Macrae vs Dunkley vs Bontempelli

Started by Hoggyz_a_legend, January 08, 2020, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fid

Any thoughts if Bont's captaincy will have a positive or negative effect on his SC scoring? 

Money Shot

Macrae and Dunkley are now locked in my side alongside Cripps. They will be the top 3 mids this year followed by Neale and Fyfe who are also in my side ;)

Peter

Remember that in late August - good luck. Have gone with Bont instead of Dunkley as not sure where he will end up playing with Libba and Wallis to come in, whereas Macrae can only play mid and Bont scores anywhere.

Mat0369

I broke down the numbers with Libba in and out of the side. I have included the Carlton game where he got injured pretty early as a game without him.

With Libba in the side

Dunkley - 103.14
Macrae - 119.5
Bont - 114.64

Without Libba in team

Dunkley - 136.11
Macrae - 128.11
Bont - 111.44

Dunkley sees his number spike to Gaz territory in his average. Macrae also sees a huge spike because he isn't forced out to the wing as much. Bont loses points but it isn't a huge drop off.

Dunkley also averaged 111.3 post bye 2018 when he was put into a full time midfield role. Using the available data, if Libba is out of the team and Dunkley plays in a full time midfield role he is the guy to own and it's not even close. He is also 30k cheaper than Macrae. Macrae is the safer pick because he has the higher floor of the two. Bont probably doesn't gain or lose that much either way with how the Dogs line up.

crowls

Hi Mat,  do those dunkley figures include the games when he was playing fwd and not mid?   

Mat0369

The 2018 figures are from when he came back into the side in round 14 and appeared to play the majority of his footy in the midfield.

The 2019 figures are for every game last year. It has been broken down to include the games that Libba in and out of the side. So it's pretty clear that when Libba plays it impacts Dunkley's role/scoring potential

frenzy

maca 29
dunks 18
bont 10

% of early teams and currently starting all 3.

ubeaut

Quote from: Money Shot on January 24, 2020, 12:04:53 PM
Macrae and Dunkley are now locked in my side alongside Cripps. They will be the top 3 mids this year followed by Neale and Fyfe who are also in my side ;)
Hope you're right, that's my midfield with Oliver instead of Neale.
Hedging my bets with Dunks and Macrae, thinking only one will get tagged and that's if they don't tag Bont first

meow meow

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/4c97eba602c58b299c0874f9c1119b67

“And if my role is a little bit more forward then I will do that for success. My first year I remember that clearly I was playing a lot more forward and I needed to pinch hit in the middle when Bonti was cooked in that finals series.

“I played my role and if that’s what I’ve got to do in 2020 then that’s what I’ve got to do. I’m happy to sacrifice the individual accolades for the team success.”

Go ahead and pick Dunkley the forward!

ubeaut

Quote from: meow meow on January 26, 2020, 02:48:48 AM
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/4c97eba602c58b299c0874f9c1119b67

“And if my role is a little bit more forward then I will do that for success. My first year I remember that clearly I was playing a lot more forward and I needed to pinch hit in the middle when Bonti was cooked in that finals series.

“I played my role and if that’s what I’ve got to do in 2020 then that’s what I’ve got to do. I’m happy to sacrifice the individual accolades for the team success.”

Can't see the rest of the article but this seems speculation on "if" he has to play fwd rather than he's expecting to play fwd.

js19

Quote from: ubeaut on January 26, 2020, 06:56:27 PM
Quote from: meow meow on January 26, 2020, 02:48:48 AM

Can't see the rest of the article but this seems speculation on "if" he has to play fwd rather than he's expecting to play fwd.

Channel 7 reporting Libba will definitely start through the VFL as he struggles with knee soreness. Means there won’t be a real early sample of where Dunks plays when he returns I guess...

RaisyDaisy

Regarding Dunkley, I think it comes down to this:

If you think he is going to go 120+ then back yourself and pick him

If you think he will go 115 or lower, then pick someone else

He's priced at 116 or so, so he's not exactly cheap (unless he goes 120+)

Seems like the safe play is just to pick another mid in that price range who is more proven and has no uncertainty, then look at Dunks as an upgrade target, or if you're happy to riskit for the biscuit get on board

Here's a left field idea - with TK leaving Geelong that might see Jelwood back in the mids - at 465k you can either keep him if he does in fact go back to the 105+ Jelly we know, or if does start off slow and Dunks go nuts it won't be too hard turning Jelwood into Dunks

Ringo

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/01/26/report-key-bulldog-to-miss-start-of-2020-season/

For information Libba may miss start of the season. Tis may ot may not assist with your decisions.

_wato

It’s a tough decision but I’m gonna pick the guy who has back to back 123+ seasons over the other two guys. Don’t care how good Dunkley is he’s an upgrade target for me. FWIW currently have

Neale Macrae Cripps Danger Fyfe. However with cash an issue Fyfe (misses games) would be the one to go for Oliver.

crowls

spot on wato,  swap oliver for fyfe and that is best five with least risk option