2021 Defenders

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLion

<Insert General Defenders Questions/Discussion for the 2021 season here>

Mat0369

I'm thinking one or two top end premiums on this line. Probably Lloyd and Stewart. Zac Williams will be a value pick playing predominantly midfield at Carlton. Newman and Marchbank are the the other two Blues that should be cheap since Newman averaged about 40 off two injured games and Marchbank didn't play at all

enzedder

Lloyd's price is ridiculous compared to the rest but how can you not start him? Must have IMO.
Whitfield picks himself. Plays where he wants and uses it so well. Safe pick as he will continue to rack em up.
ZWilliams will get midfield time in Carlton's line up. He's cheap compared to some others and looks a good buy.
Milera is the only midpricer I'm considering. Somewhat risky but he will provide run out of half back/wing and could perhaps get some rotation through the mids as well.
They're the ones I've pencilled in.
Of the rest I's say Laird is a great pick, tried and true. He got a lot of midfield time in 2020 and with the exit of Brad Crouch and their struggling and younger list perhaps that continues.
Stewart will probably be up there again and looks to be the best of the intercepting mark types. With longer quarters in 2021 and less scaling on offer he may drop slightly on what we saw in 2020 but he should be one of the safer picks.
Crisp is another I like. He gets a lot of the ball (20+ is not unusual) with rebounds and goal assists features of his play. He should be another good scorer.
Caleb Daniel is another safe pick, another accumulator and good user.
Watch on Jeremy Howe, depending on how he comes back and no need to go looking much further.

Fid

What are your thoughts on Caleb Marchbank?

tommy10

Can’t discount Ridley either. Only 22, just won B&F, averaged 18 possessions, intercept marking king and I think will only get better IMO.

crowls

Quote from: tommy10 on January 06, 2021, 08:14:42 PM
Can’t discount Ridley either. Only 22, just won B&F, averaged 18 possessions, intercept marking king and I think will only get better IMO.
Huge Ridley fan (Bombers) hope he goes on with it.   Not paying 550k for him though. 

enzedder

Longer quarters will suit the accumulators more in 2021. Ridley and other interceptors will drop off a little I think as there will be less points to scale at the end of quarters. Won't start Ridley but may upgrade to him cheaper and later if his scoring is okay.

Mat0369

Quote from: Fid on January 02, 2021, 12:42:07 PM
What are your thoughts on Caleb Marchbank?

When I saw he was about 280k it was a pass from me. He hasn't played enough footy and won't be a walk up into our 22 to justify it.

Quote from: enzedder on January 07, 2021, 07:41:58 AM
Longer quarters will suit the accumulators more in 2021. Ridley and other interceptors will drop off a little I think as there will be less points to scale at the end of quarters. Won't start Ridley but may upgrade to him cheaper and later if his scoring is okay.

I think Ridley also has the ability to accumulate and uses the ball well so that's a plus. I really want to start him but I want to lock in Lloyd and Williams. I also think Stewart is underpriced due to the injury and hard to pass up at that price. Daniel and Laird are the other two I'm tempted by. There are a lot of great options down back

tommy10

Quote from: crowls on January 06, 2021, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: tommy10 on January 06, 2021, 08:14:42 PM
Huge Ridley fan (Bombers) hope he goes on with it.   Not paying 550k for him though.
I would pay the $$ for him, but looking at my team Lloyd, Whitfield and Williams are a lock so don't think I can fit him in to start. Definitely a watch and see and hope to get him cheaper. But I have a feeling he'll be taking his game to another level.

shaker

Got Williams in last year after his injury and he was pretty disappointing always seems to be be picking up knocks and niggles so will see how he looks at a new club but not the top of my list.

enzedder

Quote from: shaker on January 21, 2021, 04:58:15 PM
Got Williams in last year after his injury and he was pretty disappointing always seems to be be picking up knocks and niggles so will see how he looks at a new club but not the top of my list.
From FoxFooty...re new roles/positions for 2021

“Star recruit Zac Williams is the obvious one, with the former Giants half-back to be deployed in the midfield at the Blues. Footy fans saw a glimpse of his potential as an on-baller at the Giants â€" his 2019 preliminary final against Collingwood was simply breathtaking â€" so Blues supporters will be hoping Williams can recreate that form at his new club.”

As a mid and at his price he’s going to be extremely popular. If he fires and you don’t have him you lose a bit to the pack. If you don’t start him and he gets injured and your alternative player does well then you have a leg up. Risky not getting him I’d say but watch his pre season and see how he is travelling.

The other interesting one from the article is Milera. Looks like he’s going to be popular too. Was hoping he might get under the radar a bit but he’s being mentioned  everywhere.

“After developing into a classy distributor off half-back, Wayne Milera is set for a switch to the midfield in 2021. The 23-year-old has been training with the club’s on-ball brigade and recently told the club’s website that he sees his long-term future likely away from defence, declaring: “It (the midfield) is where I want to play down the track and I feel I can add a lot to that group.” There have been calls for the recently re-signed Brodie Smith to play as a midfielder-forward, especially after his taste of centre bounce work last year. But the veteran is currently back training with the defensive group and will likely spend 2021 in the back 50.”

shaker

Quote from: enzedder on January 21, 2021, 06:05:26 PM
Quote from: shaker on January 21, 2021, 04:58:15 PM
From FoxFooty...re new roles/positions for 2021

“Star recruit Zac Williams is the obvious one, with the former Giants half-back to be deployed in the midfield at the Blues. Footy fans saw a glimpse of his potential as an on-baller at the Giants â€" his 2019 preliminary final against Collingwood was simply breathtaking â€" so Blues supporters will be hoping Williams can recreate that form at his new club.”

As a mid and at his price he’s going to be extremely popular. If he fires and you don’t have him you lose a bit to the pack. If you don’t start him and he gets injured and your alternative player does well then you have a leg up. Risky not getting him I’d say but watch his pre season and see how he is travelling.

The other interesting one from the article is Milera. Looks like he’s going to be popular too. Was hoping he might get under the radar a bit but he’s being mentioned  everywhere.

“After developing into a classy distributor off half-back, Wayne Milera is set for a switch to the midfield in 2021. The 23-year-old has been training with the club’s on-ball brigade and recently told the club’s website that he sees his long-term future likely away from defence, declaring: “It (the midfield) is where I want to play down the track and I feel I can add a lot to that group.” There have been calls for the recently re-signed Brodie Smith to play as a midfielder-forward, especially after his taste of centre bounce work last year. But the veteran is currently back training with the defensive group and will likely spend 2021 in the back 50.”
Haven't entirely ruled him out will see how he used but he dosen't seem durable to me and as for Milera twice burnt 3rd time shy.

SilverLion

Harmes is one I'll be monitoring over the pre-season. If he gets his role back in the mids, could be a viable option as a mid priced defender.

jvalles69

Wowee, ppl still post here!

What's the latest on Howe?  Any news?

Mat0369

The guy in the low 400's range I see breaking out is Lukosius. He started stringing together some good scores before tailing off terribly post bye.