2021 Ruck Options

Started by crowls, December 22, 2020, 09:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Quote from: dmac07 on February 02, 2021, 12:11:28 AM
One other legitimate option, even though most are putting him forward, is Marshall. I'm thinking about Grundy Marshall. Then swapping a topped out forward to Gawn at the byes by shifting Marshall forward.

The advantage of Marshall is being able to start him forward in case you need ruck cover for an odd one week injury/suspension. Starting him in the ruck loses that coverage.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 02, 2021, 12:15:23 AM
Quote from: dmac07 on February 02, 2021, 12:11:28 AM
One other legitimate option, even though most are putting him forward, is Marshall. I'm thinking about Grundy Marshall. Then swapping a topped out forward to Gawn at the byes by shifting Marshall forward.

The advantage of Marshall is being able to start him forward in case you need ruck cover for an odd one week injury/suspension. Starting him in the ruck loses that coverage.

Yep, and what's this topped out forward to Gawn plan look like?

Mat0369

My best guess would be your Ziebell pick, but it's easier to sideways to a Zorko than grab Gawn.

While Gawn will drop I don't think it's going to be that much. He was  otherworldly last season and for those that wanted to bring him in you were looking around 700k. The Petracca inclusion into the midfiled was huge and it saw him get a ton of taps to advantage when you had Trac and Oliver at his feet. You also don't have the Preuss factor anymore and Jackson/Brown are pinch hitters at best.

Grundy is a different beast. There were games last year down the stretch where Cameron became the favoured ruck for the Pies. Cameron is still there and there might be games that this limits his output. The amount of minutes that he has rucked over the last few years might be starting to take a toll and 120ish may be his ceiling now. Still elite, but probably easier to grab down the track. His game is different to Gawn's since he relies on getting to contests and winning the ball himself to get those scores up.

shaker

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 01, 2021, 11:09:40 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 01, 2021, 05:33:41 PM
Quote from: Money Shot on February 01, 2021, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 01, 2021, 02:26:05 PM
Don't complicate it

Gawn, Grundy and Preuss are the only rucks to consider
Couldn’t agree more.
Well said and agree. Just need to work out which one to partner Preuss. Will Gawn drop enough to enable upgrade given his nice early draw verse Grundy will he bounce back after 2020?  Suspect the upgrade after the Round 14 bye which Gawn and Grundy share.

I've started GG for the last 3 years iirc, so not starting one of them feels so wrong, but at this stage as much as it pains me, I'm not starting Gawn

The only logic I am using is that Gawn won't back up 140 with normal length quarters, so should drop in price where as Grundy is capable of backing up 120

Grundy was absolutely gassed last year - you could see how buggered he was, so I'm backing him to bounce back

I think Preuss is capable of going 90ish, but we just need him to A) Stay fit, and B) punch out the odd 120 to crank up the cash gen, and then he should be able to hit 500k+, and Gawn could drop to 650kish, so Preuss to Gawn shouldn't be too hard

That's perfect world stuff though, so definitely a risk - Preuss could get injured etc, but that's where I stand atm
Don't know that Grundy was gassed last year although the games were thick and fast everyone was in the same boat it come out of the club that Grundy did not handle the hub life one little bit so think that was the cause of his drop off so he is on my radar this year but with covid and constant border closures any sign of clubs going into hubs again will be a rethink.

IntegralX

The thing with Preuss is he gets Marshall, Gawn and Grundy all in the first 4 weeks. That has made me sour on him, I've gone for Naismith instead for now.

crowls

Quote from: IntegralX on February 04, 2021, 03:38:47 PM
The thing with Preuss is he gets Marshall, Gawn and Grundy all in the first 4 weeks. That has made me sour on him, I've gone for Naismith instead for now.
I don't understand this thinking.   It is not unusual for both teams rucks to score well.   I believe Preuss is likely to average 100+ even over the first 4 games.   

shaker

Quote from: crowls on February 04, 2021, 09:35:52 PM
I don't understand this thinking.   It is not unusual for both teams rucks to score well.   I believe Preuss is likely to average 100+ even over the first 4 games.   
Looking at previous history which is a small sample size over 3 years I can only find 2 games over 100 out of 18 but a lot of those he was sharing the ruck and playing fwd. I'm guessing GWS got him to be the No.1 ruck but Mummy is still there , he could go 100+ or he could go 80 against some quality opponents think I will start someone else and see how he goes it is always easier to downgrade to him before a price rise than it is to upgrade to another if he flops.

IntegralX

Quote from: crowls on February 04, 2021, 09:35:52 PM

This is true last season when Ruck scoring was wildly inflated across the board but this hasn't been the case in the past (at least against the elite rucks)

bowyanger

Not going near any Pies players to start with - the clubs a shambles at the moment - I want to see how theyre playing say round 5 so Im not starting Grundy

Gawn is really expensive but is perhaps worth it for the Captain and VC play - will probably come in before Rd 1 if my other players pick up a pre season niggle or a heap of rookies debut rd 1

At the moment I have Draper and Pruess and strongly considering Windscreens O'Brien

I think Draper will increase in value, if I can squeeze a 50K increase, and get Gawn 50K less early then Im happy

timtim

Quote from: bowyanger on February 08, 2021, 07:30:23 PM
Not going near any Pies players to start with - the clubs a shambles at the moment - I want to see how theyre playing say round 5 so Im not starting Grundy

Gawn is really expensive but is perhaps worth it for the Captain and VC play - will probably come in before Rd 1 if my other players pick up a pre season niggle or a heap of rookies debut rd 1

At the moment I have Draper and Pruess and strongly considering Windscreens O'Brien

I think Draper will increase in value, if I can squeeze a 50K increase, and get Gawn 50K less early then Im happy

The problem with upgrading to Gawn is that he’ll cost you two trades unless you start the year with 150-200k in the bank

Sure he’ll lose $ but it’s always # of trades that runs out before the cash does each year

Ingram

Toying with Gawn and Preuss. Easier to bring in Grundy or whoever is R2, with Marshall forward it keeps the door open if he's the no. 2.

Means starting Dunkley/Martin/Marshall fwd rather then just 2 premo.

Money Shot

The more I think about it the more I think Gawn/Grundy is the way to go.

Preuss represents great value but Gawn and Grundy will be so hard to get in so it might be best to just start with them.

I didn’t start Lloyd last year because I thought I’d get him cheaper in the season... that didn’t happen.

I am officially all aboard the Grundy/Gawn train.

/////////////////////////

Quote from: crowls on December 22, 2020, 09:05:30 PM
Preuss playing full time is capable of 100-120 depending on how he beds down.  Ripe to breakout.

Absolute certainty to average at least 120.

Sabretooth Tigers

Quote from: Money Shot on February 10, 2021, 07:48:22 PM
The more I think about it the more I think Gawn/Grundy is the way to go.

Preuss represents great value but Gawn and Grundy will be so hard to get in so it might be best to just start with them.

I didn’t start Lloyd last year because I thought I’d get him cheaper in the season... that didn’t happen.

I am officially all aboard the Grundy/Gawn train.

;)

Totally agree MS. Best two rucks and good captain options. And could be almost impossible to trade in if we don't get gifted with a decent crop of playing rookies !!!!

:)

RoughRed

So now the GG combination moves to the fore.
But is it Gawn/Grundy
Or maybe
Grundy/Goldy?
Gold has averaged 112 the past 2 seasons so not shabby, yes another year older but .. just thinking .... that extra cash (over Gawn) could be useful given the possible impact of no Marshall, with so many playing him as a forward