2021 Rookies

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Jordan Clark played predominantly on the wing and is listed at 200k. I'm thinking we're going to be starting the Dow/Clark types this year

Colley Dogs

I’ve been saying it all pre-season... the Rookies aren’t there.

Yes, there are 10 - 12... but not the 15 - 16 we need for a Guns ‘n Rookies set-up.

I currently have only 3 sub-200k Rookies starting, with zero in Defense.

shaker

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 26, 2021, 07:44:44 PM
Jordan Clark played predominantly on the wing and is listed at 200k. I'm thinking we're going to be starting the Dow/Clark types this year
Clarke 241K and have him sitting at M6 currently but think he is still fighting for a wing spot with Smith joining the club.

shaker

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 26, 2021, 11:02:25 PM

Yes, there are 10 - 12... but not the 15 - 16 we need for a Guns ‘n Rookies set-up.

Still think G and R team is on course from the Pies we have Kelly and Henry looking likely think there will be a couple of North ones pop up I think Downie from the Hawks that's 5 from 3 teams but we will have to have more 200K types like Impey , Dow , Daniher players in this year so with the five I mentioned plus 3 200K players that makes 8 leaves 7 or 8 more from 15 teams think we will be fine  ;)

Colley Dogs

Quote from: shaker on February 27, 2021, 09:11:40 AM
Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 26, 2021, 11:02:25 PM

Still think G and R team is on course from the Pies we have Kelly and Henry looking likely think there will be a couple of North ones pop up I think Downie from the Hawks that's 5 from 3 teams but we will have to have more 200K types like Impey , Dow , Daniher players in this year so with the five I mentioned plus 3 200K players that makes 8 leaves 7 or 8 more from 15 teams think we will be fine  ;)

Hope you’re right, Shaker.

Easy to pivot back to G n R. Harder to go the other way if you have a selection of Rookie defenders from the Sunday games.

Hopefully clubs help us out by doing the marketing thing, and name their debutants in the lead up.

Colley Dogs

Wehr played in the 2s today.

Lachlan Jones played in the 1s, and by all accounts looked like he belonged.

I have Hayden Young F6, with Cox and Jones on the bench.

Am I the only one who believes the defensive Rookies aren’t there? (They’re there in talent, but not job security).

Is everyone still confident starting with 1, 2, or 3 defensive Rookies on the field?

Usually, I’m on the same page as the everyone... but maybe my radar is off this year??

RaisyDaisy

Honestly, it's still too early to know

We're just wasting our time playing around with teams atm - hopefully we'll start to get a much clearer picture re the rookie situation over the coming weeks

RoughRed

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 27, 2021, 11:42:41 PM

We're just wasting our time playing around with teams atm - hopefully we'll start to get a much clearer picture re the rookie situation over the coming weeks
+1 

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 27, 2021, 11:42:41 PM

I’m sure you’re right, RD. But usually three weeks out from the season opener our structure is pretty much set. We rely on the pre-season comp for X v. Y with our Rookies, and fallen premiums.

This season the lack of JS among the defensive Rookies will 100% challenge the structure of teams, imo.

This is a new normal... and everyone’s treating it like business as usual.

Anyway... I’ll go away now. I can see I’m on a different wave length to everyone.

(Probably I’m way off base and I’ll have my worst season ever... and next season I’ll crawl back with my tail between my legs :D)

Mat0369

Quote from: shaker on February 27, 2021, 09:02:32 AM
Clarke 241K and have him sitting at M6 currently but think he is still fighting for a wing spot with Smith joining the club.

One of the reasons he stayed with the Cats is because he was promised more game time. Smith did miss the game and you also have Duncan/Menegola to rotate through the wings but I think he might stick.

shaker

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 28, 2021, 01:17:43 AM
Quote from: shaker on February 27, 2021, 09:02:32 AM

One of the reasons he stayed with the Cats is because he was promised more game time. Smith did miss the game and you also have Duncan/Menegola to rotate through the wings but I think he might stick.
I'm thinking he will play a more half back role he did a couple of nice things in the scratch match will watch the community match with interest.

bkimm32

Forward and back rookies seem solid enough, but to me, at this stage, midfield rookies is slim pickings

hawkers65

Quote from: bkimm32 on February 28, 2021, 11:32:34 AM
Forward and back rookies seem solid enough, but to me, at this stage, midfield rookies is slim pickings

Back rookies? I don't think there is even one you can comfortably say is best 22.

Mat0369

Yeah I'm starting to think a Cumming type will bd be needed at D5

RaisyDaisy

As of today, the only def rookies that seem to be somewhat of a remote chance imo are Jones and Highmore, and even that's a stretch

Let's hope that some of Edwards, Bianco, Gould, Wehr etc get named. Either way, for now, I think we need to look at the possibility of having Jones D6, and someone like Hayden Young at D5. Not ideal at all, but we can't be too surprised with most new rookies not playing last year which in turn limits their chances of an early debut

Stacked def and super light fwd line looking likely