Started by DazBurg, October 22, 2011, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Still 7 spots left in the SC Chat league

GoLions

1 spot left!

904133 (SC)

Nige

Hey all, so in attempt to kind of bring a more real time alternative for members of the forum, we've gone ahead and set up a FanFooty Discord server. It'll serve as a newer and more modern version of the old FF chat. All the details you need to know are below:

Quote from: Nige on May 24, 2017, 10:26:25 AM
So, the Discord server is basically up an running. I still have to add a few things here and there but it's set up enough to be functional imo.

To download Discord, you can go here: https://discordapp.com/

The above link will allow you to either access Discord online or allow you to download the program (that's what I use). As I mentioned before, you can also get the app on your phone.

If you don't already have Discord, you'll have to create an account. It's free, quick and easy to do. It's probably best people use their FF name, but if you already use Discord under a different name or want to sign up under a different name, that's fine - we can always change your name once you get on.

The link to the server is: https://discord.gg/95UJz7f

Once you get on, you should be able to start chatting straight away in the text channels.

For anyone who wants to use the voice channels (I doubt this will be popular or interest many, but the option is there), I advise you set up push-to-talk (PTT). Basically, in the settings you can set up a key as your 'PTT' button to speak on mic if you want, this just blocks out background noise, typing sounds and other noises you might make while on mic. This obviously requires you to have a mic to speak, but you can still also sit in voice channels and simply listen to anyone conversing.

There's an @ feature to tag members. Generally, a member will get a notification if they've been tagged. Please don't abuse this feature or use it to annoy anyone. One thing I suggest is tagging an admin or mod when you get on so we know who has arrived for the first time and can help you with any basics like a name change or giving a role.

Another thing that people might find helpful is that you can still be on Discord but afk (away from keyboard). There are 3 other settings apart from online that you can mark yourself as to indicate your status. Idle, Do Not Disturb or Invisible. Might be good for those that still wanna be on and have access to Discord, but aren't around to actively chat, or are at work, school or whatever.

I'll add a bunch of rules and stuff over the course of the day but common sense and common courtesy apply. Anything that will get you reported, suspended or banned here on the forum will go for the Discord.

I plan to keep the same roles for the forum. So those who are site-wide mods here will get mod powers and those with Discord experience will also get mod powers to help assist those who are new.

If there are any other questions, let me know. KB and (I assume) a couple of others around here probably have used Discord before so I'll get them to help out with that stuff if need be.

Nige

Quote from: Nige on May 24, 2017, 05:41:32 PM
Alright, so if you click the Open Discord in your browser option, it'll open up a screen where it'll make your pick a name and whatnot.

Then you'll probably get to this screen:

Just mouse over to the FF logo on the side and then click on the logo and you'll come to the chat screen:

If you click the Download for Windows, then you should get the program installed on your desktop and see it like here:

Then just click on it and once you open it from there, you'll just have to follow the steps like in the first pics to start chatting.

The program should look like this:

Basically, the difference is that you either run it in your browser (so Chrome in my instance as you can see in the first two pics and can still just change tabs in FF or whatever website you're on.

Or, alternatively, you can get the program and just have in an entire window of its own.

Hopefully that explains it.

If anyone reckons I've missed a step or it's unclear, let me know.

Hawka

GoldDigger

Quote from: Hawka on May 25, 2017, 01:15:05 AM
Best idea ever

I like the idea - just need to make it work

Bill Manspeaker

that just seems dodgy to me why do they need my number

Bill Manspeaker

I thought flower it I'll just do it, but I can't do it anyway because it's formatted like XXX-XXX-XXXX instead of XXXX-XXX-XXX so when i put in my number it says it's invalid or something

Bill Manspeaker

all good I emailed support and they fixed it

if anyone has a similar problem just email support@discordapp.com

Koop

Koop

kilbluff1985

to bad i cant block u on here also

LaHug

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 06, 2019, 01:09:45 AM
to bad i cant block u on here also

I can edit all his posts. That's a start ;)