How many Keepers / How many Trades to complete your team?

Started by Colley Dogs, February 15, 2020, 06:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colley Dogs

No ifs or buts...

Assuming:
- 2 trades (one down-one up) for Def & For Rookies; and 3 trades (two down-one up) for Mid Rookies
- Docherty, J. Steven, D. Smith are Keepers
- Roberton & Doedee are cash cows (based on price, not potential)

I have:

12 Keepers

I need:

23 Trades to complete my team

--

I WANT:

13 Keepers (but cannot find it)

(Ps feel free to challenge my assumptions)

Chrispy75

I currently have 12 keepers.

My team would likely need 24 trades as per your assumptions.

With current rookie situation, not sure if you can get to 13 keepers without some questionable rookie selections.  Only need a 123k mid to turn up and I could make my team with 13 keepers (change one of Doedee/Roberton to Steven/Smith)

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Chrispy75 on February 15, 2020, 07:03:59 PM
With current rookie situation, not sure if you can get to 13 keepers without some questionable rookie selections.  Only need a 123k mid to turn up and I could make my team with 13 keepers (change one of Doedee/Roberton to Steven/Smith)

Agree.

We seriously need another couple of Rookies to show themselves during the Marsh series.

Problem is, we need another mid-pricer to turn up as well (I mean other than J. Steven / D. Smith). The only current mid-pricer I trust as a keeper is Docherty.

In past years 13 -14 Keepers was possible because of the mid-pricer options. You took 2 - 4 and only needed one or two to deliver. This year I see Docherty being the only mid-pricer with the potential of delivering the goods.

This season feels like an anomaly: not enough mid-pricers; not enough trustworthy 117k - 123k Rookies.

Assuming 4 - 6 trades for injuries, and 1 - 2 correction trades, I'm predicting most will end up with incomplete teams at the end of the season.

(I also predict the ones who are right about D. Smith & J. Steven are going to be way ahead... or way behind. Having a strong view on these two players is important, and shouldn't be be taken as a gamble i.e. if they come off, cool, if they don't come off, I'll trade them up. You need to be clear they're selected as Keepers, and only traded out if they're injured).

eaglesman

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 15, 2020, 06:48:39 PM
No ifs or buts...

Assuming:
- 2 trades (one down-one up) for Def & For Rookies; and 3 trades (two down-one up) for Mid Rookies
- Docherty, J. Steven, D. Smith are Keepers
- Roberton & Doedee are cash cows (based on price, not potential)

I have:

12 Keepers

I need:

23 Trades to complete my team

--

I WANT:

13 Keepers (but cannot find it)

(Ps feel free to challenge my assumptions)

13 keepers here.

Not sure you can count the number of trades to complete however

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 15, 2020, 07:19:36 PM
In past years 13 -14 Keepers was possible because of the mid-pricer options. You took 2 - 4 and only needed one or two to deliver. This year I see Docherty being the only mid-pricer with the potential of delivering the goods.

13-14 was possible because rucks didn't cost 700k and our M2-5 guys were 615k and less

12-13 this year is because you really need to fork up for GG, and there's a pretty clear gap between the 600k+ mids and the rest below them

13-14 is possible this year, but you just won't have the best

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 15, 2020, 07:54:35 PM

13-14 was possible because rucks didn't cost 700k and our M2-5 guys were 615k and less

12-13 this year is because you really need to fork up for GG, and there's a pretty clear gap between the 600k+ mids and the rest below them

Look I have grundy Gawn, bur if there was ever a year to gamble without 1 of them and go with sauce this is the year. Unbelievable mids at his feet and pretty easy run to start the year. That price gap could close pretty quickly.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 15, 2020, 07:54:35 PM

I still maintain the issue is the lack of viable mid-piced keepers...

Yes, there are two 700K rucks this season... but that's offset by most opting against the 550K+ defenders, having only one 550k+ forward, and a top priced mid of only 668k.

But really... the reason we're struggling to field 13 - 14 keepers is not that important.

What's important is how it affects our strategy.

Imo... if we're going to require more trades than usual to complete our teams, we need to take fewer risks. That's why I'm going with 12 keepers that are very much unquestionable locks in their respective positions, with Docherty as my only mid-priced keeper, and Roberton/Doedee as my only mid-priced cash cow (and no D. Smith / J. Steven).

This is the year to play things with a straight bat, and let your personality come out during in-season trading. 

Pretty boring and cookie cutter. But from a strategic pov, the rule is simple: the fewer keepers, the more conservative you need to be; the more keepers, the more aggressive you can be.

Money Shot

13 keepers for me.

I do have Doch, Steven and Smith who think are keepers.

Mat0369

I have 13 and one stepping stone in Nic Nat. I'm including Doc, Steven, Dev and Howe as keepers.

IntegralX

14 keepers (including Smith) and Roberton. Let's say ~20 trades to complete my team in theory, plus one more to get Gawn (if necessary).

Ringo

Quote from: IntegralX on February 16, 2020, 10:05:40 PM
14 keepers (including Smith) and Roberton. Let's say ~20 trades to complete my team in theory, plus one more to get Gawn (if necessary).
Same with Dev Smith and Roberton included.

IntegralX

Quote from: Ringo on February 17, 2020, 09:56:09 AM
Quote from: IntegralX on February 16, 2020, 10:05:40 PM
Same with Dev Smith and Roberton included.

I should've been more clear; I see Smith as a keeper however not Roberton. Including Roberton would bring me up to 15 keepers.

dmac07

Currently 13 keepers, which is my magic number I aim for every year.

My cheapest keeper however is Docherty, so 13 keepers I'm satisfied with, no Steven, Smith, Roberton (though all pre-season watch lists).

Colley Dogs

Quote from: dmac07 on February 17, 2020, 06:55:53 PM
Currently 13 keepers, which is my magic number I aim for every year.

My cheapest keeper however is Docherty, so 13 keepers I'm satisfied with, no Steven, Smith, Roberton (though all pre-season watch lists).

Sounds strong!