Rory Laird

Started by Money Shot, January 24, 2020, 12:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Money Shot

Mr. Laird has been a walk up start in my supercoach side for a few seasons now due to him being a super consistent scorer as well as being able to stay on the park consistently as well. Over the last 5 years his average per season has been:
2015: 93.8 - 21 Games
2016: 96.8 - 17 Games
2017: 100.2 - 22 Games
2018: 108.2 - 20 Games
2019: 96.8 - 22 Games
Based on those stats alone he was going to find a way into my team this year as you would think he is a sure thing for a 95+ average with the potential to go 100-105+. However, I have heard from a few different sources as well as people on fanfooty that Gibbs is going to be used off half back this year by the crows. Do you think this could have a negative effect on his scoring?

He is the one guy who is in my team that I am unsure on so thought I may as well open it up to discussion.

SilverLion

He is one guy who ya just know what you'll get from each week. One of the safest picks in any line, and barring injury I don't see how he isn't in the top 6-10 defenders.

I wouldn't worry about Gibbs at all really, he played in the backline for patches last year and was ordinary.

dylanclements

Laird is a safe bet. You'd think he goes ~95 at worst and a ~102 or maybe a click more at best.

I'm not loving the idea of taking too many guesses on fwd prems, so I'm going 4 def prems and 2 fwd prems, with Laird in for me on the back of that.

RaisyDaisy

When someone becomes as reliable as him, he tends to be a bit "boring" in terms of selection, which is why I think people might think about not starting him

He's a very safe selection - you know what you'll get, but I don't think he will rocket up in price so although he is a safe bet to start, I can see why people might not start him and look to bring him in later

Gibbs or anyone else for that matter isn't going to drastically change the way he plays and what he does for the Crows

Holz

I need one sure fire bet down back and its lloyd or laird probably.

Given the 70k difference i just think ill be rolling with Laird.

Boring is exactly what you want as ill have too many other headaches to fit its just nice to see laird 95 just sitting there every week, every year.

LordSneeze

Gibbs is not going to take over from the Laird role. It would be of detriment for the Crows to do that. Plus you have other players who would be ahead of Gibbs for that role. I can see Gibbs coming off Half Forward rather than half back as that is where the likely weakness is for the Crows ATM.

Mat0369

If Gibbs plays half back it probably means the Smith and Milera are playing more in the midfield on a consistent basis. It gives the Crows the outside run they need and they can slot Gibbs to play as a distributor from the backline. Laird managed to function with Smith for a lot of those seasons so it shouldn't see him take a dip. If anything I'd be more inclined to grab Gibbs at his price. He has averaged pretty well playing off half back before.

HappyDEZ

Even though he was slightly down last year it was still good enough for equal 8th average & equal 3rd for overall points as a DEF. Envelope is probs 93 - 103 (hopefully closer to the latter) He will be in my 2020 starting 22.

crowls

Agree with Dez ,Laird is very high probability of top 6 def for points and avg.   resilient and consistent player that is fairly priced

_wato

Lock him up. Second picked behind Doc.

jfitty

Love Laird as a safe pick, best case he gets back around tghat 105 mark, but no way he goes below 95.

Between him, Lloyd and Williams for my D1/D2 spots with Doc at D3.

crowls

Quote from: jfitty on January 30, 2020, 01:07:58 PM
Love Laird as a safe pick, best case he gets back around tghat 105 mark, but no way he goes below 95.

I see risk in Williams until it is clear what role he is playing.   Lloyd falls into my overpriced category that I plan to get around the byes.   Laird, Sicily (fairly priced with upside as less fwd time this year), Doc, Roberton,  and then DoeDee or Hill for D5 with rookies the balance.

RoughRed

Quote from: crowls on January 30, 2020, 06:11:43 PM

I see risk in Williams until it is clear what role he is playing.   Lloyd falls into my overpriced category that I plan to get around the byes.   Laird, Sicily (fairly priced with upside as less fwd time this year), Doc, Roberton,  and then DoeDee or Hill for D5 with rookies the balance.
Laird my 1st pick
Agree on Lloyd pricing
Sicily and brainwave-itis puts him on the outer for me,
Stewart rounds out my 3 prems at the moment

tkringle

Quote from: crowls on January 30, 2020, 06:11:43 PM

That’s my defensive line at the moment as well. Plenty of upside in Sicily this year as hopefully won’t go forward.