WXV Round 1: 10 of the very best

Started by Purple 77, March 14, 2021, 09:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Happy season #10 everyone! If WXV is anything like the Simpsons (and I've committed plenty in that effort), we have at least 1 more classic year ahead of us  ;D

Last year - a year like no other - saw the Seoul Magpies win pretty much everything! Not only were they the first ever team to win the minor premiership AND the flag, they also took out the Idol and... our hearts.

As a long time admirer, my WXVs tipping had never been so right.

But, putting the year of 'rona behind us, we have all our fingers & toes crossed that we'll return to a normal fixture this year, and with it an end to those brutal simultaneous rounds and fluid fixtures.

I sincerely can't wait!

Thursday night PARTIAL LOCKOUT at 7.25pm AEDST

Friday night FULL LOCKOUT at 7.50pm AEDST

FEATURES TO GET USED TO:
- AFL teams will now be released at 6:25pm of the night before for the following day’s games
- As such, 8 emergencies will be permitted.
- You don't have to name 8 emergencies. However, if you don't (courtesy of a new rule voted on last year):
    - I won't be finding replacements for you :D and you won't be eligible for the 'late inclusion' luxury (where players outside of your named squad come in at 25% of their score). I can't wait until someone learns the hard way!
    - If you do name a full squad of 23 however, and make a mistake in your submission, I will continue to correct these using your list preferences as a guide.
- You are now permitted to indicate whether you'll flood/attack both before and AFTER the partial lockout.
- However, you must still indicate who you will be resting BEFORE the partial lockout.

Round 1, AFL Round 1

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Cape Town CobrasSeoul MagpiesNewlands Cricket Ground4  v  6
Beijing PandasPacific IslandersBeijing Olympic Park3  v  8
Dublin DestroyersPNL ReindeersCrooke Park, EurAsia, Europe8  v  3
Toronto WolvesCairo SandsRogers Centre, AAP Alliance5  v  5
Berlin BrewersMexico City SunsBerlin Olympic Stadium4  v  6
London RoyalsRio de Janeiro JaguarsLondon Olympic Stadium2  v  4
Buenos Aires ArmadillosNew York RevolutionNeutral, Manuka Oval, AAP Alliance, Americas3  v  6
Moscow SpetsnazNew Delhi TigersLuzhniki Stadium, EurAsia7  v  3
Tokyo SamuraiChristchurch SaintsTokyo Olympic Stadium1  v  5

2020 was another leap forward under GL for the Cobras, whom have come a significant way since the spoon of 2018. Finishing top 4 and making a prelim final is a serious achievement - one that the Cobras hadn't made since the inaugural 2012 season! The Cobras are gearing up to another one better in 2021, with an enviable depth of players young and old. They come up against the reigning premiers this week, and they're looking like a n axe-wielding, short-cut Chris Hemsworth at the moment. I think the scariest thing about Seoul is their age profile! Normally when a team takes out the Idol, minor premiership AND flag, their getting on a bit. But with the likes of Rowell, Jackson, Oliver and a host of good young potential... one begins to think when this Seoul machine will stop! So I'll open the year with my obligatory Seoul tip. And yes - let's call this one my MATCH OF THE ROUND!

New year, new Beijing. 2020 was the last of the well-mannered and impressive Toga. He transformed the Bears to the Thunder, and with it a new identity as a WXV powerhouse. But, one that couldn't get past the prelims. In 2021, Beijing is again transformed, this time under Urbs and the Pandas. Although he may have been overly keen in the trade period, he has added his own flavour to the squad that still boasts the ominous Neale-Grundy duo. Is this the year of the Panda? Although the preseason cup will go in the trophy cabinet, it wouldn't fill the hole that comes with being 'runner-up' in 2020. The Islanders have a very consistent list but its forward line was its demise in 2020. I'm sure the Islanders will be amongst it again, but I'll be interested to see if the forward line lifts this year. Beijing for me.

It was a funny ol year for Dublin in 2020. They're a bit like Melbourne (well, minus all that success). They followed up a shocking 2019 with a middling 2020, demonstrating some ebbs and flows that aren't too synonymous with the Dublin brand, so it'll be interesting to see if they steady the ship this year, with a very impressive list... on paper. The Reindeers went to work addressing their rucks over the off-season, and whilst not completing any one set, they SHOULD get more representation there and with it, some improvement on an impressive 2020. PNL certainly have the compliment to do it, but I'll back Dublin for now.

The Wolves underachieved in 2020. It was a bit of a head scratcher really, as many of their players had unexpected and fluctuating form lines. But, if those players find stability, so too will the Wolves and the dominant days of 2018-2019 will return. To Cairo... I find myself pausing, looking down, smiling and with a slight shake of head, declare "I don't know what they'll do". I'm sure top 8 is the aim, but whether they make it their game, we'll just have to wait and see. Toronto for this one.

Um, I think I improved my list? I think I improved the depth... kinda. Well not really. I retired a few, and I hope without too much damage to my prospects, but in any case, I'm certainly banking on some natural improvement within the team, and coupled with Gawn and... Cripps, I suppose, I like to think I'll be amongst it. The Suns are a real smoky for 2021s biggest improver I think. They have a lot of players whom could take that next step, and if they do, Mexico City will skyrocket. I hope I win this game. Heck, I'll put my season on it.

London took serious strides in 2020 - making the 8 for the first time in a long time - and they'll be looking to repeat that feat from banking on improvement from its 2020 players. Tim English could be the one that could get them there, but he'll need some others to join him. Rio's a team with a unique mix of players. The midfield looks good - it has a huge ceiling really - but damn it, I don't think you can make a team look good with so many key forward players :P. Prove me wrong Rio, prove me wrong. I'll back London.

Alright Buenos Aires, it's time to get cracking. I've admired this rebuild from afar, and I really think 2021 is the year for the Dillos to take a shot and capitalise on this amazing cohort of 20-24 year old players. Anything outside of the top 8 is a fail I reckon. New York? Scare the shower out of me. To bank on the likes of Jed Anderson, Cameron Guthrie, Rhys Stanley and to a much lesser extent, Luke Dunstan is playing with god damn fire. Or is it genius? I certainly like the rest of the team though and that's a good core, but these players have me attending the morning service on Sunday. Dillos for me.

It must be very frustrating coaching Moscow. Yep, the injuries have come and gone and that's held them back, but it must be frustrating to have so many good players and continually missing the 8 with them. I have to admit though, the Moscow midfield is quite intimidating this year which makes me think, FCS, you gotta make the 8 yeah? I think they'll start the year off with a win this week, given the Tigers are building at the moment. Improvements from Gus and a few others on the cusp will make the Tigers a more formidable outfit, but until then, I'll guess another year in bottom 4 awaits. Moscow for me.

Tokyo is another team to have invested in midfield firepower. Too long have Tokyo had mountains of pudding, but with no cream on the top. 2020 was the second year I've seen it trade for aforementioned cream, and I'm convinced they'll improve because of it. Yes, they might not have as much pudding, but they never needed that much anyway. The Saints though, are hungry for pudding. And yes, they did obtain some pud in 2020. I'd also say some of the yeast in their mixture will rise this year. But, little Oliver "Christchurch" Twist might just have to wait a little bit longer. Tokyo for me.

Jukes

D: Sam Docherty, Shaun Atley, Tom Jonas, Liam Jones
M: Luke Parker, Josh Kelly (cc), Adam Treloar (cc), Scott Pendlebury
R: Sam Draper
F: Tom Hawkins, Dylan Moore, Jack Ziebell, Nick Blakey
U: James Worpel, Stephen Coniglio

Emg: Errol Gulden, Callum Brown, Tom Fullarton, Shaun McKernan, Jake Aarts, Harrison Jones, Alex Pearce, Heath Chapman

JBs-Hawks

Seoul

D: Jack Crisp, Nick Haynes, Sam Collins, Ben McEvoy
M: Jack Steele (C), Matt Rowell, Will Setterfield, Clayton Oliver (VC)
R: Jonathon Ceglar
F: Patrick Dangerfield, Zac Fisher, Charlie Dixon, Joe Daniher
I: Lachie Weller, Ed Curnow

E: Zach Tuohy, Lachlan Fogarty, Josh Rotham, Curtis Taylor, Jordan Butts, Bailey Scott, Luke Jackson, Conor Downie

Urbaninfinnity

Beijing Pandas

D: Caleb Daniel, Dan Houston, Jake Lever, Wil Powell
M: Lachie Neale (VC), Tom Rockliff, Blake Acres, Brandon Ellis
R: Brodie Grundy (C)
F: Brody Mihocek, Luke Breust, Kane Lambert, Dan Butler
U: Dayne Zorko (M/F), David Swallow (M)

Emergencies: Taylor Duryea (F), Lachie Henderson (D), Kyron Hayden (D), Brayden Ham (M), Ned Cahill (F), Chayce Jones (M), Kane Farrell (F), Neville Jetta (D)

Nige

Karen

Tom Stewart, Nick Vlastuin, Brennan Cox, Oleg Markov
Taylor Adams (c), Hugh McCluggage (vc), Hugh Greenwood, Shane Edwards
Matthew Flynn
Josh Bruce, Alex Neal-Bullen, Lincoln McCarthy, Jason Castagna
Jye Caldwell, Mitch Robinson

Bailey Dale, Tom Sparrow, Buku Khamis, Ollie Hanrahan, Josh Walker, Jeremy Finlayson, Kieren Briggs, Shane Mumford

PowerBug

Rio De Janeiro Jaguars

Def: Brayden Maynard, Daniel Rich, Will Day, Isaac Cumming.
Mid: Nathan Fyfe (C), Tim Taranto (VC), Karl Amon, Kamdyn McIntosh.
Ruck: Callum Sinclair.
Fwd: Jeremy Cameron (VC), Eric Hipwood, Tarryn Thomas, Gary Rohan.
Util: Steven Motlop (Fwd), Changkuoth Jiath (Def).

Emerg: Reece Conca (Def), Joel Hamling (Def), Mason Cox (Fwd), Hamish Hartlett (Def), Mason Wood (Fwd), Andrew Phillips (Ruck), James Jordon (Mid), Levi Greenwood (Def).

Holz

Backs: Christian Salem, Shannon Hurn, Dane Rampe, Jeremy Howe
Mids: Matt Crouch (C), Rory Sloane, Dylan Shiel, Josh P Kennedy
Ruck: Todd Goldstein
Fwds: Dustin Martin, Toby Greene, Jack Riewoldt, AMT
Interchange: Dyson Heppell, Marc Murphy

EMG:Robbie Tarrant (D), Grant Birchall (D), Mark O'Connor (D), Lachlan Schultz (F),Minairo Frederick (F), Tom Campbell (R/F), Ben McKay (D), Ned McHenry (F)

EMG EMG: Jacob Koschitzke (D), Tristian Xerri (F), Jack Mahony (F)

RaisyDaisy

New York Revolution

D: Mark Blicavs, Tom Doedee, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Blake Hardwick
M: Jed Anderson, Cam Guthrie (CC), Trent Dumont, Andrew McGrath
R: Rhys Stanley
F: Kyle Langford, Izak Rankine, Jamie Cripps, Jake Riccardi
I: Jy Simpkin (CC), Jade Gresham

E: Tom Powell, Dom Tyson, Will Phillips, Luke Dunstan, Sam Taylor, Brandon Starcevich, Elliott Himmelberg, Jamaine Jones

Koop

Christchurch Saints

D: Isaac Quaynor, Callum Wilkie, David Astbury, Callum Ah Chee

M: James Rowbottom (C), Josh Daicos, George Hewett (VC), Brandon Parfitt

R: Sean Darcy

F: Sam B. Reid, Jamie Elliott, Tom McDonald, Jack Silvagni

U: Xavier Duursma (M), Paddy Dow (M/F)

E: Mason Redman, Tyler Brown, Harry Schoenberg, Harry McKay, Tom Cutler, Lachie Jones, Zane Trew, Phil Davis

upthemaidens

Pacific Islanders   

DEF: Rory Laird, Liam Duggan, Bailey Williams, Andrew McPherson
MID: Tom Mitchell, Marcus Bontempelli (C), Andrew Gaff (VC), Jarryd Lyons
RCK: Jarrod Witts 
FWD: Zac Bailey, Peter Wright, Josh Jenkins, Tom McCartin
UTL: Harry Perryman(M), Devon Smith(M) 

EMG: Paul Hunter(R), Harrison Himmelberg(F), Connor Idun(D), Lloyd Meek(R), Matt Taberner(F), Aidan Corr(D), Sam Day(F), Lachlan McNeil(M)

Resting: Aliir Aliir

iZander

Dillos

Def: Short (CC), Coffield, Scrimshaw, Ash
Mid: Wines (CC), Brayshaw, Berry, Parish
Ruck: ROB
Fwd: De Goey, Campbell, Hayward, Hunt
Int: Cerra, Green

Emg: Serong, Lipinski, Bonner, Francis, Highmore, Brockman, Macrae, Strachan

kilbluff1985

New Delhi Tigers

Def: Jake Lloyd (C), Jordan Dawson, Tom Barrass, Harry Morrison
Mid: Angus Brayshaw, Ed Langdon, Noah Anderson, Jack Sinclair
Ruck: Oscar McInerney (VC)
Fwds: Jack Martin, Zak Butters (EVC), Samuel Wicks, Laitham Vandermeer 
Util: Brayden Sier, Sam Switkowski

Emerg: Josh J Kennedy, Alex Sexton, Noah Answerth, Sam Mayes, Stephen Hill, Archie Smith, Stephen Hill

Boomz

D: Jordan Ridley, Harry Cunningham, Ethan Hughes, Ben Long
M: Tom Liberatore (VC), Jacob Hopper, Josh Dunkley (C), Sebastian Ross
R: Scott Lycett
F: Isaac Smith, Peter Ladhams, Liam Ryan, Charlie Cameron
U: Oliver Florent, Brett Bewley
EMG: Gibbons, Budarick, Impey, Rioli, Plowman, Gleeson, Guelfi, Holman

fanTCfool

Toronto Wolves

D: Alex Witherden, Ryan Burton, Lachlan Sholl, Damon Greaves
M: Jack Macrae (C), Travis Boak (VC), Tim Kelly (EVC), Dion Prestia
R: Connor Blakely (OOP)
F: Isaac Heeney, Jack Darling, TT Lynch, Tom Atkins
U: Tom Phillips, Jack Buckley

E: Michael Hibberd, Tobe Watson, Nathan Broad, Tom Williamson, Jake Bowey, Marlion Pickett, Atu Bosenavulagi, Josh Corbett

Pkbaldy

Mexico Suns

D: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jacob Weitering, Hayden Young, Jordan Clark (DEF),

M: Christian Petracca (CC), Lachie Hunter, Sam Walsh, David Mundy,

R: Nic Naitanui (CC),

F: Shai Bolton (FWD), Archie Perkins (MID),Nick Larkey, Aaron Naughton,

U: Luke Davies-Uniacke, Jack Graham,

E: Jarrod Brander, Bradley Hill, James Aish, Tom Cole, Mitch Georgiades, Oliver Henry ,Noah Balta, Nathan Vardy