2022 Forwards

Started by enzedder, January 05, 2022, 01:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enzedder

There’s very few premiums that are likely to average 100 plus.
Dunkley at $558k looms as the standout and one who could easily go 120 every week. In a team that features arguably the #1 SC player in Macrae, and arguably the best player in the league in Bontempelli, and Bailey Smith, and Treloar, and Libba it is debatable about his role but regardless he will score well enough to be one of the best forwards, if not the best forward.
It is too risky not to start him. If he comes out firing as he's done in the past you will be behind the pack and require a trade and means to get him.

Duncan is a genuine premo. His  season averages since 2017 have been 110, 106, 103, 104 and last year’s 99 which was down after scoring 10 after being injured after only 7 minutes playing time in R14 v WB. At 540k he is priced well.

Taranto at 530k looks a top 6 forward and should do well enough to stay in teams throughout the year. He will likely have games or patches that see his scores fall in that 80 range and his price will dip and rise as roller coasters do.
He’s a safe pick but won’t be priced out of reach for those who don’t start him and may be cheaper to get later as an upgrade target. Still he’s a nice forward option in 2022.

Dusty is a forward again in 2022. Lots will want him but he’s a pass for me. He’s a slow starter, after R1 v Carl anyway, and he’s dropped off from the dizzying heights of past years. Not to say he can’t or won’t get there again but I see him as an 85-90 type and would rather the above players.

Butters will be in my starting lineup. At 443k I think he is a steal. He is primed for a big 2022 training as a midfielder and on the back of some great scoring in super fast time he has proven his SC worthiness.

Marshall doesn’t have ruck status but has proven he can score well when given the #1 ruck role. Ryder remains detrimental to this and at 530k Marshall could be gold but it could also prove to be Fool’s gold. The risk is real, compounded by his ankle stress injury that can linger and return he may be better to have on one’s watch list.

Tarryn Thomas averaged 84 last year and may be one on the rise. His scores were a little inconsistent in 2021 but he showed he can be a SC scorer. He might be one to start… certainly one to consider.

DeGoey is  priced at $458k. He showed that as a mid he’s too good not to have regardless of his personal attributes but we will have to see how his situation unfolds. If he’s free to play he’s a lock. If he’s not, he’s not.

Heeney is a gun. He’s affordable but if he’s played as a forward which is likely he’s just another 80-90 option. The way he throws himself around in packs and pulls up sore gives his owners heart failure as well. Not for me…but if he starts with back to back hundreds in R1&2 everyone will be asking the question.

Coniglio at $261,300 screams pick me and rightfully so. His SC career season averages since debuting in 2012 are: 76, 74, 84, 91, 106, 91, 108, 101, 98, and last year’s Annus Horribilis 60.
Everyone should start him… looks likely he’ll make coin if nothing else. He does play for GWS so buyer beware.

Gresham at 299k looms as another cheap forward pick. He can score well if he is played as a mid. I’m not sold on the pick but see it’s potential. It’s an awkward price and may backfire if he plays 50/50 mid/fwd with say Billings or Higgins. He’s a preseason watch but depending on forward rookie options he may be the last one in or out.

Peter

Excellent summary - add Rayner and Brodie

RaisyDaisy

Duncan priced at 99avg is an absolute lock

Conigs and Gresh are too

Curnow at 210k will start in a lot of sides too

Peter

Not so sure on Gresham, small forward or playing
Midfield?

don200652

Agree with all the above analysis
However I'm worried about the Covid carnage and the probable need for max flexibilty
Who knows what rules will be put in place? - Could it be best 18 at some point?
To that end I'm considering trying to fit English into the forward line with Comben R/F at R3

Mat0369

Quote from: Peter on January 05, 2022, 06:18:17 PM
Not so sure on Gresham, small forward or playing
Midfield?

Apparently training with the forwards.

Mat0369

I'm thinking Dunkley and Duncan at F1 and F2 followed by a mid price brigade at F3-F5. Rayner, Curnow and Cogs are probably the locks at these potions.

Other guys I like are Butters, Thomas and Taranto. I think I'd hold off on Taranto as the other two top dollar guys I feel can be better scorers. Especially with the uncertainty around the Giants midfield make up. Thomas if he plays as a mid should be at the top end of all scorers in the forward line. Butters started last year on fire before injury derailed his season.