Cheapest Keeper & most expensive Cash Cow

Started by Colley Dogs, February 06, 2020, 09:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colley Dogs

Would be interested in getting a feel for the spine of people's teams.

My Cheapest Keeper & most expensive Cash Cow for each line:

Def: Docherty (D3) / Doedee (D4)

Mid: Oliver (M5) / Rowell (M6)

Ruc: Gawn (R2) / NA

For: Martin (F2) / Bonar (F3)

eaglesman

Docherty Roberton
Oliver Rowell
O’Brien ....
Steven hill

Colley Dogs

Quote from: eaglesman on February 06, 2020, 10:55:38 PM
Docherty Roberton
Oliver Rowell
O’Brien ....
Steven hill

Is Steven F3?

That's interesting you have Hill on the Fwd line (I have him in defence).

How everyone handles the forward line is what's interesting.

LordSneeze

Doc, Steven are Mid Pricers not Keepers.

Yes they may turn into Keepers, but picking them right now they are not.

jvalles69

Def: Docherty (D2) / Hill (D4)

Mid: Oliver (M5) / Rowell (M6)

Ruc: Gawn (R2) / NA

For: Smith (F4) / Frampton (F5)

120K in the bank

jvalles69

QuoteDoc, Steven are Mid Pricers not Keepers.

I think he means anticipated keepers.

hawkboy80

DEF    S. Docherty   D. Roberton

MID    C. Oliver   M. Rowell

RUCK  R. Marshall

FWD   D. Smith     S. Hill

RoughRed

DEF    Docherty   Doedee

MID   Oliver   Starcevich

RUCK  Marshall

FWD   Brayshaw Bonar

frenzy

Quote from: RoughRed on February 07, 2020, 09:17:18 PM
DEF    Docherty   Doedee

MID   Oliver   Starcevich

RUCK  Marshall

FWD   Brayshaw Bonar

Hmmm that's different, makes me feel better now.

Def; Doc D5, Gould D6

Mids; Menegola M4, Rowell M5

Ruc. N/A GG

Fwd; Tmac F4, Devon F5

Colley Dogs

Quote from: LordSneeze on February 07, 2020, 11:58:17 AM
Doc, Steven are Mid Pricers not Keepers.

Yes they may turn into Keepers, but picking them right now they are not.

In my view, a Keeper is a sub-category of a Mid-Pricer i.e. it's wrong to think about a player as being a Mid-Pricer or a Keeper.

A Player is either a Premium, a Mid-Pricer, or a Rookie.

Under this umbrella:
- All Premiums are Keepers
- All Rookies are Cash Cows (except in those rare once-a-decade instances)

Mid-Pricers, on the other hand, are made up of a combination of Keepers and Cash Cows.

Ideally, I want my Cash Cows to make 150K. There are of course exceptions, but this is my general hope.

Therefore...

Jack Steven, Docherty, and Devon Smith should absolutely be picked with the expectation of being Keepers.

If Jack Steven makes 150K - i.e. appreciates to 510K - his scoring would be at a premium level, which means you wouldn't sell him. You'd only sell him if he made far less than 150K, which would mean his scoring would have been at a level you didn't expect or hope.

Same for Docherty; same for Devon Smith.

Doedee and Dylan Roberton are prime examples of Mid-Pricers who are Cash Cows. They need to get up to around 410K to be a successful pick.

The BEST mid-pricers are the ones who have an excellent chance of making 150K, and an outside chance of turning into Keepers.
(Roberton this year; Libba last year 320K)

The NEXT BEST mid-pricers are the discounted ones who are clear Keepers.
(Docherty this year)

The only query about this type of player is usually injury.

I currently don't have Jack Steven and/or Devon Smith in my team, for the express reason you stated: I don't believe they're going to score well enough, be fit often enough, to be Keepers. And if they don't turn out to be Keepers, they're going to be failed Cash Cows.

My question for those that have Jack Steven and/or Devon Smith in their teams, but don't count them as Keepers:
How many trades are you calculating you need to complete your team?

I'm having a hard time putting together a team I can complete in under 23 trades. The reason I WANT TO select Devon Smith and Jack Steven is because with them as Keepers, I can put together a team which can be completed with 21-22 trades. The people who pick Jack Steven and/or Devon Smith as hopeful Keepers, but with a view to trading them if they don't work out, aren't going to have the trades to complete their teams (optimally).

I like to exactly know my Keepers, so that regardless of whether they score poorly or well, I resist the temptation of moving them on. I don't even view them as luxury trades, because honestly, when was the last time anyone had trades in hand to make a luxury correction trade? We need to live and die by our Premium selections.

That's my take, anyway. 

eaglesman

I don’t know how long you been round these parts. But thus far you talk a lot of sense compared to some of the crap I read on here.

That being said, is you don’t rate jack Steven as a keeper tell me who you are predicting to be a better f6 by seasons end.

Whitfield Martin Walters Heeney the clear picks at this stage but after that it’s a struggle.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: eaglesman on February 08, 2020, 06:29:00 PM
I don’t know how long you been round these parts. But thus far you talk a lot of sense compared to some of the crap I read on here.

That being said, is you don’t rate jack Steven as a keeper tell me who you are predicting to be a better f6 by seasons end.

Whitfield Martin Walters Heeney the clear picks at this stage but after that it’s a struggle.

My concern with Jack Steven is less with scoring and more with a lack of confidence he'll play 15+ games. How many games does he need to play to justify the pick? (Honestly, it feels such bad form discussing Jack Steven as a SC asset, as there's a person behind the player, and I wish only the best for him).

My problem with Devon Smith is scoring potential (due to where he'll play).

The way my team's currently set up, I absolutely must find one more mid-pricer or I'm going to have a hard time completing it. Most of my premium's are ultra-premiums, and too many of my Rookies are high-priced Rookies. It doesn't feel optimal, but I can't find a structure that works for me. That's why I started this topic.

Your estimations of me will drop when you learn I'm considering: Bailey Smith; A. Brayshaw; C. Rayner.

Btw been a member here since 2011, but in that time mostly a reader. Changed my username last year (was Sonnydark, but the name of my SC team is Colley Dogs). Only really started posting a few years ago, and selectively. I know who you are, of course, and follow your posts with interest  :)

eaglesman

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 08, 2020, 06:49:14 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on February 08, 2020, 06:29:00 PM

My concern with Jack Steven is less with scoring and more with a lack of confidence he'll play 15+ games. How many games does he need to play to justify the pick? (Honestly, it feels such bad form discussing Jack Steven as a SC asset, as there's a person behind the player, and I wish only the best for him).

My problem with Devon Smith is scoring potential (due to where he'll play).

The way my team's currently set up, I absolutely must find one more mid-pricer or I'm going to have a hard time completing it. Most of my premium's are ultra-premiums, and too many of my Rookies are high-priced Rookies. It doesn't feel optimal, but I can't find a structure that works for me. That's why I started this topic.

Your estimations of me will drop when you learn I'm considering: Bailey Smith; A. Brayshaw; C. Rayner.

Btw been a member here since 2011, but in that time mostly a reader. Changed my username last year (was Sonnydark, but the name of my SC team is Colley Dogs). Only really started posting a few years ago, and selectively. I know who you are, of course, and follow your posts with interest  :)

I considered bailey smith for a fleeting moment.
I considered brayshaw for less time than smith.
And Rayner I would pick if I had 40 spots up forward to fill.

F3 is definitely a difficult spot this season.

I feel like you either pay max price for Walters, get the security of a top 6 forward but sacrifice elsewhere.

Go Steven, smith With their risks or the hyped greenwood who I’m not buying into. Or you go the risk of Tom Lynchâ€" someone who has been in my team many times but nervous to take the risk.

Or you pick aiden bonar at f3 and enjoy slow price rises in your forward line. (I just went Steven to bonar for a look and went Houston to jkelly/dunkley)

RaisyDaisy

There are two types of mid-pricers:
- Breakout contenders
- Fallen Prems (due to injury)

Anyone who is picking the likes of Steven, Dev Smith or Docherty - they are clearly fallen prems and you are picking them to be keepers. They are only "mid priced" due to injury, not performance

As for me

D: Docherty & Doedee/Robbo
M: Oliver & Rowell
F: Dev Smith & Hill

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 09, 2020, 11:40:01 AM
There are two types of mid-pricers:
- Breakout contenders
- Fallen Prems (due to injury)

Anyone who is picking the likes of Steven, Dev Smith or Docherty - they are clearly fallen prems and you are picking them to be keepers. They are only "mid priced" due to injury, not performance

As for me

D: Docherty & Doedee/Robbo
M: Oliver & Rowell
F: Dev Smith & Hill

Nice.

You and Eaglesman both have Hill on the Fwd line.

I think you've got that right, and I might need to follow suit.