2021 Mids

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timtim

Quote from: hawkers65 on February 08, 2021, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: enzedder on February 08, 2021, 05:09:12 PM
Quote from: hawkers65 on February 08, 2021, 03:53:36 PM
I really like Zerrett in his contract year. We've seen countless players in their contract year go crazy lately. One of the best kicks in the comp. Just racks up the pill. Can see 120+.
Has the runs on the board and can go big. Likely to be one of the best mids again.
No issues with his role and has one of the better records with regards to durability, pre-season status etc.
His bye coincides with Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn, WCE and Richmond. When looking at those teams’ midfield line ups the SC players one might consider are the host of WB players who may be avoided given the uncertainty of where they might play and how that will impact on their points, Titch who had post season surgery and an a less than ideal pre season as a consequence, Cripps who had post season surgery like Titch on his shoulder, Walsh who is a second year player, Neale who is expensive but probably a must have, McLuggage who isn’t an absolute top premo yet but could rise further, the Richmond mids aren’t really an option and it is questionable if the Eagles’ ones are too but Gaff and Yeo have some merit... so to me having Neale and Zerrett alongside him works just fine I’d say.

To be honest, the only flaw for Merrett for me was the bye as I see both Neale and Crippa as must haves. Even when I had Crippa out for a little while it was for Walsh so bye is always an issue having 3 out of your 4/5 gun mids out.

The other thing is since his original breakout year there's always been something wrong or that has interrupted him. Has gotten unlucky with concussions and what not. I just feel like he's due one year where everything clicks and what better year to do it when you  have all other Melbourne clubs sniffing around. I can see us Hawks going after him very hard.

Zerrett lock. Simples

Ingram

Zerrett set and forget soon as SC opened for me.

hawkers65

It's interesting that so many in here are locking him away yet he's only in 7% of teams. Should be a stella POD.

Ringo

Quote from: hawkers65 on February 10, 2021, 01:24:13 PM
It's interesting that so many in here are locking him away yet he's only in 7% of teams. Should be a stella POD.
Have you not learned yet that some players that are talked up here does not equate to greater ownership. 

/////////////////////////

Josh Kelly
Stephen Rabbit
Tim Taranto
Callan Ward
Tom Green

All ridiculously underpriced and represent huge value. They don't have to share the middle with shower players who just steal midfield minutes but will never amount to anything like Hately and Caldwell anymore.

Samsturmfels

Quote from: ///////////////////////// on February 11, 2021, 01:42:39 AM
Josh Kelly
Stephen Rabbit
Tim Taranto
Callan Ward
Tom Green

All ridiculously underpriced and represent huge value. They don't have to share the middle with shower players who just steal midfield minutes but will never amount to anything like Hately and Caldwell anymore.

Kelly, Taranto and Green the only ones worth looking at. Kelly too injured-prone and Green is a wait and see.

crowls

Quote from: Samsturmfels on February 14, 2021, 03:22:21 PM
Quote from: ///////////////////////// on February 11, 2021, 01:42:39 AM
Josh Kelly
Stephen Rabbit
Tim Taranto
Callan Ward
Tom Green

Kelly, Taranto and Green the only ones worth looking at. Kelly too injured-prone and Green is a wait and see.
well said sam

hawkers65

Lachie Neale priced at a 130 average and has had a very interrupted preseason now missing both intra-club games. He also played close to 100% TOG last year with the shortened 1/4's. You'd expect this to drop back down to 90%. Anyone else liking the extra 70k on a Steele or even up to 200k on an underpriced premo like Cripps?

enzedder

Quote from: hawkers65 on February 16, 2021, 03:43:28 PM
Lachie Neale priced at a 130 average and has had a very interrupted preseason now missing both intra-club games. He also played close to 100% TOG last year with the shortened 1/4's. You'd expect this to drop back down to 90%. Anyone else liking the extra 70k on a Steele or even up to 200k on an underpriced premo like Cripps?
No. Still intending to start Neale.

crowls

Quote from: enzedder on February 16, 2021, 04:05:55 PM
No still intending to start Neale. 

RoughRed

Quote from: crowls on February 16, 2021, 06:23:44 PM
Nothing to add ... starting Neale

tommy10

timtim

Hately, Sier, Caldwell in same side too much?

Southstorm

Quote from: timtim on February 20, 2021, 06:01:45 PM
Hately, Sier, Caldwell in same side too much?

I'd say yeah, it's a lot to gamble on all of them going premo this year. Personally won't be starting any of them though.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RoughRed on February 16, 2021, 11:47:53 PM
Quote from: crowls on February 16, 2021, 06:23:44 PM
Nothing to add ... starting Neale

Today, for the first time since SC opened, I've taken Neale out of my team

I'm pretty sure he'll end up back in there come Round 1 (for the obvious reasons).

The problem, as I see it, is the lack of JS with the Rookie defenders. The way my side is structured, I need two starting Rookie defenders at D5/6.

There is excellent talent amongst the defensive Rookies, but for whatever reason the JS is low. Brett Ratten's comments re Highmore after their intraclub is what did it for me.

Marshall/Preuss out of the picture makes Gawn-Grundy necessary. I refuse to budge on Lloyd-Laird at D1/2. Neale is the only one I can downgrade and still end up with a PREMIUM player in his place.

... Allowing me to upgrade my D5 to someone with good JS.

So yeah... as a straight up question: Is Neale essential? YES

But when you factor in the bigger picture, and the challenges this season is presenting... it's worth thinking about.

As an example:

Neale + Highmore v. Cripps + Harmes/Milera etc. (at D5)

Potentially the same net points.

If Highmore has job security, I'm taking him with Neale every day of the week. Certainly, I'd be taking Neale/Highmore if I had only one on-field Rookie (I'm comfortable with three of Highmore / Jones / Wehr / Worrell / Chugg / Gould etc. to cover one on-field spot).

But right now I'm not comfortable with choosing four of these to reliably cover two on-field spots.

(If Neale was enjoying an uninterrupted pre-season, and played in both intra-clubs, it wouldn't be a discussion. My decision isn't against Neale... it's for the weakness at the bottom my team.... something has to give. And the fact Neale is fully priced, I'll just pick him up for what he's worth when the time comes. Maybe even with a small discount)

I'm not sold on this, and I'm not comfortable about it. But I'm less comfortable with the JS of this season's Rookies.