Main Menu

Real Life Cricket

Started by Barlow 21, October 10, 2011, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torpedo10

Quote from: NoButYeah on November 19, 2012, 06:02:29 PM
Quote from: Jayman on November 18, 2012, 07:36:03 PM
That would be flowering right, a flowering horrible umpiring decision gives me my first ever pair. Considering giving it up, would save me from going through disapointment after disapointment

I got a pair once. First one was LBW and the second... Well, I thought it'd be safe to leave... Jagged back about 4 inches and took out my off stump.
Anything 4 inches near the stump you surely have to play at, was it a spinner? 

roo boys!

Quote from: Torpedo10 on November 19, 2012, 06:26:49 PM
That would be flowering right, a flowering horrible umpiring decision gives me my first ever pair. Considering giving it up, would save me from going through disapointment after disapointment

I got a pair once. First one was LBW and the second... Well, I thought it'd be safe to leave... Jagged back about 4 inches and took out my off stump.
4 inches is a fair way outside off Torp...

elephants

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on November 18, 2012, 07:45:00 PM
Made my comeback and was definitely a bit rusty 0/20 off 7 on a road wssnt a bit average but took a couple catches one ripper diving catch in short mid. Then came out and made 9 before dragging one on. Robbed of a hundred I say.

Hahahaha ;D

Torpedo10

Quote from: roo boys! on November 19, 2012, 09:15:08 PM

Depends if it was a spinner or a seamer.

roo boys!

Quote from: Torpedo10 on November 19, 2012, 09:21:14 PM

The fact that he said it "jagged back" would indicate a quickie.

pyronerd

Quote from: roo boys! on November 20, 2012, 08:50:45 AM

genius torp :P

NoButYeah

Quote from: roo boys! on November 20, 2012, 08:50:45 AM

It was their opener.

Tominator

boys I need some help... I have been having a good season, but with pretty inconsistent scores, and I wanna know if you guys have any tips on this.

I tend to go on a make decent scores once I can get my eye in, which is generally after I face about 10-15 balls, but until then I am like Mike Hussey, a very nervous starter. This season I've made 31, 4, 50no, 19, 5, 27, 3, 18no, and 1.

The four single-digit scores have been when I've faced less than 10 balls. The 3 was when I chopped a ball on and last weekend I made 1 after attempting a cover drive but getting caught behind. I'm a nervous starter but as I said once I get my eye in I am very difficult to get out and generally make a decent score.

With that in mind, what are people's tips for getting through those first 10-15 balls and getting your eye in before you get out?

Thanks for all advice  :)

Jay

Hey mate, I have experienced a similar problem but I will give you the best advice I can

I would suggest just putting away your cover drive for the first 10-15 balls of your innings and just focusing really hard to hang around. It is always great to get a shot away early in your innings and really gets your confidence up but that reward does not outweigh the risk IMO e.g. you can easily catch the outside edge if you're eye is not it in yet.

Early in your innings just try to push the singles, dont worry about batting too slowly as you can always make that up later when you are settled.

I have always found that run 0-1 is the hardest you have to make in any innings, my plan is just to tell your partner to back up, hit it in a gap and run.

So yeah, just park away your attacking shots early and just focus as hard as you can to face out the first 10-15 balls of your innings. Then look to tick the scoreboard over

Hope I helped :)

JBs-Hawks

upthemaidens

Quote from: Tominator on March 08, 2013, 09:32:00 PM
boys I need some help... I have been having a good season, but with pretty inconsistent scores, and I wanna know if you guys have any tips on this.

I tend to go on a make decent scores once I can get my eye in, which is generally after I face about 10-15 balls, but until then I am like Mike Hussey, a very nervous starter. This season I've made 31, 4, 50no, 19, 5, 27, 3, 18no, and 1.

The four single-digit scores have been when I've faced less than 10 balls. The 3 was when I chopped a ball on and last weekend I made 1 after attempting a cover drive but getting caught behind. I'm a nervous starter but as I said once I get my eye in I am very difficult to get out and generally make a decent score.

With that in mind, what are people's tips for getting through those first 10-15 balls and getting your eye in before you get out?

Thanks for all advice  :)
Keep ya head still, bat straight and a good stride forward. Tell yourself "Forward defensive, forward defensive"  :)
     Just block until you have the feel for the conditions (get your eye in)..
    Dont be lured into hitting/chasing the bad ball and getting caught early (your timing might not be there)

Also take deep breaths and try to slow your heart rate.  Nervousness is normally just an effect of increased heart rate.

Hope that helps in some way.

JBs-Hawks

Or just do what i do, put the cover drive away and look for cow!

Jay

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on March 08, 2013, 10:46:11 PM
Or just do what i do, put the cover drive away and look for cow!
haha, yes JB! ;D

Yeah some good advice from UTM there

roo boys!

Pretty much what the others have said, always have faith in yourself to pick up the scoring later on so you can confidently play out the first few overs of your innings.

As an example when I came out to bat on Saturday we were 5/20 and they were all over us, my partner and I faced out nearly 8 maidens in a row until he got a single haha, but after that I was seeing the ball nicely and as soon as a change in bowling came I was playing them with ease and ended up getting a 50 probably not much over a run a ball, given I faced about 20-25 dots to start my innings but unfortunately we were 9 down when I brought it up so didn't really get to go on with it.

Nige

I don't have advice on what to do, but I do have advice on what not to do. Don't try to slog every ball. ::) I speak from experience of course.  :P