The Rookies Thread 2020

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 29, 2019, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy10

Quote from: Pokerface on March 10, 2020, 05:10:50 PM
Noone seems to be pointing to a media source where he said it, but several sc sources on twitter stating Dew naming Rowell, Anderson, Budarik and Rankine to debut rd 1.

https://twitter.com/SCElites/status/1237213034239512577
Not surprising, but exactly what we wanted.

Pokerface

Quote from: Colty on March 10, 2020, 04:25:57 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on March 10, 2020, 10:35:47 AM
Quote from: Colty on March 10, 2020, 10:18:34 AM
Luke Jackson, 70 points from 48% game time......
Playing in the ruck, when Gawn was sitting on the bench the whole time.....
I get that.... but if he’s getting a game and playing 20% ruck as a chop out and averaging 60-70  he’s worth a pick.

I'm not going there, and wouldn't recommend it.. but in fairness there is the thought that Jackson would also occassionally see some CBA action as an onballer, a la Roughy. I believe this happened in one of the practice games or scratch matches.

Money Shot

Quote from: tommy10 on March 10, 2020, 05:24:44 PM
Noone seems to be pointing to a media source where he said it, but several sc sources on twitter stating Dew naming Rowell, Anderson, Budarik and Rankine to debut rd 1.

Not surprising, but exactly what we wanted.
Was hoping McLennan would be on that list too :/

Money Shot

Also does anyone have any idea on why Gould didn’t play this weekend? Looked really good in the first game.

jfitty

Quote from: Money Shot on March 10, 2020, 09:04:21 PM
Also does anyone have any idea on why Gould didn’t play this weekend? Looked really good in the first game.

The “glass half full” side of me wonders whether they’d seen enough of him? But Lloyd and Mills coming back and him not playing is concerning for his round 1 prospects

RaisyDaisy

This sort of stuff irks me

All these "SC Twitter" accounts stating it like it's fact, when all Dew said was that those guys were in the mix

Of course a coach isn't going to state 4 rookies are debuting when there's still 10 days until they play  ::)

"They [Rowell and Anderson] will be hard to keep out. They are tracking really well, Connor Budarick as well,” coach Stuart Dew said.

“He has had a good summer. I think we are all excited for when Izak plays his first game, we would love for that to be round one,” Dew said.

It's encouraging, but not fact like all these twitter accounts are portraying

Mat0369

Quote from: Money Shot on March 10, 2020, 09:04:21 PM

He lookee like he did enough in the first pre-season game, but they moved Lewy Taylor behind the ball on the weekend and he had an excellent game. If Taylor stunk it up or Taylor and Gray were competing for the same forward spot I think Gould would be locked in. I'd still have a little hope he gets named but it's looking a tad doubtful

Gavdroid

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 10, 2020, 10:07:06 PM

All these "SC Twitter" accounts stating it like it's fact, when all Dew said was that those guys were in the mix

Of course a coach isn't going to state 4 rookies are debuting when there's still 10 days until they play  ::)

"They [Rowell and Anderson] will be hard to keep out. They are tracking really well, Connor Budarick as well,” coach Stuart Dew said.

“He has had a good summer. I think we are all excited for when Izak plays his first game, we would love for that to be round one,” Dew said.

Sharp wasn't mentioned? 5 debutantes from one team might be a bit much to hope for.

If people are looking at 200k rookies is Tyson Stengle worth a look? Probably takes Betts' spot at the Crows

IntegralX

Quote from: Gavdroid on March 10, 2020, 11:53:55 PM

Sharp wasn't mentioned? 5 debutantes from one team might be a bit much to hope for.

If people are looking at 200k rookies is Tyson Stengle worth a look? Probably takes Betts' spot at the Crows

Crocker would get the first crack at that spot before Stengle no? Crocker's output was ok in the 2 games...

Mat0369

Mitch Hibberd is listed as a test for the Bombers. I doubt he would play straight up round 1 but might be one to keep an eye on

Gavdroid

Quote from: IntegralX on March 10, 2020, 11:55:00 PM

Crocker would get the first crack at that spot before Stengle no? Crocker's output was ok in the 2 games...

Actually yeah, probably right. Could be a case of one in one out throughout the season too

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 10, 2020, 11:56:47 PM
Mitch Hibberd is listed as a test for the Bombers. I doubt he would play straight up round 1 but might be one to keep an eye on

If the mid rookie situation remains as bad as it appears, there's a fair chance I might just start him - he can sit at M11 and be used to loop until he debuts

Alternatively he will be a handy downgrade target

TomK

Stengle's a lock, Crocker is competing with Davis/Murphy/Himmelberg/Frampton (only one of Himm/Frampton picked if either) for three spots in R1.

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 11, 2020, 01:15:29 AM
Quote from: Mat0369 on March 10, 2020, 11:56:47 PM

If the mid rookie situation remains as bad as it appears, there's a fair chance I might just start him - he can sit at M11 and be used to loop until he debuts

Alternatively he will be a handy downgrade target

IntegralX

Quote from: TomK on March 11, 2020, 01:16:32 AM

Stengle's a lock, Crocker is competing with Davis/Murphy/Himmelberg/Frampton (only one of Himm/Frampton picked if either) for three spots in R1.

Crocker isn't competing with Himmelberg/Frampton. They're talls. He's competing with Davis/Murphy/Stengle, and has clearly been the best of that quartet through the Marsh games. All 4 of them played in both.