Main Menu

Strategy on trades

Started by -Hector-, July 01, 2011, 05:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Hector-

Dudes and dudettes.

Long time reader, second year DTer, first time poster - would appreciate some advice.

Team as it stands ($74,000 bank)

Backs: Gibbs, Deledio, Goddard, Birchall,  Duffield, Broughton, Lower (Puopolo, Otten, Jacobs)
Mids: Boyd, Thompson (S), Ablett, Hodge, Montagna, Swan (Shuey, Prestia, Andreoli)
Rucks: Cox, Smith, Sandilands, Bailey
Forwards: O'Keefe, Sylvia, Pavlich, NReiwoldt, Krakouer, Mzungu, Dahlhaus (Rioli, T Lynch, Richardson)

As you may or may not have noticed, the only 2 players (and I hope I'm right in saying this) who have finals byes are Gibbs and Richo. This has been my strategy all year to conserve trades, I've avoided the likes of Murphy, Scotland etc who are obviously real assets, but also liabilities come finals time.

Now the ultimate question, and the point to posting, is that I currently have 6 trades left, and 2 possible trades for this week. I was going to burn 2 again, leaving me with only 4, and then possibly use another 2 in the leadup to finals.

The trades I'm looking at doing is Krakouer to Callinan as a downgrade, then upgrade Otten/Puopolo to Fisher.

Then in the coming weeks, another downgrade, and then upgrade Lynch/Prestia/Mzungu to Franklin or another gun forward, obviously after Hawthorns bye. This would leave me with 2 (yes, 2!) trades for finals.

However! I think I have enough cover to at least cover Gibbs in his final, and possibly (cross fingers for no more than 1 injury) enough trades to swap Gibbs for a gun defender during his bye (and obviosuly leave him out for the Bombers in grandy). I'm currently sitting just inside the 8 in my main league, only interested in league, and need to keep winning. I'm not playing an outstanding side this week (I think that's important to note).

Anyway, too long already, so apologies for having to read so much, and let me know if you think this strategy is too risky.

luke_dicko

im in much the same boat with 5 trades left and needing another premium back (fisher) but as tempting as it is i think it would be safer to trade fisher in just in time for finals knowing that you havent lost any other premium backs between now and then

-Hector-

Very true - thanks for the response, that has put it all in to perspective.

Why trade in Callinan for Otten now, when I could wait another week until he's 'on the bubble', that way reducing the risk of being stuck with an injured player.

Aside from that, what do you think of the team? Pretty solid, if I don't say so myself, without being outstanding.

Definitely need another premium in both backs and forwards though. Also got a fair bit of flexibility for MPP as well.

-Hector-

Whoops Callinan for Krakouer I meant.

fidou

Sandilands to a 80K ruckman who wont play will give you 300K.

Krakour to Le Cras (his finals are against easy teams) Cost 100k
Rioli to Fyfe Cost 40K
Lynch to Goodes Cost 150K.

The backs and midfield are pretty good pump up your forwards.

= 4 trades and watch the points come in

Spinking

Good example here of why not to push the button too early. Callinan is now injured so although he would have freed up some cash, it would have put more pressure on your forwards.

Backs look ok. You obviously want another prem if possible but if you are after league win only, I'd wait until the finals to see who is in form, who is fit etc.

Mids are good, could free up some cash with Shuey to a playing rookie if you see someone good between now and finals

Rucks are solid if you think Sandi will be back. Consider Lobbe as a downgrade for Smith / Sandi this week

Forwards are weak until Rioli is back but I imagine he'll be up and about for finals.  Once again hold off on the upgrade until you get to finals - Franklin still injured, and although other options are out there, nothing hurts more than making the trade, then hearing your new star is out injured.... Keep an eye out for any good rookies in fwds and look to downgrade Krak, Mzungu, Richo

Hope that helps!