The most underated players in the AFL

Started by Cam_Nash, September 05, 2011, 09:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Nic Nat was pick 1? MELBOURNE WISHES HE WAS

gpdemons

Nic Nat is close to the most overrated player in the competition, god I'm sick of hearing about his "freakish ability". Sure, he occasionally does the odd running goal or pack mark, but that's it, that's all he will do in the game and he gets so much credit for it. As soon as he starts being consistent and doesn't just do 2 or 3 good things per game I'll start calling him a good player. As bad as Jack Watts has been, I'd rather have him at the moment.

hugopacker

though i do like beams, and mitch robinson can play a blinder here and there, you cant call a teams 4/5/6th string midfielders as underrated because they are able to run free and find space that their teams better mids create for them. Very few players in victoria can be considered underrated due to the saturation of media, further the only commentator who has any idea about WA footy is Cometti, and not sure if there are any who know about the SA clubs or the northern ones.

Had it not been for fantasy, Broughton would not be recognised as a good player at all, and despite his low scoring season (barring the mid-year explosion) he still plays his role very well. Shannon Hurn is massively underrated. Agree entirely with S. Thompson and Redden, though i think Thompson has always been considered very good, but not quite elite.

I still think Natanui is overrated by a lot of people, as his impact on the game is few and far between, but does a good job as cox's no. 2

meow meow

Even a stupid Victorian like me can see that Nic Nat is now the number 1 ruck at the Eagles.

Fletch74

Quote from: meow meow on September 07, 2011, 01:58:37 PM
Even a stupid Victorian like me can see that Nic Nat is now the number 1 ruck at the Eagles.
That's why he didn't make the AA squad and the #2 ruckman at the Eagles did ::)

meow meow

For the first time this season, Champion Data is measuring the effect each ruckman, combination of midfielders, and combination of foursomes at centre bounces are having.

The stats boffins have been blown away by Naitanui's effect since round 19.

In that five-match block, Naitanui has contested 84 centre bounces. Of those, the Eagles have won 53 clearances, lost 22 and nine times there has been a secondary stoppage.

Naitanui's clearance differential of +31 blows his good mate Cox, favourite for No.1 All-Australian ruckman selection, out of the water.

In the same time, West Coast is -7 for clearances at centre bounces when Cox takes the ruck contest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I don't place too much importance on statitics, but those are some pretty impressive figures. I'm merely commenting on what I can see happening. Nic Nat doesn't need to even get a disposal to be effective in the contest. It's no coincidence that he starts in the ruck every week. He has improved so much this year, and overtaken Cox as the first choice ruck at the eagles. I'm not saying he is better, cos Cox is probably the best ruck i've seen play, and does so much around the ground. But Naitanui is better than most people realise.

fortynine

With the amount of detail the statistics and now going into, it's becoming more and more clear who the 'underrated' players are. I know a lot of people are sceptical about statistics and don't necessarily place too much weight behind them, but the statistics that are becoming more and more focused on now are based around effectiveness/involvement in scoring chains etc. I certainly agree with what you have said in relation to Nic Nat and the new CD stats coming out, the vision itself backs it up.

I rate Nic Nat as in impact player very highly, the argument with him is around his consistency and continued involvement around the field like Dean Cox the master does.

----------

Anywho, I'm quite bias as to who I think are underrated players in the AFL. But as a Carlton supporter who tries to read every news outlet and website for opinions on all players, think that Mitch Robinson in particular is an underrated midfielder. This season he went from being reckless for the sake of it, to now being reckless to the benefit of his team. Some of the in and under work and body checking he does around the field as well as getting ball inside and out says that his body is maturing and he's coping with the extra work. His kicking on both sides has improved and he gets big distance out of both, once he learns to fine tune it a bit I think he'll be quite destructive in years to come as he also has good goal sense.

Other mentions without going into much detail:

- Scott Thompson (would take #1 spot in about any other team aswell)
- Tom Rockliff (huge wraps for someone not known outside DT & SC fans)
- Jack Redden (same goes)
- Ben Reid
- Matthew Suckling
- Shannon Hurn
- Harley Bennell (just because I think he had a rough year this season mentally and the last game showed he may justify #2 pick)

The return

Jack Redden, his only 20, like people have said if he was in melbourne people wouldnt stop talking bout him

Dudge

Quote from: meow meow on September 07, 2011, 05:04:26 PM
For the first time this season, Champion Data is measuring the effect each ruckman, combination of midfielders, and combination of foursomes at centre bounces are having.

The stats boffins have been blown away by Naitanui's effect since round 19.

In that five-match block, Naitanui has contested 84 centre bounces. Of those, the Eagles have won 53 clearances, lost 22 and nine times there has been a secondary stoppage.

Naitanui's clearance differential of +31 blows his good mate Cox, favourite for No.1 All-Australian ruckman selection, out of the water.

In the same time, West Coast is -7 for clearances at centre bounces when Cox takes the ruck contest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I don't place too much importance on statitics, but those are some pretty impressive figures. I'm merely commenting on what I can see happening. Nic Nat doesn't need to even get a disposal to be effective in the contest. It's no coincidence that he starts in the ruck every week. He has improved so much this year, and overtaken Cox as the first choice ruck at the eagles. I'm not saying he is better, cos Cox is probably the best ruck i've seen play, and does so much around the ground. But Naitanui is better than most people realise.
Going to be a freak, i agree

Jugganauts

Quote from: bestguykai on September 06, 2011, 08:23:21 AM
Quote from: CFC 1979 on September 05, 2011, 11:05:03 PM
Quote from: Cam_Nash on September 05, 2011, 10:21:00 PM
Very True, Tuck dogged with injury is possibly a good buy next year

bet you he gets delisted

Heard a rumour that he may be about to re sign. No proof and I'm not sure if there is any substance to it either.
Dont quote me on this but i believe the is a 12-match clause in Shane Tucks contract that means if he doesn't play 12 games or more he gets delisted and with 10 games i think he will be delisted or trading

On to the bigger topic at hand one of the most underrated players in the AFL that no one has mentioned goes to a bloke from Hawthorn David Hale, Lets look at this year for example as soon as Jarryd Roughead went down with a knee injury during the year, Hale provided that 2nd key forward and kicks the odd bag but always vital to their structure as the Ruck/Forward type player also averaged 87 points in the last 11 games

pothead

Quote from: Jugganauts on September 07, 2011, 09:45:42 PM

bet you he gets delisted

Heard a rumour that he may be about to re sign. No proof and I'm not sure if there is any substance to it either.
Dont quote me on this but i believe the is a 12-match clause in Shane Tucks contract that means if he doesn't play 12 games or more he gets delisted and with 10 games i think he will be delisted or trading

On to the bigger topic at hand one of the most underrated players in the AFL that no one has mentioned goes to a bloke from Hawthorn David Hale, Lets look at this year for example as soon as Jarryd Roughead went down with a knee injury during the year, Hale provided that 2nd key forward and kicks the odd bag but always vital to their structure as the Ruck/Forward type player also averaged 87 points in the last 11 games
yea thats true hale is definately underrated another player is leigh adams, this guys is a great player for the kangas, 3rd in the B&F las year i think and is a great player for them

S_Coach99

Quote from: gpdemons on September 07, 2011, 01:04:33 AM
Nic Nat is close to the most overrated player in the competition, god I'm sick of hearing about his "freakish ability". Sure, he occasionally does the odd running goal or pack mark, but that's it, that's all he will do in the game and he gets so much credit for it. As soon as he starts being consistent and doesn't just do 2 or 3 good things per game I'll start calling him a good player. As bad as Jack Watts has been, I'd rather have him at the moment.

LOL.

You'd rather have a spud standing around in your forward line than an amazing athlete who taps beautifully to midfielders. If not himself, than break the line with his amazing pace. I'd rather have the freakish ability in growing pockets than never.

Jack Watts is a spud and you go for a spud team.

BGK

Quote from: Jugganauts on September 07, 2011, 09:45:42 PM

bet you he gets delisted

You are correct about that clause in his contract, but it's at the discretion of Richmond. Over the years the biggest worry with him has been his effective disposals, he has been the clanger king especially by foot. His effective stats in his 10 games this year have been his best and happen to be above the league average. I think he deserves another year at least.

John Ralph from Herald Sun also thinks he will gain another year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-real-story-behind-why-brendan-fevola-wont-be-back-at-carlton/story-fn6cisdj-1226131808708

mikevoice

these are just a few of my suggestions and yes i know some are chosen for AA honors but i still think they are not spoken about enough, and i dont believe nic nat is underrated as he is the only player besides goodes that we hear about in victoria from the interstate clubs so he does get noticed!!
1. Clinton Jones (best tagger in the game atm)
2. Scott Selwood (best tackler in the game)
3. Scott Thompson (only reason adelaide won some games)
4. nick dal santo (could be roughy for the brownlow)
5. Josh Gibson (brought his game to a new level this season)
6. Jack Redden and Rockliff (both are guns now and will be the next judd and cousins when they were at west coast)
7. Kieran Jack (injury season but is vital to sydney and will be there best player for years to come)
8. Brett Deledio (not as much talk with cotchin and martin but still richmonds best and is still an elite player)
9. Kade Simpson (goes unnoticed with the likes of judd,murphy and gibbs but is very important to carltons structure)
10. Jack Ziebell and James Kelly (they go in hard everytime and put there bodies on the line for there team both had great seasons)

METHOD MAN