Highly Selected Players

Started by LordSneeze, February 19, 2020, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

I think it's legit concern this year - deciding on how many top end players to start, and thinking about whether or not we should maybe start a few keepers who are a little cheaper

If we start with 12-13 keepers, then it's going to be pushing it to get a complete side with 22 prems, whilst factoring in injuries and correction trades

Most of us want to start 4 600k+ mids, but maybe we need to look at starting 2-3 and starting 1-2 guys in the 500-600k range

Same down back, maybe look at starting 1 500k+, 1 450k+ guy and Docherty?

I think it's a real thing to consider - because if we can start with 14 keepers somehow, that will certainly make getting a full side of 22 keepers more achievable

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 20, 2020, 12:00:57 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 20, 2020, 10:37:02 AM
I disagree slightly with Colleys analysis of trades.  Usually when bringing in a prem a trade is usually 1 up and 1 down so assume you start with 12 that means 20 trades and say an extra 2 to get cash if not having sufficient cash for the one up one down leaving 8 trades to use.  I usually work on this base to try and have a couple of trades left for finals.
I currently have Roberton and Smith in my team and if they are not scoring well enough to retain as D6/F6 they will be the last traded hopefully with one trade. Thats the plan but as we know luck is required to keep to plans.

Good luck doing 1 up 1 down when turning a mid rookie into a 550k+ prem

My calculation is 2 trades for Defenders and Forwards, and 3 trades for Midfielders (2 down / 1 up).

I currently have 12 Keepers & require 23 trades to complete my team.

(I don't have Dev Smith or J. Steven / I do have Roberton, but don't count him as a keeper - though I may upgrade him last, and treat it as a luxury trade).

Obviously, nothing ever goes to plan... but I like to have a picture of how I could optimally complete my team, and then make adjustments before the season starts.

I'm seriously considering getting in Dev. Smith as a Keeper (even though I don't believe in the pick), simply to have 13 Keepers, thereby getting the trades I need to complete my team down to 21.

This is the point I was making earlier: if I get Dev. Smith, it's as a keeper. This season we're not going to have the 2-4 trades we usually have for corrections.   

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 20, 2020, 12:10:27 PM
I think it's legit concern this year - deciding on how many top end players to start, and thinking about whether or not we should maybe start a few keepers who are a little cheaper

If we start with 12-13 keepers, then it's going to be pushing it to get a complete side with 22 prems, whilst factoring in injuries and correction trades

Most of us want to start 4 600k+ mids, but maybe we need to look at starting 2-3 and starting 1-2 guys in the 500-600k range

I think it's a real thing to consider - because if we can start with 14 keepers somehow, that will certainly make getting a full side of 22 keepers less achievable

Spot on RD.

I've been banging my head... trying to figure out where to get the cash from: M5; R2; F3.

Maybe the best solution is to get the cash by having a couple of premium mids (Kelly; Conigs etc.) rather than 4 or 5 ultra-premium  600K+ mids.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 20, 2020, 12:17:23 PM
Spot on RD.

I've been banging my head... trying to figure out where to get the cash from: M5; R2; F3.

Maybe the best solution is to get the cash by having a couple of premium mids (Kelly; Conigs etc.) rather than 4 or 5 ultra-premium  600K+ mids.

Yeah I think this might be the way to go

We'd likely start the season off a little slower compared to those teams that have the higher priced guns, but we would also likely make up that ground at the business end, and probably be in a better position to not run out of trades

Certainly something I am going to toy around with now

_wato

I have 13 keepers including Smith and 14 if I include Jack Steven. Am thinking of turning him into Tommy Lynch but that doesn’t change the overall amount of keepers.

That’s also including the fact I haven’t stooged on premo guys apart from the forward line in terms of spending.

LordSneeze

12 but with neither Smith or Steven in the team.

My Backup option would have 14

Ringo

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 20, 2020, 12:00:57 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 20, 2020, 10:37:02 AM
I disagree slightly with Colleys analysis of trades.  Usually when bringing in a prem a trade is usually 1 up and 1 down so assume you start with 12 that means 20 trades and say an extra 2 to get cash if not having sufficient cash for the one up one down leaving 8 trades to use.  I usually work on this base to try and have a couple of trades left for finals.
I currently have Roberton and Smith in my team and if they are not scoring well enough to retain as D6/F6 they will be the last traded hopefully with one trade. Thats the plan but as we know luck is required to keep to plans.

Good luck doing 1 up 1 down when turning a mid rookie into a 550k+ prem
Fair comment but that was the purpsoe of the additional 2 trades.  I am expecting Rowell to be able to be part of one up one down and maybe Pickett as well.  But agree with the comments trades will have to be spot on this year as we will not have the spares this year.

RaisyDaisy

So it seems the norm is 12 true keepers, plus the likes of Dev, Steven, Robbo etc

Colley Dogs

I've had a play, and put together a team with 14 Keepers / 19 trades to complete.

So that's better.

But only 10 keepers can be considered ultra-premium or safe premium picks. 4 of the keepers are quite speculative.

The 14 keepers include Dev Smith / I have Roberton, but haven't counted him as a keeper.

From the get-go, this team will score pretty much the same as my '12 keeper / 23 trades to complete' team; possibly even 10-20 points better.

Pros:
4 more trades

Cons
Going to be stuck with the 4 speculative picks, like Dev Smith, regardless of how they score.

But I'm starting to think a flatter premium line gives higher expected value across the season (as it allows for better play action during the trading cycle).

*Team posted in Supercoach Team Advice*

frenzy

Quote from: LordSneeze on February 20, 2020, 03:00:06 PM
12 but with neither Smith or Steven in the team.

My Backup option would have 14

^ same, just 12

MontyJnr

I think it's a real thing to consider - because if we can start with 14 keepers somehow, that will certainly make getting a full side of 22 keepers more achievable

Selecting premium mids in the 500-600k range is a recipe for disaster IMO

Unless it's an underpriced superstar returning from injury, players in the 500-600k range tend to drive you insane averaging 95-100 whilst anchoring down your M8 position all season eg. Matt Crouch or Dusty in 2019.

There is the occasional diamond (ie. Bont 2019), but it's a massive gamble attempting to successfully nail the right guy.

Personally, I wouldn't be going any cheaper than Oliver at 593k.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: MontyJnr on February 28, 2020, 03:50:38 PM

Unless it's an underpriced superstar returning from injury, players in the 500-600k range tend to drive you insane averaging 95-100 whilst anchoring down your M8 position all season eg. Matt Crouch or Dusty in 2019.

There is the occasional diamond (ie. Bont 2019), but it's a massive gamble attempting to successfully nail the right guy.

Yeah, if I was to go cheaper it would be in def or fwd - since posting that I just cannot see a single mid under Oliver that interests me

frenzy

[/quote]

Yeah, if I was to go cheaper it would be in def or fwd - since posting that I just cannot see a single mid under Oliver that interests me
[/quote]

Thank goodness there's eleven above him.  :D

tigertops

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 28, 2020, 04:15:31 PM
Quote from: MontyJnr on February 28, 2020, 03:50:38 PM

Tim Kelly

_wato

Yeo ^^^ if I was going 6 prems he’d be next in for sure.

Just can’t ditch any of the 5 guys I have in front of him.