2021 Ruck Options

Started by crowls, December 22, 2020, 09:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IntegralX

I would suggest that Briggs showed enough today to be given first crack at the top job at GWS. He looked solid against an (albeit mediocre) AFL quality ruck.

Samsturmfels

Quote from: IntegralX on March 08, 2021, 12:00:23 AM
I would suggest that Briggs showed enough today to be given first crack at the top job at GWS. He looked solid against an (albeit mediocre) AFL quality ruck.
I didnt watch the game but 5 disposals is pretty shower. Not sure how he'd get a game before flynn

Mat0369

Quote from: Samsturmfels on March 08, 2021, 12:23:07 AM
I didnt watch the game but 5 disposals is pretty shower. Not sure how he'd get a game before flynn

This is why

He absolutely took Hickey to the cleaners, particularly in the first quarter.

Ringo

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 08, 2021, 12:47:22 AM
Quote from: Samsturmfels
b]I didnt watch the game[/b] but 5 disposals is pretty shower. Not sure how he'd get a game before flynn

This is why

Will not always get 5 frees in a half though. Hickey was shower.

Samsturmfels

Quote from: Ringo on March 08, 2021, 11:22:17 AM
Quote from: Mat0369 on March 08, 2021, 12:47:22 AM
Quote from: Samsturmfels
b]I didnt watch the game[/b] but 5 disposals is pretty shower. Not sure how he'd get a game before flynn

This is why

Will not always get 5 frees in a half though. Hickey was shower.
yeah isnt exactly a dominant ruckman, even the commentators were questioning why he was playing ahead of sinclair. Flynn was also really good the week before.

Money Shot

Is anyone concerned about the rucks scoring a little bit lower than previous years?

Really making me consider going light in the rucks Draper/Martin etc

I guess the reasoning behind it is that there could potentially be less ball ups and more free flowing play etc because of the new rules!

I think I’ve finally started going crazy cos of preseason and need you guys to talk some sense into me!

Bully

Quote from: Money Shot on March 08, 2021, 09:02:12 PM
Is anyone concerned about the rucks scoring a little bit lower than previous years?

I guess the reasoning behind it is that there could potentially be less ball ups and more free flowing play etc because of the new rules!

I think I’ve finally started going crazy cos of preseason and need you guys to talk some sense into me!

Just need to get the 2 best rucks from the get go.

bkimm32

Quote from: Bully on March 08, 2021, 09:17:40 PM

He makes a good point though. While Grundy and Gawn might be the clear cut 2 best rucks, if ruck scoring is down due to less stoppages, then they will fall in price. It may be a good season to start cheaper rucks and get Grundy and Gawn in when they bottom out.

I’m personally starting them both at this stage, but it is something to think about for sure.

Money Shot

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 09, 2021, 11:04:57 AM

He makes a good point though. While Grundy and Gawn might be the clear cut 2 best rucks, if ruck scoring is down due to less stoppages, then they will fall in price. It may be a good season to start cheaper rucks and get Grundy and Gawn in when they bottom out.

I’m personally starting them both at this stage, but it is something to think about for sure.
I played around with going cheaper in the rucks and although it does make the rest of my team so much stronger it’s such a risk to take!

Don’t think I have the balls to do it personally.

Bully

Quote from: Money Shot on March 09, 2021, 02:35:52 PM

I played around with going cheaper in the rucks and although it does make the rest of my team so much stronger it’s such a risk to take!

The aim is to get the two best rucks, I think there's little chance it won't be Gawn & Grundy. If you are keen to free cash up I would trade Neale to Bont/Macrae/Oliver/Fyfe/Kelly. Neale will almost certainly come down in price, I'm tipping a 120 season & will be planning to get him as my first upgrade. Slightly risky but something has to give.

bkimm32

Quote from: Bully on March 09, 2021, 02:43:16 PM

The aim is to get the two best rucks, I think there's little chance it won't be Gawn & Grundy. If you are keen to free cash up I would trade Neale to Bont/Macrae/Oliver/Fyfe/Kelly. Neale will almost certainly come down in price, I'm tipping a 120 season & will be planning to get him as my first upgrade. Slightly risky but something has to give.

I’m thinking of doing similar with Neale, although he’s in my team right now and I’m fairly happy with it, so he might stay. It would be good to get him a bit cheaper later on but who knows if that will even happen. Could come out of the blocks with a few 140s, which is just as likely than him scoring less than 120s.

Bully

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 09, 2021, 03:04:18 PM
Quote from: Bully on March 09, 2021, 02:43:16 PM

I’m thinking of doing similar with Neale, although he’s in my team right now and I’m fairly happy with it, so he might stay. It would be good to get him a bit cheaper later on but who knows if that will even happen. Could come out of the blocks with a few 140s, which is just as likely than him scoring less than 120s.

Neale to Bont allows me to go Heeney to Dunkley, that is a positive move IMO. Even if Neale does go 140 he won't go up in price. On the other hand, a slowish start could see him drop 70-80k in quick time. This is a calculated move, the risk is the captain scores but I'm happy enough to leave that to Gawn & Macrae.

SilverLion

Been thinking on the ruck situation for a while now.

There are really only two premo options:

• Gawn - $751,400
  • Grundy - $648,200

There are however, 5 rookie options:

• Fullartion (R/F) - $128,900
  • Flynn - $123,900
  • Meek - $123,900
  • Hunter - $102,400
  • Treacy (R/F) - $102,400

My thinking, is that one of Gawn/Grundy is required, and Treacy (even though he is suspended) is a logical choice either at R3 or F8 for a loophole option.

I've opted for Gawn over Grundy, but that's personal preference.

The tough decision is what to do with R2/3.

Fullarton - Seems the most secure of the rookies, but perhaps the lowest ceiling.

Flynn - The most secure of the rookies that will play as the first choice ruck.

Meek/Hunter - Likely both temporary options until Darcy/Ryder come back. But hard to say for sure. Meek in particular looked good in the AAMI game.

With all that considered, I've gone with Gawn, Flynn, Fullarton, with Treacy at F8. Though I'm tempted to bring in Meek at R3, and put Fullarton at F7, but I thinking having that R/F coverage makes sense.

Bully

With Treacy out for two I'm considering a restructure, thinking of trading Short to Docherty & moving Fullarton to F8. Think he makes enough while McStay is out.

R3 Flynn, Briggs at D8 just in case.

Meek looks good but Darcy has always been the number 1 guy. That may change of course but I'd rather do a correction trade if need be.

Could potentially look at Fullarton to Treacy round 5, just have to wait and see.

Ringo

Just need to hope that McStays return is closer to the 6 weeks mentioned in the injury listings and not 3 weeks to get maximum gain from Fullarton. In saying that I am playing Fullarton on field.