Cheapest Keeper & most expensive Cash Cow

Started by Colley Dogs, February 06, 2020, 09:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colley Dogs

Quote from: eaglesman on February 09, 2020, 11:09:20 AM

Or you pick aiden bonar at f3 and enjoy slow price rises in your forward line. (I just went Steven to bonar for a look and went Houston to jkelly/dunkley)

I have Bonar at F3 as well.

Would only change him up if the cash came from downgrading Gawn.

I feel more comfortable with 5 sparkling Mids. There's just less uncertainty around the core group of ultra premium mids compared to the forwards and defenders.

RaisyDaisy

Bonar at F3 is nuts lol

I wouldn't even put him at F4 let alone F3!

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 09, 2020, 04:07:44 PM
Bonar at F3 is nuts lol

I wouldn't even put him at F4 let alone F3!

For me, at this point, it's more about the structure and less about the individual players. We can tussle over the players later.

Replace Bonar with premium Rookie at F3

(You're more than likely right about Bonar btw)

But the money has to come from somewhere.

I have:

2 prem Defenders + Docherty
5 ultra premium midfielders
GG
Whitfield; Dusty

With this structure the money's coming from F3, no questions asked. It's the position with the least guarantees. Who the heck knows what Devon Smith's going to score, and whether Jack Steven will play enough footy to justify the pick. I understand why people are selecting them, but I have doubts.

(I do have eight 140K+ Rookies, so that's an issue. I could scrape some cash from there to strengthen F3; but I just don't like any of the mid-priced Forward options)

Otherwise, the cash must come from M5 (e.g. Houston, as we chatted about yesterday)
Or R2 ROB

In your spine, at Forwards, you have D. Smith & Hill.

I'm assuming Smith is F3 and Hill is F4. Is that right?

I gather then you've invested a little less than me in your Rookie group. Which is smart. I hope they come off.

I have Bonar at F3, not because I like him per se, but because I don't have faith in D. Smith and the collection of 117K - 123K Rookies a lot of people are fielding. There are a handful, for sure, but not enough. I think we'll need to invest in 2-3 more 140K+ rookies than we normally do.

I hope I'm wrong as it will make things a whole lot easier.

I'm probably going to end up with Smith or Steven as a blocking play. We can all fail or succeed together. I don't want my whole season resting on a weird differential at F3.

But it's what I have at the moment.

RaisyDaisy

I've got Rowell at M5, which allows me to ensure all other lines are solid

I really want 5 prem mids but it just impacts other lines too much

Lloyd, Laird, Docherty, Doedee, Roberton, Rookie

Whitfield, Dusty, Heeney, Dev, Hill, Rookie

Not relying on def and fwd rookies on field - will field Rowell + 3 mid rookies

meow meow

Picking Doc as a keeper. Paying up for Young
Hanners + Sier
Picking TJ as a keeper. Weightman

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 09, 2020, 07:24:00 PM

I want the 5 prem mids as well but I don’t believe there are enough mis rookies available for this. I I think Rowell at m5 is a big gamble. Struggling to see playing midfield bench rookies aye.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: eaglesman on February 09, 2020, 10:47:54 PM

I want the 5 prem mids as well but I don’t believe there are enough mis rookies available for this. I I think Rowell at m5 is a big gamble. Struggling to see playing midfield bench rookies aye.

If need be, I can move Heeney to M5 and bring in another fwd rookie

We'll have a clearer idea of what rookies look like playing (and being half decent scorers) and then adjust accordingly

Either way, 5 600k mids (Plus GG) just makes another line/s too weak imo

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 09, 2020, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on February 09, 2020, 10:47:54 PM

If need be, I can move Heeney to M5 and bring in another fwd rookie

We'll have a clearer idea of what rookies look like playing (and being half decent scorers) and then adjust accordingly

Either way, 5 600k mids (Plus GG) just makes another line/s too weak imo

You mean someone like Bonar at F3?

Haha just joking RD  ;D

duffercoat

There's a lot more forwards with top 6 potential than people are giving credit. Outside of young breakout contenders (brayshaw, smith etc) there is also:

Ceglar (if McEvoy is used in defence averages 95+)
Ebert (averaged 100 from 6 games pre-concussion)
R. Gray (long history of 90-100+)
Gunston (history of 90+)
Wingard (history of 90+ and ended 2019 strong)
T Mcdonald (history of 90+ including 97 in 2018)
Hawkins (100avg in 2018)

Each of these guys has history that shows they can score well enough to be in the top echelon of forwards if they play their best footy. I can't advocate picking any of them right now, but it does dissuade me from dev and steven as theres a lot of options up forward.

eaglesman

Quote from: duffercoat on February 10, 2020, 03:11:50 PM
There's a lot more forwards with top 6 potential than people are giving credit. Outside of young breakout contenders (brayshaw, smith etc) there is also:

Gunston (history of 90+)
Hawkins (100avg in 2018)

Each of these guys has history that shows they can score well enough to be in the top echelon of forwards if they play their best footy. I can't advocate picking any of them right now, but it does dissuade me from dev and steven as theres a lot of options up forward.

I must admit one of these blokes in particular looks a great pick but bit of water to go under the bridge yet.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: eaglesman on February 10, 2020, 08:02:48 PM

Gunston (history of 90+)
Hawkins (100avg in 2018)

I must admit one of these blokes in particular looks a great pick but bit of water to go under the bridge yet.

The problem is though, picking the right one

I'm avoiding the guessing games - Whitfield, Dusty and Heeney starting for me, then I can pick off the rest based on who is looking best as the season goes on

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 10, 2020, 08:16:40 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on February 10, 2020, 08:02:48 PM

Gunston (history of 90+)
Hawkins (100avg in 2018)

The problem is though, picking the right one

I'm avoiding the guessing games - Whitfield, Dusty and Heeney starting for me, then I can pick off the rest based on who is looking best as the season goes on

RD, your team interests me. I'm pretty set on a particular structure... (you can see on SC Team Advice: I posted my team tonight).

But your comments make me consider another structure that's worth pursuing i.e. Heeney at F3 (with Rowell at M5).

I have a template for this structure (with Cockatoo as a mid Rookie); which effectively means Heeney at M5 and Bonar at F3  :)

What makes this attractive to me is fielding BOTH Doedee and Roberton after Docherty @ D3.

However: it seems you also have D. Smith @ F4?

May I ask: who is your M4? (mine is Oliver)

Are you posting your team on SC Team Advice this season?

Cheers, CD.

RaisyDaisy

I'm not posting a team at the moment because honestly, I just don't see the point

It's still super early and it will change another 50 times before now and Round 1, so I'm just playing around with things and waiting for Marsh Series to start

As for the current line-up, Oliver is M4 but I'm not certain on how I want to set up my forward line now, so just going to wait and see

Ideally, I start both Heeney and Dev. I've been pretty low on Dev and never really thought much of him for SC, but he seems to be having a ripper summer whilst most of their mids aren't, so that coupled with his price has me looking to now start him

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 11, 2020, 11:57:38 PM
I'm not posting a team at the moment because honestly, I just don't see the point

It's still super early and it will change another 50 times before now and Round 1, so I'm just playing around with things and waiting for Marsh Series to start

As for the current line-up, Oliver is M4 but I'm not certain on how I want to set up my forward line now, so just going to wait and see

Ideally, I start both Heeney and Dev. I've been pretty low on Dev and never really thought much of him for SC, but he seems to be having a ripper summer whilst most of their mids aren't, so that coupled with his price has me looking to now start him

Totally understand. Thanks man!  :)

Money Shot

Docherty (D2) - Doedee/Robertson/Hill (D3-D5)
Dunkley (M5)- Rowell (M6)
Grundy/Gawn
Smith (F4) - Rankine/King (F5-F6)

Going really cheap down back this year as there seems to be a lot of value at this stage anyways.