2021 Mids

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLion

<Insert General Mid Questions/Discussion for the 2021 season here>

Mat0369

I feel the midfield will be mid price madness this year. Yeo, Taranto, Heppell and Cunnington would all be tempting. Cripps is a little over 500k so at that price he has to be a lock. Rowell and Sloane are both under 500k as well. Selwood and JPK are the other two I'm curious to see what they're priced and Hately could be a breakout contender with Caldwell

Ringo

Unlike previous years think we will see a lot of differing players this year. See some comments about not picking Neale even.
My initial mids are Neale, Oliver, Mitchell, Adams, Rowell, Heppell. With rest rookies.

Sabretooth Tigers

:)

I think with the lack of exposure to a lot of this years draft crop that it will be incredibly difficult to select many of them  for Rd.1. At this very early stage my team is 3/3/1/4 on what I would expect to be in my final team. Included are two mid- pricers and two low end bargains
Going very skinny in the guts in the hope that most selected rookies come from this line, also thinking it could be very difficult to pick the best 5 to 8 options early in the season. Currently running with :-

Neale,  Petracca,  Rowell,  Hately,  Caldwell,  Phillips,  Bruhn,  Powell,  //  Pedlar,  Berry,  Lazzaro

The above will depend heavily on what is shown in the pre season games.

???

enzedder

Quote from: Ringo on December 23, 2020, 05:58:20 PM
Unlike previous years think we will see a lot of differing players this year. See some comments about not picking Neale even.
My initial mids are Neale, Oliver, Mitchell, Adams, Rowell, Heppell. With rest rookies.
Neale's price is daunting and his price fell considerably late in 2020 as his form dropped away somewhat so some will be thinking of getting him for cheaper and not starting him. I won't be one of those. He usually starts the year off with a bang. Those who didn't start with him in 2019 (127, 140, 177, 140, 91, 142, 108, 114, 148) and 2020 (157, 171, 166, 147, 130, 134, 87, 152, 157) were at a major disadvantage and without him as a VC/C choice on top of that. I think you have to pay up for him.
Neale, one of Oliver or Titch, Macrae, Walsh, Rowell, Heppell and rookies is what I'm thinking at the moment.

Guys like: Yeo, Prestia, Cerra, Hopper, Green and B Crouch represent some value and are worthy of thought too.

crowls

What is the likelihood Rowell can average over 100 for a full season?   I just cannot see it happening.   He is priced high 90's,  it is such a big ask to expect a 19yr to get near 110+ over the season in what will effectively be his first full season.   Am I missing something or is Rowell that much better than every other rookie who ever played the game?

enzedder

Quote from: crowls on January 06, 2021, 06:39:53 PM
What is the likelihood Rowell can average over 100 for a full season?   I just cannot see it happening.   He is priced high 90's,  it is such a big ask to expect a 19yr to get near 110+ over the season in what will effectively be his first full season.   Am I missing something or is Rowell that much better than every other rookie who ever played the game?
Think he's pretty special mate.
Brownlow votes
R2v Eagles 3votes 171 SC 2nd game
R3v Crows 3votes 141 SC 3rd game
R4v Frem 3votes 114SC
injured R5

Small sample but that would have to be the best rookie start in VFL/AFL history

Peter

IMO very simple: 3 ways he can go -

Tanks and only goes at around 70-80 (his price or worse); you unload him for a fallen premium and hasn’t cost you anything other than a trade
Stays at around 90-100 and becomes your cheapest M8 on record and saves a trade
Goes at 100-120 and becomes a keeper, saves a trade and you have a gun.

dmac07

Quote from: Peter on January 07, 2021, 08:04:10 AM

Tanks and only goes at around 70-80 (his price or worse); you unload him for a fallen premium and hasn’t cost you anything other than a trade

Picking a 495k who isn't a keeper is a bust as far as I'm concerned. So two out of those three options are no good to me.

You've got to take into account
- Never been tagged. Likely to at least a few times this year.
- Young players often tire as the year goes on, hasn't played more than 4 consecutive games.
- Coming off a serious injury players often have a slow start, a shoulder injury is especially likely to impact a contested ball winner as well, just look at Cripps last year.

I have no idea how is one of the most popular picks.

Money Shot

Quote from: dmac07 on February 02, 2021, 04:17:18 PM

Picking a 495k who isn't a keeper is a bust as far as I'm concerned. So two out of those three options are no good to me.

- Young players often tire as the year goes on, hasn't played more than 4 consecutive games.
- Coming off a serious injury players often have a slow start, a shoulder injury is especially likely to impact a contested ball winner as well, just look at Cripps last year.

I think it is a very much heart over head pick.

I’m sure a lot of players are rooting for Rowelly! I know I am!

crowls

Quote from: dmac07 on February 02, 2021, 04:17:18 PM

with you dmac,  a rational review highlights more potential downsides than upsides.  he might be a unicorn but unlikely.   still the kid is that good it hurts if he comes out and avgs 130-140 for first 8 games in 2021.    i dont see him making keeper status this year and will need to be traded at some stage

hawkers65

I really like Zerrett in his contract year. We've seen countless players in their contract year go crazy lately. One of the best kicks in the comp. Just racks up the pill. Can see 120+.

enzedder

Quote from: hawkers65 on February 08, 2021, 03:53:36 PM
I really like Zerrett in his contract year. We've seen countless players in their contract year go crazy lately. One of the best kicks in the comp. Just racks up the pill. Can see 120+.
Has the runs on the board and can go big. Likely to be one of the best mids again.
No issues with his role and has one of the better records with regards to durability, pre-season status etc.
His bye coincides with Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn, WCE and Richmond. When looking at those teams’ midfield line ups the SC players one might consider are the host of WB players who may be avoided given the uncertainty of where they might play and how that will impact on their points, Titch who had post season surgery and an a less than ideal pre season as a consequence, Cripps who had post season surgery like Titch on his shoulder, Walsh who is a second year player, Neale who is expensive but probably a must have, McLuggage who isn’t an absolute top premo yet but could rise further, the Richmond mids aren’t really an option and it is questionable if the Eagles’ ones are too but Gaff and Yeo have some merit... so to me having Neale and Zerrett alongside him works just fine I’d say.

hawkers65

Quote from: enzedder on February 08, 2021, 05:09:12 PM
Has the runs on the board and can go big. Likely to be one of the best mids again.
No issues with his role and has one of the better records with regards to durability, pre-season status etc.
His bye coincides with Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn, WCE and Richmond. When looking at those teams’ midfield line ups the SC players one might consider are the host of WB players who may be avoided given the uncertainty of where they might play and how that will impact on their points, Titch who had post season surgery and an a less than ideal pre season as a consequence, Cripps who had post season surgery like Titch on his shoulder, Walsh who is a second year player, Neale who is expensive but probably a must have, McLuggage who isn’t an absolute top premo yet but could rise further, the Richmond mids aren’t really an option and it is questionable if the Eagles’ ones are too but Gaff and Yeo have some merit... so to me having Neale and Zerrett alongside him works just fine I’d say.

To be honest, the only flaw for Merrett for me was the bye as I see both Neale and Crippa as must haves. Even when I had Crippa out for a little while it was for Walsh so bye is always an issue having 3 out of your 4/5 gun mids out.

The other thing is since his original breakout year there's always been something wrong or that has interrupted him. Has gotten unlucky with concussions and what not. I just feel like he's due one year where everything clicks and what better year to do it when you  have all other Melbourne clubs sniffing around. I can see us Hawks going after him very hard.

bowyanger

We have seen a few players spud it up in contract year as well recently.....like JCameron & BCrouch last year....I think Sloane was a bit below par as well if I remember correctly - and he stayed
If he signs before Rd 1 (already said he wont) then I would get him in no worries....