Main Menu

When are we going to catch a break

Started by AFEV, July 31, 2011, 05:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFEV

Cruiseon

You guys were very unlucky . . . again. I feel for Prismall especially as is there a chance that could be his last game? And yes you did put up a brave fight in the first half.

That said it was still a walloping and it was Collingwood v Essendon, not Collingwood v Gold Coast or Richmond so I'm not sure there should be satisifaction in such a big margin. We are lucky to be in the midst of a strong era but lets also not forget the Pies were without Dawes, Shaw, Wellingham, Thomas & Didak just to name a couple of B graders.

Watson will be huge next year if he can stay fit.

Cookie Monster

i think the margin would have been alot shorter if Prismall and Colyer didn't get injured.

We have bad records against rivals with ACL's

Watson - 2012 Brownlow Medallist??

LaHug

The injuries were awful and the result probably wouldn't have been as bad if it weren't for them. But you have to agree, this was a real eye-opener as to where Essendon are really at! With ladder predictor, I have them finishing 8th, but I don't think they're of finals quality yet. Fortunately, for the Bombers, there are only really 7 teams in the competition right now worthy of playing finals football.
In a few years, if you can avoid injuries, you may be a chance.
What's the age of your list like?

Boomz

Quote from: LaHug on August 01, 2011, 01:05:51 AM
The injuries were awful and the result probably wouldn't have been as bad if it weren't for them. But you have to agree, this was a real eye-opener as to where Essendon are really at! With ladder predictor, I have them finishing 8th, but I don't think they're of finals quality yet. Fortunately, for the Bombers, there are only really 7 teams in the competition right now worthy of playing finals football.

I disagree with that... We were well & truly in it for the first half when we were already down 2 players & then we got smashed in the 2nd half with both Zaha & Hardingham being forced to play injured... So I don't get how it shows where we are really at... Most likely we would still have lost but by no where near as much & on top of that we were already missing Hurley, Pears, Fletcher, Hooker, Hibberd, Hocking, Lonergan, NLM & Winders & Dempsey from early in the year... that's just players who would be in or close to our top 22. If we get anymore injuries next week Hird & Goodwin will be pulling on the boots.

Zarts

I'm with boomz- it looked like the bombers were in with a chance at first.

I wouldn't complain too much though- happens to every club now and again (aka, fremantle :P)

Boomz

Quote from: Zarts on August 01, 2011, 04:54:15 AM
I'm with boomz- it looked like the bombers were in with a chance at first.

I wouldn't complain too much though- happens to every club now and again (aka, fremantle :P)

The LTI's are the one's that are hurting the most  :( Winderlich might not have seemed to be playing amazing or anything but he was integral to our fwd set up... Dempsey was in great form before he went down too  >:( Nothing we can do though but get on with it and hopefully find some good youngsters because of it  ;D

bomberboy0618

I am still really mad as we were playing well :(
Now everyone is going to play cloke like Ryder did, and possibly ryder might be playing down there more often?
But how does 4 injuries reflect where we are at, I challenge you cruise to see what happens when there are 4 collingwood players injured on the one day. You would fade away too, as you had no injuries today so had the luxury of using your sub when you wanted. Ours was activated in the first 5 minutes.

Cruiseon

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on August 01, 2011, 05:56:04 AM
I am still really mad as we were playing well :(
Now everyone is going to play cloke like Ryder did, and possibly ryder might be playing down there more often?
But how does 4 injuries reflect where we are at, I challenge you cruise to see what happens when there are 4 collingwood players injured on the one day. You would fade away too, as you had no injuries today so had the luxury of using your sub when you wanted. Ours was activated in the first 5 minutes.

4 injuries will hurt anyone on any given day the Pies included - the sub rule aims to assist with 1 inury which obviously isn't enough.

Personally I still thought at qtr time the Pies would win but I guess we'll never know the real impact. But in the end we did win, we remain top and our main objective is to get our list in shape for the finals. Essendon are trying to scrap together a team with many injuries and as I said 2012 will be an interesting year of development (and pressure). I still think you are 1 or 2 top line midfielders down (to join Watson) to edge into the top 4 or 5 next year. 

ossie85

Agree with Cruise.

Essendon really only dominated Collingwood for about 5 minutes in the first quarter. The rest of the first half was Essendon holding the Pies at bay, and taking oppurtunities (so many 50m+ goals!!), which no doubt they did well.

But like Cruise said, at quarter time, I still felt the Pies would win.

LaHug

Alright, I admit it was a tad far to say that it's a real reflection of where you are really at, but most of the scoring against Collingwood was when they were playing really flat at the very start of the game and then some very flukey long-range goals! I just feel that Essendon supporters are overrating where the team is at this stage and I don't consider them near as good as the teams that are sure to make finals. I thought the 74 point thumping was a bit harsh (however, it's what Collingwood do - Richmond was keeping up with them until the 4th quarter earlier this year), but I don't believe there was ever a real chance that the Bombers would beat the Pies.

AFEV

Quote from: LaHug on August 01, 2011, 04:19:05 PM
Alright, I admit it was a tad far to say that it's a real reflection of where you are really at, but most of the scoring against Collingwood was when they were playing really flat at the very start of the game and then some very flukey long-range goals! I just feel that Essendon supporters are overrating where the team is at this stage and I don't consider them near as good as the teams that are sure to make finals. I thought the 74 point thumping was a bit harsh (however, it's what Collingwood do - Richmond was keeping up with them until the 4th quarter earlier this year), but I don't believe there was ever a real chance that the Bombers would beat the Pies.
Any team would struggle without a dozen of tis best 22.
Very harsh to judge where we are at from this game IMHO.

roo boys!

Quote from: BOOMZ on August 01, 2011, 03:54:31 AM

I disagree with that... We were well & truly in it for the first half when we were already down 2 players & then we got smashed in the 2nd half with both Zaha & Hardingham being forced to play injured... So I don't get how it shows where we are really at... Most likely we would still have lost but by no where near as much & on top of that we were already missing Hurley, Pears, Fletcher, Hooker, Hibberd, Hocking, Lonergan, NLM & Winders & Dempsey from early in the year... that's just players who would be in or close to our top 22. If we get anymore injuries next week Hird & Goodwin will be pulling on the boots.
Surely that can't be a bad thing? ;)

When North played the Pies then THAT was a reflection of where we are at. I think that it is blatantly obvious that Essendon are not at the same level as Collingwood, yet.

bomberboy0618

We want goodwin to play, at least I do :D

Maca24

Quote from: roo boys! on August 01, 2011, 05:19:03 PM
Quote from: BOOMZ on August 01, 2011, 03:54:31 AM

Surely that can't be a bad thing? ;)

When North played the Pies then THAT was a reflection of where we are at. I think that it is blatantly obvious that Essendon are not at the same level as Collingwood, yet.
ANZAC Day we nearly showed them up  :-X