2021 Suspensions and Discussion

Started by OZDocker, March 08, 2021, 07:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OZDocker

Thought it might be an interesting thread through out the season to follow and analyse MRP decisions and suspensions in one place.
Feel free to remove mod if not wanted.

In the current climate of concussions and AFL's committment for safety it will be interesting further into the season as more of these incidents occur.

Personally, i think Zac didnt intend to hit for damage but, when your off the ground and connect head high then it's a guaranteed 1 to 2 weeks without a resulting concussion.

AAMI Community Series:  Thursday, 4 March (7:10 pm)   Carlton 15.9 (99)   def. by   St Kilda 19.11 (125)

Carlton star recruit Zac Williams rubbed out of Round 1 after high hit.
Williams was handed a one-game ban by Match Review Officer Michael Christian after a high hit on St Kilda’s Hunter Clark inside the opening minute of the club’s AAMI Community Series clash.

Christian graded the incident as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact â€" resulting in the one-game suspension.

Bully

Don't know whether to hold or pick Docherty, probably leaning to the latter.

OZDocker

Quote from: Bully on March 08, 2021, 08:01:34 PM
Price is right for Docherty, just a matter of how his knee performs i think Bully. Had Zac and Sam in my side at one time or another. i've shuffled my team and currently have Short in but Short is making me short on dollars  ;D :o 8) might force me to consider Doc again.

Bully

Quote from: OZDocker on March 08, 2021, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: Bully on March 08, 2021, 08:01:34 PM
Price is right for Docherty, just a matter of how his knee performs i think Bully. Had Zac and Sam in my side at one time or another. i've shuffled my team and currently have Short in but Short is making me short on dollars  ;D :o 8) might force me to consider Doc again.

You've just highlighted the main con, the knee may keep him in the low 90s but he has some serious runs on the board & could turn into a masterstroke. I suppose at worst he holds his value & ties down D6. His ceiling is also impressive, scored a 185 in round 4 last year.

IntegralX

I’ve gone a straight swap from Williams to Duggan.

On another note, if that’s what it takes for someone to get rubbed out I expect a fair few blokes will get rubbed out this season, assuming old mate Michael Christian can stay consistent.

Bully

Williams out for one match, appeal failed.

Mat0369

It was low risk for Carlton to challenge. LOB might end up playing Round 1 now and could be a trap

OZDocker

GEELONG superstar Patrick Dangerfield has been suspended for three matches by the AFL Tribunal.

The Cats tried to argue that the force should have been graded as high rather than severe, which would have reduced the ban to two matches.

But the Tribunal agreed with Match Review Officer Michael Christian's assessment that it be graded as careless conduct, severe impact and high contact.

Dangerfield will miss matches against Brisbane, Hawthorn and Melbourne.

Colliwobblers

rohan will be next, selwood will get away with his dangerous tackle as its not the dog act its the outcome sadly....

but seems to be a pattern here.... geelong

https://www.afl.com.au/news/568692/the-suspension-ladder-whose-bad-boys-keep-getting-banned-

OZDocker

Nothing to do with player suspensions but....Damn!!!!! iv'e seen some bad umpiring but Brisbane were burnt tonight...really burnt.
Seriously... it wasnt that last incorrect disposal non decision but that was the nail in the coffin.
I tipped Geelong but that game was Brisbanes....
those umps should be on the side lines for week

Samsturmfels

Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 26, 2021, 10:57:53 PM
rohan will be next, selwood will get away with his dangerous tackle as its not the dog act its the outcome sadly....

https://www.afl.com.au/news/568692/the-suspension-ladder-whose-bad-boys-keep-getting-banned-
If Dangerfield can get 3 weeks for a bump, Rohan should get more (but wont). Neale may have not got knocked out, but punching someone in the jaw (which is considered a criminal offence outside of footy) should be seen as worse than accidently knocking someone out with a head clash. Rohan will probably get a weeks suspension or fine.

RoughRed

Quote from: Samsturmfels on March 27, 2021, 12:04:10 AM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 26, 2021, 10:57:53 PM

If Dangerfield can get 3 weeks for a bump, Rohan should get more (but wont). Neale may have not got knocked out, but punching someone in the jaw (which is considered a criminal offence outside of footy) should be seen as worse than accidently knocking someone out with a head clash. Rohan will probably get a weeks suspension or fine.
Geelong coach was a hard nut in his day - on the border as were many at the time, a different era. He is passionate and I would hate to see that being removed from the game

But the little I saw tonight (and I did not watch the whole game) was more than edgy.... working on a team strategy to shut down a player is one thing, being a strong ballsy player is great but in the current environment certain Geelong players IMO stepped over the line - to me it seemed that there was a "need" to blatantly physically hurt opposition so to cause injury, not a good look for the game or Geelong.

The game has moved on, for better or worse. Yes it is a physical contact game (may it continue to be so) but you can not have a "duty of care" code between players on the field and at the same time codone some of the on-field actions tonight

I would like to think I was wrong but that was what I saw watching the game

OZDocker

Sam Reid, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Nat Fyfe, Fremantle, during the third quarter of the Round Two match between Fremantle and the GWS GIANTS, played at Optus Stadium on Sunday March 28.

In summary he can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, High Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

OZDocker

I thought Shultz's hit on Greene in the first quarter might have drawn some attention, off the ground, head high ...lucky no injury.

Mat0369

Cunnington and Mitch Lewis both got a week. Powell is a must start on field and Kosi should get a recall