The Rookies Thread 2020

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 29, 2019, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frenzy

Dew said Rowell and Anderson could not have prepared better for their debut AFL seasons.

"Their thirst for hard work is so impressive," Dew said. "They’ve walked straight in to our top five runners. They are elite, as it stands now. They are ready to go, they have got mature bodies. They let the footy do the talking, they are not arrogant, they are humble, and the way they are handling the extra attention they are getting is very impressive too."

enzedder

Max King kicked 4 goals in the intra club today. Ratten reckons he is on track for R1.... Could play through to R5 and assess for a rest; could play the first 3; could play the whole year.

Ringo

Quote from: frenzy on February 11, 2020, 11:29:50 PM
Dew said Rowell and Anderson could not have prepared better for their debut AFL seasons.

"Their thirst for hard work is so impressive," Dew said. "They’ve walked straight in to our top five runners. They are elite, as it stands now. They are ready to go, they have got mature bodies. They let the footy do the talking, they are not arrogant, they are humble, and the way they are handling the extra attention they are getting is very impressive too."
Bit expensive though to start both. Unless you have the gonads to start at M5 and M6

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Ringo on February 13, 2020, 07:38:50 PM

Bit expensive though to start both. Unless you have the gonads to start at M5 and M6

I've got Rowell M5 and Stephen/Ando M6 :)

Might be forced to stick with it too if we don't start seeing some decent cheap rookies

frenzy

Quote from: Ringo on February 13, 2020, 07:38:50 PM

At the minute, most teams are looking at either the expensive rookies or a who's who of the  returning hospital ward

RaisyDaisy

Thought I'd make another update since starting this

DEF
Still looking pretty thin down back. McAsey and Young are looking likely to debut but aren't cheap at 180k+. Starcevich is still in the mix for Brisbane but even he isn't a cheapo at 147k

In terms of the 123k and below guys, we might get 1 of the Swans (Gould/Ling/Stoddart) but that's about it. I see a lot of people using the likes of Rivers, Bianco etc as placeholders but as of today, I don't think any of those cheap guys are playing Round 1 so I'd be thinking about contingency plans if you're currently running with multiple cheap guys down back

Just to be safe, and realistic, I've actually got Starcevich at D7 for now - I think that's a good idea to allocate that extra cash there for now

MID
Things aren't looking great here either for us bargain hunters. Rowell, Anderson and Stephen all seem likely to play Round 1 but that's a fair chunk of cash if you're starting more than 1 of them

Cockatoo seems like a fair chance at 146k, but as we know he falls apart like a cheap suit so carries risk

Pickett is a lock, and I still think McHenry is too so I've got him in my side, but from the rest of the 123k and below guys there hasn't been a lot of encouraging news about any of them likely debuting Round 1.

Of course we'll all be watching the Marsh series and hoping for a few to pop up, but from everything I've read I would say the players who are somewhat of a chance are: Bytel, Valente, Simpson, Maginness, Mead, Robertson, Warner, Budarick. Even half of them are a stretch, but they're a (small) chance

FWD
All of a sudden it's sounding like this is where we will have most rookies. Most of them probably won't be good scorers, but at least we can now start to stack other lines or look at other structures if we know we'll be able to pick 4 fwd rookies for example

Bonar (DPP), Bergman, Cockatoo (DPP), Georgiades, Cox, Hosie, King, Kreuger, McAdam, Rankine, Sturt, Mahoney (DPP) and Skinner are all names that have popped up in articles over the past month - I'm not saying they're all big chances, some certainly are, but that's a big list of names to use as placeholders which is encouraging

Hopefully we'll see some other names pop up over the coming weeks too, but for now I think that's a fairly realistic outlook

frenzy

You got an itch RD, lol.  It’s hard predicting round one teams in February Something will pop up, always does.

Ringo

Nice summary RD - Expect maybe some more to jump up as well and we wait anxiously.

Like you using a couple of expensive rookies as  place holders to cover contingencies. Big issue as usual picking the right ones and hoping they do not get dropped after Rd 1 or 2 and get stuck on the bench.

eaglesman

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: eaglesman on February 15, 2020, 02:21:11 PM
Cockatoo injury hurts

He got injured again? Can't see any mention of it

Danger said this yesterday about Cockatoo

"He is a supremely talented player that, at his best, can really change the dynamic in our forward line and midfield but we have got to make sure we bulletproof him enough so he can do that for sustained periods of time," Dangerfield said.

"We will build him up slowly so he can withstand a full season."

I reckon he's likely going to be a trap - he just seems to be made of glass and I'd prefer not to pick him

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 15, 2020, 02:28:07 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on February 15, 2020, 02:21:11 PM
Cockatoo injury hurts

He got injured again? Can't see any mention of it

Danger said this yesterday about Cockatoo

"He is a supremely talented player that, at his best, can really change the dynamic in our forward line and midfield but we have got to make sure we bulletproof him enough so he can do that for sustained periods of time," Dangerfield said.

"We will build him up slowly so he can withstand a full season."

I reckon he's likely going to be a trap - he just seems to be made of glass and I'd prefer not to pick him

Yup he’s unlikely round 1 so he’s gone Georgiades in for now

_wato

That's fine if Cock misses Round 1. Nice little DG option early.

_wato

FWIW my rookies currently

Gould/Williamson/Brander
Rowell/Stephens/Pickett/McHenry/Maginness/Mead
Cameron
Jones/Rankine/Georgiades/King

Also jumping on the Chayce bandwagon for now.
Bonar seems the only rookie I don't have that I could jump on if need be.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 15, 2020, 08:29:28 AM

DEF
Still looking pretty thin down back. McAsey and Young are looking likely to debut but aren't cheap at 180k+. Starcevich is still in the mix for Brisbane but even he isn't a cheapo at 147k

In terms of the 123k and below guys, we might get 1 of the Swans (Gould/Ling/Stoddart) but that's about it. I see a lot of people using the likes of Rivers, Bianco etc as placeholders but as of today, I don't think any of those cheap guys are playing Round 1 so I'd be thinking about contingency plans if you're currently running with multiple cheap guys down back

Just to be safe, and realistic, I've actually got Starcevich at D7 for now - I think that's a good idea to allocate that extra cash there for now

MID
Things aren't looking great here either for us bargain hunters. Rowell, Anderson and Stephen all seem likely to play Round 1 but that's a fair chunk of cash if you're starting more than 1 of them

Cockatoo seems like a fair chance at 146k, but as we know he falls apart like a cheap suit so carries risk

Pickett is a lock, and I still think McHenry is too so I've got him in my side, but from the rest of the 123k and below guys there hasn't been a lot of encouraging news about any of them likely debuting Round 1.

Of course we'll all be watching the Marsh series and hoping for a few to pop up, but from everything I've read I would say the players who are somewhat of a chance are: Bytel, Valente, Simpson, Maginness, Mead, Robertson, Warner, Budarick. Even half of them are a stretch, but they're a (small) chance

FWD
All of a sudden it's sounding like this is where we will have most rookies. Most of them probably won't be good scorers, but at least we can now start to stack other lines or look at other structures if we know we'll be able to pick 4 fwd rookies for example

Bonar (DPP), Bergman, Cockatoo (DPP), Georgiades, Cox, Hosie, King, Kreuger, McAdam, Rankine, Sturt, Mahoney (DPP) and Skinner are all names that have popped up in articles over the past month - I'm not saying they're all big chances, some certainly are, but that's a big list of names to use as placeholders which is encouraging

Hopefully we'll see some other names pop up over the coming weeks too, but for now I think that's a fairly realistic outlook

Completely agree, RD. This is why I've been making the case for Bonar at F3.

Not because I like the move, but because I've invested so much cash in my Rookies (8x 140K), and structuring up with Docherty F3 / Oliver M5 / Gawn R2 you have to give up the mid-pricer Forward option (Steven / Smith)  and go straight to the Rookies at F3.

eaglesman

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 15, 2020, 03:32:47 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 15, 2020, 08:29:28 AM

DEF

MID

FWD

Completely agree, RD. This is why I've been making the case for Bonar at F3.

Not because I like the move, but because I've invested so much cash in my Rookies (8x 140K), and structuring up with Docherty F3 / Oliver M5 / Gawn R2 you have to give up the mid-pricer Forward option (Steven / Smith)  and go straight to the Rookies at F3.

I have gone the other way haha. I’m considering Steven at f4 and smith f5 and sacrificing m5 for now. Rowell bonar and Stephens are all in my midfield though and I may even go further and select Anderson/Flanders as well  if they look safe.