Andrew Walker All-Australian? I think not.

Started by ossie85, July 07, 2011, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

SJ kicked 3 against Carlton in their closest game of the year (and was 2nd best on ground) kicked 2 against the Bulldogs (rd 11) and was BOG, 2 against the Hawks (5 point win in round 12) and was in the best, & kicked another 3 against the Bombers when they lost. 

And if Collingwood are the bench mark here was the report from the AFL website that night

Toyota AFL Dream Team highlight
Geelong: Steve Johnson played an excellent game, picking up 25 disposals, eight marks, nine tackles and a goal for 127 Dream Team points - the most on the ground.

Given this and his good record in finals, I think it's fair to say he plays pretty well in big games unlike some of the others mentioned.

ossie85

Must admit, I don't really respect forward pocket as a permanent position. Is just where you put midfielders until they develop like Cousins and Gaj.

Cruiseon

Maybe the era has long departed but Peter Daicos?

Nails

Do you really have to play well against the best team to be AA?

Surely the entire Carlton side on average play worse in a loss (against the top sides) than when they play against the bottom sides. You have to consider how a player has played for the entire season, not just against the "best" sides...

If you wanted only players that played well against "good" sides... i.e. Hawks/Collingwood/Cats

Then there'd be no forwards/backs from any side other than the best 3 simply because those 3 sides (not so much Hawks to the same extent) SMASH the opposition making the forwards/backs play "poorly" against the top sides... therefore all sides outside the top 3 have their backs/forwards play poorly... The fact Walker got a possession against the pies is quality :(

PowerBug

+1. Think about the players that get chosen from low clubs on the ladder. James Frawley for example. Last season Melbourne finished 11-12th (short memory) but because Frawley had like 0 goals kicked on him, AA deserves to be his.

Tankers

Stevie j is the biggest front runner in the afl

kingkingston

Quote from: ossie85 on July 07, 2011, 04:22:16 PM

Ok. First of all, Andrew Walker has had a great year, and it is not my intent to bag him.

But I can not believe how many people have him pegged as an All-Australian this year. He has not proven himself against the top teams. And is not up to that standard.

Some stats.....

SC Average: 88.64
Goals per game: 2.57

Not bad for a small-ish forward.

Oh.. .but wait....

Against Top 8 Sides
SC Average: 69.17
Goals per game: 1.00

Against Bottom 9 Sides
SC Average: 103.25
Goals per game: 3.75

That is far too big a difference. Yes, all players better against worse teams. But not by that much.

In the 4 games Carlton haven't won, he has averaged 59.50 SC, at 0.50 goals per game. Take away the Geelong match, and it goes down to 44.67 and no goals scored. So I will give him credit for the Geelong match! 20 goals in his 4 matches against the current bottom 4 sides have inflated his worth.

And Steven Milne's record now please........

ossie85

Personally think Stevie J was robbed, not a fan of Milne either

kingkingston

Quote from: ossie85 on October 27, 2011, 06:11:26 AM

Personally think Stevie J was robbed, not a fan of Milne either
I think Milne got about 17-20 goals against top 8 teams