going for high overall ranking or league win

Started by elxam, April 21, 2010, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my.tbt

How does the strategy differ between overall ranking and league win?

Justin Bieber

Quote from: elxam on April 21, 2010, 11:24:15 PM
going with what people say about you hellopplz you are WAY too modest
Thanks but seriously, I suck when coming down to the game ;D. 42k ranking not as good as everyone think. I'll bolt to top 20k by round 11 or 12 then climb up from there ;). If you want i'll post my team is the rate my team section so people can critisize it ;D

@ my.tbt Overall means you have to use trades early to set your team up for the year and try to keep up in the top couple of thousands. League win means you have to use a few trades during the season, just enough to make you get intothe top 8. You should keep about 4 - 8 trades for finals which you use 1 or 2 a week to sprint past your opponent to the end.

my.tbt

Thanks Hellopplz. Appreciate the info.

What about using up your cash cows mid season though? Does this principle still apply? or do you just hold on to them for a while longer then you would if playing for overall ranking?

Justin Bieber

Quote from: my.tbt on April 22, 2010, 06:47:52 AM
Thanks Hellopplz. Appreciate the info.

What about using up your cash cows mid season though? Does this principle still apply? or do you just hold on to them for a while longer then you would if playing for overall ranking?
Yes, But if you want to go for league win, need to put aside about 4 trades or so. Use your other trades to upgrade/downgrade so your team is in the best position heading into league finals. If you are playing for overall ranking, try to cash in your cows as soon as possible, to get premiums in scoring more. The more you score, the higher your ranking.

elxam

you're hearing the pro talking there my.tbt

hellopplz: I have a friend who, 8 years ago, started doing his first footy tipping. He did not know anything about footy. In fact, he hated it.
To help him with the tips he used all the expert tipsters tips online (herald sun, the age, the west ausie, ...) and their past averages to work out his own tips, esp for those close ones where the odds were 1.89 v 1.90, etc ...

Needless to say, he won 4 out of the next 5 years, and came second in the other. The year he came second he asked me to put in the tips for him as he was on leave for 2 months. DOH!

Now, the moral of the story is H: the people with passion about the game have too much going for them that winning is not much of an issue but trying to prove yourself right with your own judgment is.

Being passionate about something can bring a degree of subjectivity to what we do, and hence the glory of winning, sometimes, but to not have the passion at all is not really worth the commitment, is it ?

There is a difference between winning and having some fun winning.

Justin Bieber

I'm flattered to be considered a Pro ;D.

Yeah, its all about the fun of the game. I really like it when all my picks start firing and others get let down. Worked wonders for me last year when Ablett and the saints were rested. Those were my golden 2 weeks.

Flame

I still think going for a high rating should be the main goal, cause you'll beat your mates in the process with smart, considered trades.

elxam

MissPiesFF

I really do not care to be honest, I just love the DT for what it is. and it makes games that your team isn't playing in more interesting to watch(not that they were not interesting in the first place). The only downside OMFG! Is when your own team is playing and you have like 4 players in the opposition to score from LOL. Makes my head go in a spin :) ::) ::) ::) ::)

elxam

agreed misspies.

the very reason i had seaby all preseason and changed to nic nat in the last minute ... just wanted to follow the boy. what an entertainment package

it has turned out ok with him doing relatively better than seaby so far