The most underated players in the AFL

Started by Cam_Nash, September 05, 2011, 09:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam_Nash

The AFL, an elusive sport which competing teams battle for the ultimate prize of eternal premiership glory. Players tirelessly train under there selected coaches to dream that they can one day be champions. "Champions" a loose term used for players who have experienced glory, Chris Judd or Gary Ablett both experienced a win in that one day of september. They are known for the glory, their workrate, their respected status. But what if there are players in our game who play, week in, week out, unnoticed. Notching up great statistics every match, contributing to the clubs structure, but still, the people in our society and the media fail to comprehend their full potential. These are five individual players who undoubtedly are not completely recognised for the players they are.

5. Scott Thompson

Amidst the horror year at Adelaide, Thompson appearing this year and amassing 21 games notching up a massive 50 disposal effort against Gold Coast and averaging just over 30 disposals a game, Thompson undoubtedly shines over the shallow depth of the Adelaide midfield. The inconsistent likes of Bernie Vince and Nathan Van Berlo, we continue to see the further eventuated position of elite status of the superstar player

4. Jack Redden

This player is at the young age of 20 and already averages 24 disposals and does not get the same acknowledgement as his counterparts of Tom Rockliff and Daniel Rich. A superstar player weekly gathering disposals and using it to a high effectiveness and averaging over 7 tackles per game resulting in the great physical prowess he presents. It will eventually be known, when the Brisbane Lions perform better, this player can be one of the most elite in the competition.

3. Ben Johnson

With the likes of Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and many more support acts of one of the best teams in the competition, their will always be players who go unoticed, Ben Johnson is possibly one of the best rebounding defenders in the competition. It is easy to scoff at that statement but as Heath Shaw's displacement from the team, Johnson has relinquished his position and had averaged just over 22 disposals this year, although injury has dogged him , he is the ultimate wheel in Collingwood's premiership battle. His great ability to shut down opponents whilst hurting them with his slick and effective ball use is simply amazing

2. Ben Reid

This Collingwood defender is one of the best competition at reading the play and rebounding from the opposition, his tall stature and complete role as a defender is still completely undervalued at the great club that he plays for. It is almost certain that Reid will become All - Australian this year and hopefully be known by our society as one of the best in our game

1. Josh P. Kennedy

The recycled player from Hawthorn, did not show a lot of promise at his old club and not many people could see why they picked up this bloke. Sydney are now laughing as this player has emerged from nowhere to reach elite status but is still not recognised. Fifth in Contested possessions and sixth in clearances, an absolute star considering he is named in top 5 contested possession winners amongst superstars GAJ, Judd, Boyd and Priddis. Im sure not many people would rate him amongst the likes of those players.

This is my list, if there is something you don't agree with or other players you would like to mention, please reply in a respectful manner in accordance with Fan Footy's rules

Signing Out

Cam_Nash

Ringo

Like your work.  Agree with Redden he played every game this year and was the Lions top scoring player in DT ahead of the others.  Whilst he was the second on averages only just behind Rockliff. may be a reasonable pick up for next yaer at around $110k cheaper than Rockliff.

North Melbournes Finest

A smokey would have to be Shane Tuck, I know his ball distribution is pretty poor/average, but his willingness never to give up on making the team, and to get the hard ball is highly underrated.

Scott Thompson is a huge one as well, he hasn't had a lot of time to be rated though, this has been a massive break out year for him.

Cam_Nash

Very True, Tuck dogged with injury is possibly a good buy next year

CFC 1979

Quote from: Cam_Nash on September 05, 2011, 10:21:00 PM

bet you he gets delisted

BGK

Quote from: CFC 1979 on September 05, 2011, 11:05:03 PM
Quote from: Cam_Nash on September 05, 2011, 10:21:00 PM

bet you he gets delisted

Heard a rumour that he may be about to re sign. No proof and I'm not sure if there is any substance to it either.

Joseph_Xuereb

Ben ried is not underrated. Clearly your a filthy scum pies supporter. Goooood win against geelong on the weekend, you really won. Lolzier.

Joe_xuereb

BGK

Quote from: Joseph_Xuereb on September 06, 2011, 09:08:23 AM
Ben ried is not underrated. Clearly your a filthy scum pies supporter. Goooood win against geelong on the weekend, you really won. Lolzier.

Joe_xuereb

There is no need for your attitude. If you don't agree with him don't reply.

I hope he is a filthy scum REIGHNING PREMIERS AND MINOR PREMIERS pies supporter.

Aren't you supposed to be in class little boy?

meow meow

Kennedy sucks.

Can't kick, doesn't get as much of the pill as the good contested ball winners like Swallow, Mitchell, Boyd and Thompson. Sure he wins contested ball, but doesn't get any uncontested ball, so he must not be working hard enough to get into space. All he can do is wait for a stoppage, win the ball and dish off an ineffective handball.

1. Dayne Beams. Has been the best player for his age since he entered the competition, and has reached the elite level. Is as good as any Collingwood midfielder.

2, Kade Simpson

3. Farren Ray

4. James Gwilt

5. Gary Ablett junior. The fact that some people don't rate him as the best player in the AFL shows that he is still underated.

Ringo

You forgot Drummond Meow.  Thought he would have been top of your list,

supercoach addict

Clearly he is a collingwood supporter though.

Cam_Nash

Dayne Beams is not underated, the amount of attention he has got after his trip back from altitude training and his elite form was amazing, his prescence and story is known all over Australia. "meow meow", you say Kennedy sucks because he doesnt win any uncontested possesion, that is ridiculous, you need to work harder to win contested possesion and have a great ability to read the play, as listed, Priddis, Judd, GAJ and Boyd must not work hard enough to get into space by your standards then. It is completely arguable that Ablett is the best and i could argue that Judd or Pendles are better then him at the moment. Lets see how he polls in the brownlow this year.

meow meow

Dane Beams isn't Dane Swan.

See, you don't even know who he is!!!

Kennedy sucks and he isn't mentioned in the same regard as the players you listed, because he isn't as good. He doesn't set much up, unlike Judd and Priddis. Boyd and Ablett accumate possessions around the ground due to having a superior workrate and willingness to get into space.

Argue that Pendlebury is better than Ablett. Go on.

Cam_Nash

Beams went to Arizona after he fractured his foot for four weeks,

"Kennedy sucks and he isn't mentioned in the same regard as the players you listed"

What am i talking about!!! What is this topic?

Underated players, I think he should be mentioned to the same regard of those players who are listed

and maybe not Pendles but Judd is better than GAJ

pothead

just a quick few off the top in no order

Thomas Murphy - I think this guy does a great job and holds up the hawks backline more than people notice

Ben Johnson - Great solid provider for the club but gets over shadowed with Swan and Pendles and Thomas around.

James Kelly - I rate James quite alot i think he is close to being geelongs best player and i don't think he gets quite enough recognition of how good he actually is

Mitch Robinson - Another great midfielder but he is also overshadowed by players like Judd and Murphy.

Sam Jacobs - has been a great ruckman for adelaide this year and is highly underated.