it's not too late to change your mind", joked David Swallow.

"I'd like to once again congratulate Chris Judd, Simon Black, Drew Petrie, Josh Gibson and David Swallow on their appointments as captain and as members of the leadership group respectively."

"That concludes today's press conference, we thank you once again for coming."

ossie85

What could possibly be the announcement?

CrowsFan

Quote from: c4v3m4n on February 04, 2012, 08:46:46 PM
CEO O'Connor - "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for coming again to yet another Pacific Islanders press conference. I can promise you that this one will be very brief, so let's get started".
How is 35 minutes and still no announcement brief? ::)

c4v3m4n

Quote from: CrowsFan on February 04, 2012, 09:37:18 PM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on February 04, 2012, 08:46:46 PM
CEO O'Connor - "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for coming again to yet another Pacific Islanders press conference. I can promise you that this one will be very brief, so let's get started".
How is 35 minutes and still no announcement brief? ::)

Minor real-life distractions plus I'm using the internet off my phone so its tough. :P

Purple 77

I really admire how much work you've done on your team thread, I just went through it all and its really cool!

Keep up the good work c4!

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Purple 77 on February 05, 2012, 10:36:48 AM
I really admire how much work you've done on your team thread, I just went through it all and its really cool!

Keep up the good work c4!

Thanks P77, really appreciate that. I enjoy doing these things even if it is completely unnecessary and over the top! Provides some additional flair to the competition.

Don't be afraid to give it a go yourself!

c4v3m4n

Pacific Players Put on Notice

Pacific Islanders Head Coach c4v3m4n held a press conference this afternoon shortly after their training session to discuss all things pre-season. But moments into the press conference, the mood quickly changed as c4v3m4n took aim at his players after some 'lacklustre' performances.

"Am I happy with how our pre-season went? No, I'm not. Far from it actually. Too many of our senior players failed to step up and they have all be put on notice. Only three players in the pre-season managed an average of 80 or greater and that is just plain unacceptable. What makes it worse is that there were only 6 players that averaged between 60 and 80. I'd go as far as saying that this pre-season has been a total failure."

The Islanders were unable to register a single win throughout the WXV Pre-season Challenge Cup, going down to the Bears, the Spetsnaz and the Brewers. But out of all of this gloom, there were some positives to be found.

"If there is one thing I can be happy for it was the spectacular turnout by the fans for the opening of the redeveloped Linkbelt Oval. It was amazing to see the overwhelming support from the Pacific community. For their sake, I hope we can turnaround these lacklustres performances into many victories."

"I think the attendance for our 2nd round clash was close to a sell-out which is exceptional. We are also looking at a repeat of those figures when we playing the Spetsnaz again, this time for the real 4 points in Round 2."

Head Coach c4v3m4n also gave us some insight into the make up over the historic Round 1 clash against their Pacific rivals, the Wellington Warriors.

"I haven't quite finalised the team sheet yet, but I can announce that Nick Smith, Lewis Roberts-Thomson and Sam Reid will all feature in the team. All three have proved themselves over the pre-season and will be sure to make a splash come Round 1".

"Some of the younger players in Miles, Mohr, Clifton and Cunningham have also done well but unfortunately didn't make the squad this week. But I guarantee they'll all be given a chance to represent the Islanders at some point this season."

Finally, Head Coach c4v3m4n hinted on some exciting projects the Islanders are looking at undertaking in the year.

"Well, we all know that the Islanders are seen as somewhat pioneers; first with guernseys, membership programs, sponsors etc. I won't give too much away at this present point in time, but the fans will certainly enjoy what we have in store."

The Islanders Round 1 clash against the Wellington Warriors will take place this weekend at Manila Polo Ground, Manila, Phillipines.

ossie85

The Islanders have had some teething issues, with the change of coach early, but think c4 is definitely taking it in the correct direction!

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on March 23, 2012, 07:24:43 AM

The Islanders have had some teething issues, with the change of coach early, but think c4 is definitely taking it in the correct direction!

I can't take all the credit. I have my incredibly magnificent team of assistants to thank for all their hard work and effort. :)

ossie85

Hi guys - C4 is still absent :(

Any of his assistants wanting to make a team for him this week, please do so...

The only thing that has to happen is Darren Jolly is locked as the ruck.

c4v3m4n

Smallest Club, Biggest Heart

By Michael Stringer

Serveral weeks ago, the W15 world was shocked by the sudden illness of Pacific Islanders head coach, c4v3m4n. Suffering an acute case of pnuemonia, he's was given the orders to stop coaching, take an immediate leave of absence and rest up. But against orders, the head coach was seen at training and even giving advice from the sidelines. Nothing was going to stop c4v3m4n from being involved with his beloved team.

All looked on the up for head coach as he even contemplated returning to full coaching duties before the Round 5 match against the Beijing Bears, however, things took a turn for the worse. During his routine morning jog around the Islanders training facility, he collapsed and was immediately rushed to hospital. Unfortunately, c4v3m4n had suffered a serious relapse, one that would require weeks of hospitalization.

With this sad news, the Pacific Islanders have banded together and produced 3 of the most awe-inspiring performances the sporting world has seen. After the Round 5 match against the Beijing Bears, Simon Black was quoted as saying, "Before this match, we, the playing group, all agreed before the game that we couldn't leave this arena without a win. Losing here wouldn't be fair for c4v3m4n. He's the most determined and strong-willed coach in the competition and we were determined 110% to win for him."

The admiration for c4v3m4n was also shown at a media conference during the leadup to the Round 6 match against the Destroyers. One member of the press made a comment that Islanders surely can't keep using same old line that "We are going to win this for c4v3m4n" and a riled-up Dion Prestia took aim and said, "We will, and we are going to do nothing less than win. We'll win for us, for the staff, for the fans, and you're god damn right we are going to win this for c4v3m4n."

According to reports, head coach c4v3m4n called Islanders captain Chris Judd after the emphatic Round 7 win against the New York Eagles, with a simple message, "Amazing win, see you tomorrow morning for debrief. You heard me.". With this information, the dressing room erupted in further celebration.

c4v3m4n, was true to his word and arrived at the Islanders HQ this morning with an amazing welcome. The playing group, the assistant coaches, staff members and even fans of the Islanders gathered to form a guard of honor as c4v3m4n entered the building. The truly moving welcome brought c4v3m4n to shed a tear or two as he joked to the crowd, "I wouldn't mind this every morning I came to work. Thank you everyone, it's really great to be back."

Banding together, the spirit and determination that this small club has showed the W15 world is simply something to admire. Their efforts on and off the field have not gone unnoticed and the whole world now eagerly awaits the next chapter in this amazing story.

ossie85

Absolutely inspiring stuff c4!

I think the Pacific might be my 2nd team :)

Hope its all behind you now.