Arbel's Aces 2023

Started by arbel, February 15, 2023, 01:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbel

First attempt at team ... thoughts?

Backs: Sicily, Stewart, Yeo, Bowes, Ginbey, Wilmot ....... Weddle, Chesser
Mids: Laird, Miller, Macrae, Brayshaw, Hopper, Sheed, Ashcroft, Sinn ....... Phillips, Wagner, Drury
Rucks: English, Marshall ....... Madden
Fwds: Dunkley, Taranto, Cameron, Allen, Mclean, Van Rooyen ....... Phillipou, Davey

As always rookies are subject to selection etc.

Backs I'm not sold on Bowes. Will he get games, and if so will his scoring be good as the back line at Geelong is pretty settled.
Also not sure about taking 5 players from 2 teams in the one line.
Mids not starting Neale and not sure I'm happy about it. Also Hopper, haven't heard much about his role with Richmond???
Sheed will be fine other option is downgrade one of them to a rookie and upgrade other to a prem.
Rucks first time not having one of Gawn/Grundy in and feels wrong, but don't see how either could be dominant like they used too.
Happy with the fwds as long as Cameron is the main ruck and Allen gets good amount of ball. Eagles weren't great at big inside 50's last year

69.5k left over too ... Any thoughts?

Bully

Solid team, I think you've got the rucks covered well enough with Cameron, I'm probably going to wait on that call and will use in an emergency.

Ringo

Solid team to start.

Just remember Sinn is carrying an injury so may not start, Wagner injury as well but with being rookies can adjust.

With Lions still undecided on Wilmott v McKenna may be an idea to have cash to change.  I have named McKenna for this reason making an easy downgrade to Wilmott if named.

Good luck

arbel

Okay, done some playing around after scratch/practice matches and have now settled on:

Backs: Stewart, Docherty, Yeo, Jones, Ginbey, Wilmot ....... Weddle, Cincotta
Mids: Laird, Oliver, Macrae, Brayshaw, Hopper, Sheed, Ashcroft, MacKenzie ....... Phillips, Constable, Baker
Fwds: Dunkley, Rozee, Taranto, Sheezel, Mclean, Sturt ....... Greene, Davey

Rookies still to be locked once teams out. Think I have a good cover of them, Wilmot v McKenna still undecided.
Hopefully most other get selected, based off the matches think they will. Not sure on Sturt??
Also noticed that my mids don't have link with fwds? Don't know if its that critical? In past barely use it but can't see many
fwd/mid rookies to put in. Don't want to do it just for the sake of getting the link?

46.5k left so can do some corrections.

Mat0369

Personally not a fan of the Sheed pick, particularly in SC. I'd be inclined to turn Sheed and Yeo into a bargain basement rookie and bring in a premium on either line. You could field Phillips at M8 and grab someone like Sicily or Dawson for the left over cash. I think the structure would look a lot better with those two changes alone

arbel

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 09, 2023, 04:24:01 PM
Personally not a fan of the Sheed pick, particularly in SC. I'd be inclined to turn Sheed and Yeo into a bargain basement rookie and bring in a premium on either line. You could field Phillips at M8 and grab someone like Sicily or Dawson for the left over cash. I think the structure would look a lot better with those two changes alone

Yeah I'm likely to turn one of Hopper or Sheed into Callaghan, then do some other upgrades. Don't know which though.
Hopper had been averaging 90's before last year.
Sheed high 80's to 90's before injury. Luckily both same price so whichever makes more can correct trade.
I think Yeo is a must have at that price.
Before the last 3 injury years he had been averaging 110. All reports he's over them. So as a defender I think is a must have.

Thanks for feedback. Lots to take on this year

Ringo

As we say toss of the coin whether to have 2 premo defs v 4 stacked forward premos.  Nice team Could go Sheed down to Callaghan if you need extra cash

arbel

Like most the Yeo injury has caused yet more trade pain and right on the eve of starting.
This is now the team line up:

Backs: Stewart, Docherty, McGrath, Jones, Ginbey, Wilmot ....... Constable, Cowan
Mids: Laird, Macrae, Petracca or Miller (haven't decided), Brayshaw, Sheed, Callaghan, Ashcroft, MacKenzie ....... Phillips, Baker, Chesser
Fwds: Dunkley, Rozee, Taranto, Sheezel, Mclean, Sturt ....... Greene, Davey

I'll keep this til teams announced.
Not 100% on Mclean but should have good job security. Can turn him or Baker (if not named) into Phillipou.
Have 66k left. If rookies are named then Petracca will probably become Miller and leave 22k.

Mat0369

Not sure about the McGrath pick. I think I'd rather go down to the Rookie and use the cash to upgrade elsewhere.

It looks like you made the right decision not picking Hopper based on R1 so far. You also have flexibility with a few mid price options around the same price as Sheed if he flops.

Forward line needs a re-work with McLean out and Sturt on an extended bench. Phillips the other rookie that looks to be problematic and I'd say he is the sub for round 1.

I'd maybe look at Phillips to a potential F8 using Davey into the mids, bring in McKenna for McGrath and see if you can get one more premium forward in for Sturt. The structure will look a lot more versatile while essentially moving players that aren't playing in for players that are and sorting out the weak spots.

arbel

Geez tough year, all the premo's struggling with massive breakevens.
Mid pricers going nuts. Tough choices (also tipping sucks  :o)

Current team is:

Backs: Daicos, Docherty, McGrath, McKenna, Ginbey, Wilmot ....... Constable, Cowan
Mids: Laird, Macrae, Petracca , Brayshaw, Sheed, Callaghan, Ashcroft, MacKenzie ....... Hollands, Baker, Chesser
Fwds: Dunkley, Rozee, Taranto, Sheezel, Pedlar, Phillipou ....... Greene, Davey

Round 2 was okay scored 2192 thanks to C Laird.
I'm not happy with Macrae role at the moment. Seems to be more half forward flank and isn't attending as many centre bounces.

So thinking Macrae, Chesser and Greene to Ziebell, Chandler and either LDU or Setterfield. (looping Davey to mid)
Difference being either leaving 32k with LDU or 240k with Setterfield.

I have other fringe players like mcgrath and petracca.
Mcgrath showed just enough to give another week but if he underperforms can put him down to Bowes and Petracca I'm sure will get better.

Thoughts?

Bully

LDU & Setters both likely breakout contenders, right age & ripe for consistent output. I like both but Setters the safest bet given he's also a cash cow.

Ringo

Hard one and basic question for you is what will I do with the $340k over the next rounds,  Will it improve teams etc.  Setterfield has a negative B/E and predicted to go up 62k with a core of 89.  LDU has started strong and the question is can he keep it up.
Personally would go Setters and use the extra cash to to turn fringe players into prems.

Mat0369

I agree in that Macrae needs to go in his current role. His impact at stoppages has dropped drastically with him rotating at half forward. The one reason to maybe keep him is if he does gain DPP you will likely trade him back in down the track but at a far cheaper price tag.

I'm leaning towards LDU for myself, but Setters will give you the quick cash gen. It depends on need, structure and total points. Looking at your team I think Ziebell is a must. It pushes one of Philippou/Pedlar to the bench and I don't think you want to field both.

I think you've hit on the Sheed pick so far which gives you a mid price mid that should make decent coin if he keeps up the 90ish average. I think you could use the lock and load mid keeper and LDU looks like he could be that.

One other suggestion I have is you maybe bring in Darcy Cameron? It gives you ruck coverage, a decent chunk of change for trades next week and I think gives you a better mix of rookies on field. It allows you to play Sheezel at D6 and then 2 of Phillipou, Mackenzie and Hollands at M7/M8. I think I still prefer LDU of all the options, but Cameron can make you stronger along 3 lines if needed.

arbel

My backline is getting decimated this year and need help.

Team of right now with 31.5k left is:

Backs: Daicos, Lloyd, Day, McKenna, Ginbey, Wilmot ....... Constable, Cowan
Mids: Laird, LDU, Petracca , Brayshaw, Green, Ashcroft, Phiilips, MacKenzie ....... Hollands, Phillipou, Baker
Fwds: Dunkley, Rozee, Taranto, Ziebell, Sheezel, Pedlar  ....... Chandler, Davey

Have already traded out Docherty and went with Lloyd this week, so 2 trades left.

So Day is now out for 2 weeks, need to trade him (don't want to but being a 'premo' spot needs to go)
Constable needs to go as he can't get a game in this team, but he might be sub and even if only plays a small amount of games would make some cash. Plus can use as floating donut
Ginbey could be a 'late' out, he's been named but on the off chance it changes late I need coverage.
Sheezel and Ziebell likely both get DPP in coming weeks so can move them to backline once trade out rookies.

So thinking the following:

Phillipou out and bring in Van Rooyen
Then Day to one of Ryan/Stewart/Sicily or even thinking Duncan? Plays that mid/wing role and has a good ceiling for only 486k?
If I bring in Clarke insteard of Van R then it'll have to be Duncan

Thoughts???

Mat0369

I really liked the Lloyd trade, it is one I thought of making as well but ended up going with Stewart. He looks to be in the top end of defenders again.

Of the options you listed I would have brought in Stewart although all 3 look like they will be good picks. Ryan is the one I trust the least of that trio.