2021 Rookies

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabretooth Tigers

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 27, 2021, 11:09:51 PM
Wehr played in the 2s today.

Lachlan Jones played in the 1s, and by all accounts looked like he belonged.

I have Hayden Young F6, with Cox and Jones on the bench.

Am I the only one who believes the defensive Rookies aren’t there? (They’re there in talent, but not job security).

Is everyone still confident starting with 1, 2, or 3 defensive Rookies on the field?

Usually, I’m on the same page as the everyone... but maybe my radar is off this year??

;)

Hate to jinx you Colley, but at this point of time I am in full agreement with you. My current defence is:-
Lloyd,  Laird,  C Mills,  L Duggan,  H Young,  L Jones  //  T Highmore,  J Wehr
Have a much weakened forward line. But as a positive only have L Jones, T Powell and O Henry or J Rowe on the field , so only 3 playing rookies. Something to work back from if our worst nightmares don't come to fruition. Like you I would rather work back to Gun' n rookies than vice versa

::)

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on February 28, 2021, 02:40:04 PM

Am I the only one who believes the defensive Rookies aren’t there? (They’re there in talent, but not job security).

Is everyone still confident starting with 1, 2, or 3 defensive Rookies on the field?

Usually, I’m on the same page as the everyone... but maybe my radar is off this year??

;)

Hate to jinx you Colley, but at this point of time I am in full agreement with you. My current defence is:-
Have a much weakened forward line. But as a positive only have L Jones, T Powell and O Henry or J Rowe on the field , so only 3 playing rookies. Something to work back from if our worst nightmares don't come to fruition. Like you I would rather work back to Gun' n rookies than vice versa

Actually relieved to see a little consensus regarding the defensive rookies.

I’m still one step further along than most... with Hayden Young at D6, and Jones at D7.

But I feel a whole lot better about my reading of the situation. I thought I was going crazy.

As you say ST... easy to back out of this into GnR if 3+ are named. But I don’t see it.

:)

RoughRed

Quote from: Colley Dogs on March 01, 2021, 11:23:30 PM
Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on February 28, 2021, 02:40:04 PM

;)

Actually relieved to see a little consensus regarding the defensive rookies.

I’m still one step further along than most... with Hayden Young at D6, and Jones at D7.

But I feel a whole lot better about my reading of the situation. I thought I was going crazy.

As you say ST... easy to back out of this into GnR if 3+ are named. But I don’t see it.

:)
Ditto!

Judd Magic

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 28, 2021, 01:50:04 PM
As of today, the only def rookies that seem to be somewhat of a remote chance imo are Jones and Highmore, and even that's a stretch

Let's hope that some of Edwards, Bianco, Gould, Wehr etc get named. Either way, for now, I think we need to look at the possibility of having Jones D6, and someone like Hayden Young at D5. Not ideal at all, but we can't be too surprised with most new rookies not playing last year which in turn limits their chances of an early debut

Stacked def and super light fwd line looking likely

You're slipping RD. Cox is a shoe in to play round 1 and the perfect D6.

Judd Magic

Quote from: bkimm32 on February 28, 2021, 11:32:34 AM
Forward and back rookies seem solid enough, but to me, at this stage, midfield rookies is slim pickings

LOL.

Not sure if you're serious.

Ingram

Lloyd Laird Mills Short Duggen Cox Kotsch Highmore current setup. Feels crazy.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Judd Magic on March 02, 2021, 12:59:55 AM
As of today, the only def rookies that seem to be somewhat of a remote chance imo are Jones and Highmore, and even that's a stretch

Let's hope that some of Edwards, Bianco, Gould, Wehr etc get named. Either way, for now, I think we need to look at the possibility of having Jones D6, and someone like Hayden Young at D5. Not ideal at all, but we can't be too surprised with most new rookies not playing last year which in turn limits their chances of an early debut

Haha, yeah by all reports he is a lock to play, but 170k+ for a guy who probably won't score well isn't exactly appealing to me, which is why I didn't even mention him, but we might not have a choice and he could be a forced selection

Other than Rowell and Walsh, I can't think of any other recent expensive rookies that actually turned out to be good picks, which is why I try to avoid them at all costs

bkimm32

Quote from: Judd Magic on March 02, 2021, 01:04:26 AM
Forward and back rookies seem solid enough, but to me, at this stage, midfield rookies is slim pickings

LOL.

Couldn’t be more serious

Rookies also inclusive of 200k cows (Daniher and Impey etc)

Colley Dogs

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 02, 2021, 11:10:58 AM

LOL.

Couldn’t be more serious

Daniher and Impey are excellent Rookie priced players.

Can you please tell me two equally excellent Defensive Rookies??

shaker

Quote from: Colley Dogs on March 02, 2021, 12:29:30 PM

LOL.

Couldn’t be more serious

Clark and Hamill. If the defensive rookies are that much of a worry use your non playing loophole player in defence that's one less you have to worry about.

bkimm32

LOL.

Couldn’t be more serious

There likely isn’t any defensive options that will be AS GOOD as Daniher (if he stays fit) and Impey but Young, Cox and Highmore each look to present pretty damn good value atm.

I just don’t see it in the midfield rookies. The high midfield draft picks this season (Phillips, Hollands, Perkins etc.) represent more risk than years gone by - due to no top aged under 18 exposed form. There isn’t as many notable mature aged state league rookie midfielders that look like they will be walk in best 22 players either, unlike in previous seasons.

I just think the midfield rookie priced players are really thin. We will know more by the end of the pre-season games, but this is just my initial thoughts. I’ve seen some teams on here and my structure is completely different, I currently have H. Young at d3 and I’m more than comfortable with that. He may move out to d4 by the time round 1 rolls around, but as of now I’m quite happy to go VERY lean in defense, trusting in the rookies. Every year the defensive premiums change massively a compared to other lines, I don’t want to be stuck with players like Laird, Stewart, Mills or Haynes when some other up and comers like Clark, Coffield or Duggan etc. may go past them as top 6 defenders.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 02, 2021, 09:08:34 AM
Quote from: Judd Magic on March 02, 2021, 12:59:55 AM

Haha, yeah by all reports he is a lock to play, but 170k+ for a guy who probably won't score well isn't exactly appealing to me, which is why I didn't even mention him, but we might not have a choice and he could be a forced selection

Other than Rowell and Walsh, I can't think of any other recent expensive rookies that actually turned out to be good picks, which is why I try to avoid them at all costs

What about Bailey Smith, Serong, Rozee

bkimm32

Sorry, couldn’t disagree more

Colley Dogs

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 02, 2021, 01:26:27 PM

LOL.

Couldn’t be more serious

There likely isn’t any that defensive options that will be as good as Daniher (if he stays fit) and Impey but Young, Wehr and Highmore look to present pretty damn good value atm.

I just don’t see it in the midfield rookies. The high midfield draft picks this season (Phillips, Hollands, Perkins etc.) represent more risk than years gone by due to no top age under 18 exposed form. There isn’t as many notable mature aged state league rookie midfielders that look like they will be walk in best 22 players.

I just think the midfield rookie priced players are really thin. We will know more by the end of the pre-season games, but this is just my initial thoughts.

Agree with you about the Midfield Rookies... but less confident about the defensive Rookies.

Of the three you named, Young is the only one with job security at the moment (I’m assuming you mean North’s Young, and not Freo’s young). If Wehr, Highmore, Jones, Gould start, they offer great value. But I don’t see them being named. And if they’re named, I’m predicting omissions soon after. Can definitely see a revolving door scenario down back, which is a Supercoach nightmare.

I’m therefore running with Harmes at D5 & Hayden Young at D6, with Jones & Wehr on the bench.

In the mids, I’m running with two on-field Rookies. Along with the bench, here are my current five:

Ralphsmith; Gulden; Campbell; Powell; Ely Smith

bkimm32

Quote from: Colley Dogs on March 02, 2021, 01:40:43 PM
Quote from: bkimm32 on March 02, 2021, 01:26:27 PM

LOL.

Couldn’t be more serious

There likely isn’t any that defensive options that will be as good as Daniher (if he stays fit) and Impey but Young, Wehr and Highmore look to present pretty damn good value atm.

I just don’t see it in the midfield rookies. The high midfield draft picks this season (Phillips, Hollands, Perkins etc.) represent more risk than years gone by due to no top age under 18 exposed form. There isn’t as many notable mature aged state league rookie midfielders that look like they will be walk in best 22 players.

I just think the midfield rookie priced players are really thin. We will know more by the end of the pre-season games, but this is just my initial thoughts.

Agree with you about the Midfield Rookies... but less confident about the defensive Rookies.

Of the three you named, Young is the only one with job security at the moment (I’m assuming you mean North’s Young, and not Freo’s young). If Wehr, Highmore, Jones, Gould start, they offer great value. But I don’t see them being named. And if they’re named, I’m predicting omissions soon after. Can definitely see a revolving door scenario down back, which is a Supercoach nightmare.

I’m therefore running with Harmes at D5 & Hayden Young at D6, with Jones & Wehr on the bench.

In the mids, I’m running with two on-field Rookies. Along with the bench, here are my current five:

Ralphsmith; Gulden; Campbell; Powell; Ely Smith

I meant Hayden from Freo but both fit the argument I guess

I’m a Saints fan and I’m predicting Highmore to play very early and play well. He’s going to be very similar to Calum Wilkie and I’d have 22 of him in our team.