Jack Steven

Started by Mahogany, January 14, 2020, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahogany

Bound to be a thread on him eventually. New team, now seemingly focused and fit. Hole in midfield with Kelly leaving. Seriously thinking he is great value?

Peter

Agree - see how he goes in the Marsh series

Money Shot

Martin, Whitfield, Steven and Smith are locked and loaded as my first four forwards at this point in time.

LordSneeze

Quote from: Money Shot on January 14, 2020, 09:24:12 PM
Martin, Whitfield, Steven and Smith are locked and loaded as my first four forwards at this point in time.
Going GG in ruck I just don't feel I can go Whitfield as well, without severely hamstringing my midfield. There are very few locked midfielders for a top 10 Mid position.

I can understand Steven, Is 30 and hasn't been overly injury prone over his career. So there is a 60% that he can get back to the 90-100 average and play 20 games.

Smith I just don't understand, he will be in a lot of teams, which could make him a good POD non selection, He is likely, if fit, to fall somewhere from 75-90 average, probably a 10% chance of a 90+. The main reason in 2018 for his increase in scoring was a substantial increase in his tackle numbers, up 3.2 tackles per game and had 8 games with over 10 tackles. Coming back from a knee injury, I don't really see him coming out an averaging 8-10 tackles per game.
His highest score in the last 4 years has been 125 (57 game sample). In that same sample he has had 14 games under 70 (Approx 25% of games). He hasn't shown to me the propensity of being able to score high enough to offset the spud games that are likely to occur. To me there is a lot more reason to not select than there is to select him.

Money Shot

I think 85-90 from Dev isn’t unrealistic and that is enough for F6 with the forward line crop we have this year.

jfitty

Steven's in my team at the moment, think he could be the bargain of the year if he can go 95+ and play 20 odd games.

The oppurtunity is there with Kelly moving on, just have to see how he goes in the Marsh series

enzedder

Hope Steven does well. That said, he isn’t in my plans.
Will only consider him if forward rookies are so thin that I need to start a mid pricer to sure things up but prefer Smith if I go down that route.
The move down the highway to be closer to friends and family will hopefully help Steven find a better head space and keep his demons at bay. I wish him all the best but he has a mental health issue that could have further implications on his ability to front up each week/ miss weeks on end...(think Beams). It is a risk that has to be considered in picking him.