WXV Rule Discussion 2023

Started by Purple 77, August 10, 2023, 06:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

To treat AFL starting the subs in a very similar way to how we treat AFL subbed out players.

At the moment if a starting 22 player is red vested at or before half time then they are considered to be subbed out for WXV purposes. I propose that whenever the rest vest player is considered a 'sub out', the green vest player is considered live. So this means that if the sub is made on or before half time then the AFL green vest player will have their score counted the same way that any other named player would.

This does a few things:
- Teams can't 'rest' a green vest player most of the time, it won't trigger unless that player subs on to the field early.
- Teams will be more cautious about naming emergencies on the field hoping for a late in, knowing that they get a free pass if that player is a starting sub. That player could now hit the park and score 30 in a half.

I know there was a comment in discord about how we treat the subs that occur bang on half time. I proposed it in this way because it is very simply: When the red vest counts, the green vest won't. And when the red vest doesn't count, the green vest will. Every match, exactly one of the two players involved in the AFL sub will have their WXV score considered. There's no overlap where both count and there's no gap where neither count.
Just your average footy nuffie.
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Purple 77

As I foreshadowed in my first post - and similar to what Holz suggested earlier - I propose that (after we scrap Small/Flood/Attack), we re-introduce a modified Flood/Attack.

Flood

In its current implementation, Flood allows you to name 1 extra defender and 1 less forward, and that's that beginning and end of it. However, if an AFL team did that, there is certainly larger implications:
- Defenders (statistically) perform better; and
- Forwards (statistically) perform worse.

The impact of this is not isolated to 1 or 2 players, but the entire lines. Thus, I propose that in a Flood, each defender's score is boosted by 9%, and each forward is reduced by 15%. If all players scored exactly the same, this means there is NO OVERALL DIFFERENCE in scoring, at all.

But, if you had a stronger defence than your forward line... you'd get some extra points.

Let's apply this to a game.

Round 1 - London v Tokyo

This was the scorecard for the game, with both teams electing to do a traditional team submission.

London RoyalsTokyo Samurai
POSTraditionalSCOPENADJ                   POSTraditionalSCOPENADJ
D1John Noble105105D1Jordan Ridley107107
D2Keidean Coleman6969D2Daniel Rioli126126
D3Sam Darcy2828D3Ben Long5757
D4Adam Saad115115D4Oliver Florent8585
M1Touk Miller113113M1Tom Liberatore118118
M2Taylor Adams6868M2Will Ashcroft5555
M3Willem Drew8080M3Lachie Whitfield4040
M4Justin McInerney7171M4Jacob Hopper6767
R1Timothy English134134R1Peter Ladhams7272
F1Jack Higgins4444F1Josh Dunkley108108
F2Jamie Cripps5555F2Charlie Cameron2323
F3Rory Lobb3434F3Liam Ryan9191
F4Charlie Spargo8181F4Alwyn Davey Jr5858
U1 (MID FWD)Liam Shiels5656U1 (DEF MID)Ethan Hughes6565
U2 (MID)Jack Bytel7171U2 (DEF)Harry Cunningham6565
E1 (DEF)Darcy Wilmot51DNP0E1 (FWD)Bobby Hill77DNP0
E2 (MID)Marlion Pickett43DNP0E2 (DEF)Jarman Impey86DNP0
E3 (FWD)Luke Pedlar83DNP0E3 (MID)Jarrod Berry43DNP0
E4 (DEF)Lachie Young0DNP0E4 (DEF)Brandon Zerk-Thatcher100DNP0
CTouk Miller113113CJosh Dunkley108108
VCTaylor Adams680VCTom Liberatore1180
NR0NR0
HASam Darcy2828
Total:126515Total:124515

What if Tokyo opted to FLOOD instead? Then the scorecard would adjust to:

London RoyalsTokyo Samurai
POSTraditionalSCOPENADJ                   POSFloodSCOPENADJ
D1John Noble105105D1Jordan Ridley1071.09117
D2Keidean Coleman6969D2Daniel Rioli1261.09138
D3Sam Darcy2828D3Ben Long571.0963
D4Adam Saad115115D4Oliver Florent851.0993
M1Touk Miller113113D5Ethan Hughes651.0971
M2Taylor Adams6868M1Tom Liberatore118118
M3Willem Drew8080M2Will Ashcroft5555
M4Justin McInerney7171M3Lachie Whitfield4040
R1Timothy English134134M4Jacob Hopper6767
F1Jack Higgins4444R1Peter Ladhams7272
F2Jamie Cripps5555F1Josh Dunkley1080.8592
F3Rory Lobb3434F2Charlie Cameron230.8520
F4Charlie Spargo8181F3Liam Ryan910.8578
U1 (MID FWD)Liam Shiels5656U1 (MID FWD)Alwyn Davey Jr5858
U2 (MID)Jack Bytel7171U2 (DEF)Harry Cunningham6565
E1 (DEF)Darcy Wilmot51DNP0E1 (FWD)Bobby Hill77DNP0
E2 (MID)Marlion Pickett43DNP0E2 (DEF)Jarman Impey86DNP0
E3 (FWD)Luke Pedlar83DNP0E3 (MID)Jarrod Berry43DNP0
E4 (DEF)Lachie Young0DNP0E4 (DEF)Brandon Zerk-Thatcher100DNP0
CTouk Miller113113CJosh Dunkley108108
VCTaylor Adams680VCTom Liberatore1180
NR0NR0
HASam Darcy2828
Total:126515Total:125515

... Tokyo gain an EXTRA 10 points. They still lose! But those extra points could be the difference either in the game itself, or be the extra points needed to boost its % and make finals. More importantly, it adds a tactical element to the WXVs beyond what is really just a depth relief instrument (which, you could still use this for if you wanted).

Attacks would work EXACTLY the same, but forwards are boosted, and defenders reduced.

However, teams can CANCEL these boosts if they name opposing strategies. For example, London could opt to Attack, and all players' boosts/penalties would be negated.

For the niche scenarios:
- OOP players can be named, with the 50% penalty CAPTURING the boosted amount i.e. 1.09 multiplier reduces to 0.545. Similarly, 0.85 reduces to 0.425. This will be the only time a score modifier COMPOUNDS rather than adds.
- All other score modifiers e.g. RESTED bonus still only applies to the raw score i.e. boosted amount will be 1.29, and not 1.09 * 1.20

You can only Flood or Attack 5 times per year.

WXVs is ready for this - and adds an interesting tactical element to the game without fundamentally changing it. Lets do it!

PowerBug

May I ask how to came to 9% and 15% as the amounts?
Just your average footy nuffie.
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Purple 77

Modified Tagging

This year saw the first mechanism to impact upon another teams score via Tagging. I think the idea is AWESOME - but as we all quickly realised, the risk of getting it wrong offset the potential gain of getting it right.

It was used a total of 10 times, and I think successfully used about half of the time.

I casually noticed that teams' worst mid (and tagger candidate) would have an average of around 70. The trouble with 70 is that those mids can pull out a good score every now and then, and the tagee could easily just produce a meek ton or worse.

Well, that's the thing you often see in the AFL, isn't it? Some taggers can actually be quite offensive, and when they are, they tend to be more of a 'run-with' players who pick up the scraps of their target. The taggers who don't impact with the ball tend to do a better job of shutting down their target.

And 50% is a big penalty. Same as OOP - which in the AFL, a tagger certainly isn't OOP. They're playing a role.

I thus propose the following amendment to the rule
- A tagger penalty is 30%;
- A tagger can only be a mid, and can only tag a mid
- The taggee raw score is limited to the taggers raw (unadjusted) score (unless broken - see below)
- You can only tag 5 times per year
- A taggee can BREAK the tag if they score equal to or more than DOUBLE than tagger score
      - If the tag is broken, the taggers penalty is increased from 30% to 50%

Now, before you think that is too OP, please consider the following:
   - given the tagger still has their score REDUCED the only candidates for this are mids who typically average no more than mid 70s.
   - Other bonuses that may be applicable to the taggee are UNAFFECTED (e.g. captaincy)

Lets use an example, show casing both ends of the extreme.

1) Where it goes bad

I unsuccessfully used Daniel Howe (88 down to 44) as a tagger on Tim Kelly (90 to 67) earlier this year, for a net impact of -19 points to Berlin.

Under this amendment, Daniel Howe score is reduced from 88 down to 62, and Kelly is reduced from 90 to 88. A net impact of -24 points (so even worse!)

2) Where it goes well

NDT used Langdon (66 down to 33) to tag Sam Walsh (117 down to 82), for a net impact of +2 points to NDT (see, even when nailed, it was minimal benefit)

Under this amendment, Langdon score is reduced from 66 down to 47, and Walsh is CAPPED to 66! A net impact of +32 points - absolutely nailed, and thus maximum benefit should be achieved.

But if Walsh scored 132 (66 x 2), then the tag is broken (but still counts as 1 in your allowance of 5).

I'm bias, but I think this nails EVERYTHING we want to see in a tag rule - risk, pay-off, the ability to break it! Can you imagine it being late on a Sunday night, and your player needs to score 20 more points to break the tag and win you the game? We're so ready for this!

Purple 77

Quote from: PowerBug on August 13, 2023, 01:19:33 PM
May I ask how to came to 9% and 15% as the amounts?

5 lots of 9% = 45%

3 lots of 15% = 45%

I'm open to other figures - but IMO these were the cleanest combinations.

Purple 77

Training in another position

This suggestion comes with rucks front of mind, and the years-debate on how we offer ruck relief to teams where your main ruck has gone down with injury... or is unavailable.

Hearing the communities points about Flood/Attack offers relief to shortages of defenders and forwards, but nothing in the way of rucks, I propose the following:
- AFTER the drafts and 1st trade period and once all positions are known for the next year, you can nominate up to 2 players BEFORE CHRISTMAS to 'train' in another position
- This makes those 2 players eligible to play in that position with a 25% penalty instead of a 50% penalty.
- The players can train in any position, but if they train with the rucks, they must have averaged 1 hit-out per game or more in the year just passed (currently 85 players - see here for the current list)
- It must be done BEFORE Christmas in keeping with finalising lists prior to the season start
- You cannot trade these players in the 2nd trade period
- This provision only applies for 1 season only, where players are required to again 'train' in that position again

upthemaidens

Tactical Flood/Attack and Tagging should be unlimited, not just the five times.

Purple 77

Quote from: Pkbaldy on August 10, 2023, 08:02:03 AM
Lower the max salary cap.

FYI - more detail would need to be provided to give this legs.

Currently the max cap is +5% of the average cap value, and the min cap is -15%.

Purple 77

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 11, 2023, 08:26:19 PM
Coaches must make a minimum of 3-5 trades per season. To count as a trade each trade must contain a player who has played more than 10 AFL games in the season or first round draft picks.

Failure to reach minimum trades results in your next first round pick sliding by 5 places per the number of trades you failed to make. Only make 2 of the required 5 trades? Pick 1 is now pick 16.

Please clarify JB in terms of a fixed #of trades to be suggested, and if trading an eligible player IN or OUT counts.

Purple 77

... I swear someone suggested to merge the drafts. Whoever did, please do so here!

Koop

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 13, 2023, 08:28:21 PM
... I swear someone suggested to merge the drafts. Whoever did, please do so here!

Me. FF is a cow.

Urbaninfinnity

With everyone jabbering away about loopholing and ruck cover etc, I thought I'd make a suggestion - which may have already been thrown out in years past, but we ball.

Players having dual position status is a bonus for their coach, why not lean into that bonus more, rather than simply naming a midfielder in the forward line (which is boring)? In a proper AFL game a player capable of playing two positions (be it a ruck/forward or any other combination), is often moved into that second position as cover if the substitute is not a suitable replacement - makes sense right? Why not avoid this loopholing debate altogether by allowing DPP's to cover their second position regardless of where the coach has named them, to avoid an OOP emergency being forced to come in?

i.e. If Max Gawn gets injured and subsequently WXV subbed for Berlin, Luke Jackson would move from F1 to R1 to cover him (as he would have done when they were both at the Dees!), and then the necessary emergencies come on to cover the gap in the forward line etc.

Or alternatively, if Ned Reeves goes down for PNL and they have Darcy Cameron at F1 BUT Todd Goldstein at E4 for instance, Goldy comes in instead (probably for a trash score no less)

I think this plays into real life quote-on-quote "tactics" and rewards coaches with list flexibility (which is usually lucky dip by CD admittedly, but can also be the result of shrewd recruitment)

RaisyDaisy

WXV has always been 4 defenders, 4 mids, 1 ruck, 4 fwds and 2 utilities, and as such we should be building a list to accommodate that

I actually think Flood/Attack is just a get out of jail card for lack of depth

Get rid of Flood/Attack completely. Don't see any point having it in place for 5 times a year, and getting a % boost or reduction for doing so, when we can just stick to traditional format and like always if you can't field a D4/F4 etc then you cop 50% OOP

With the addition of the new "Train In" feature, this allows you to name 2 extra players to cover lines at a 25% loss instead of the normal 50% loss, so this feature as a fallback for lack of depth is more than enough, don't need flood attack too

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 13, 2023, 08:26:32 PM
Coaches must make a minimum of 3-5 trades per season. To count as a trade each trade must contain a player who has played more than 10 AFL games in the season or first round draft picks.

Failure to reach minimum trades results in your next first round pick sliding by 5 places per the number of trades you failed to make. Only make 2 of the required 5 trades? Pick 1 is now pick 16.

Please clarify JB in terms of a fixed #of trades to be suggested, and if trading an eligible player IN or OUT counts.

Ok lets go

Minimum 4 trades per off season
An eligible player or draft pick needs to be included in the trade  can be in or out  doesnt need to be both.
Eligible players has had a season of 10 games 60 average or better in any of the previous 3 seasons or was taken as a WXV first round pick over those 3 seasons.
Eligible draft picks  1st rounder and Future first rounders.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 15, 2023, 11:49:17 AM
Quote from: Purple 77 on August 13, 2023, 08:26:32 PM

Ok lets go

Minimum 4 trades per off season
An eligible player or draft pick needs to be included in the trade  can be in or out  doesnt need to be both.
Eligible players has had a season of 10 games 60 average or better in any of the previous 3 seasons or was taken as a WXV first round pick over those 3 seasons.
Eligible draft picks  1st rounder and Future first rounders.

Ok lets just make it 4 trades to be made with no restrictions or requirements